What's this powder suited for?

ScottRiqui

When my skipper transferred to Italy and couldn't ship his gunpowder, he gave a bunch of it to me. I recognized the pistol powders and will have a use for them, but I don't reload any rifle calibers except .223. In with everything else was eight pounds of IMR4895 and sixteen pounds of WC860.

Are there any calibers/loads where these powders are really popular? I'd like to be able to give/trade them to someone that can use them.

griz

4895 probably is useful in more rifle rounds than almost anything else. It is great in 223, 308, and most middle of the road rounds. It also has applications in many others, like the 30-06 and larger rounds. I have not used 860, but I understand it is a slower powder well suited for the big magnum rounds and smaller screamers such as the 25-06.

Kayser

IMR4895 is a superb powder for 308 and 30-06. It was developed back in the day specifically for M2 ball (Garand ammo). It does wonders for my bolt action 308.

PawPaw

From Jeff Bartlett's GI Brass:
WC-860 Original application is U.S. .50 Cal. BMG ammo, used for the Ball M33 and API M8 projectile. A ball powder which can be loaded using Hodgdon H870 or AA8700 data.

On the other hand, IMR 4895 was designed for the .30-06 and is still a very standard powder in that caliber. It has a lot of useful applications in other calibers as well. I currently have IMR 4895 data for .223, .243, .30-30 .308, .30-06, and .45-70. It's a great cast bullet powder as well.

When I get a new caliber, one of the first things I do is work up a load with IMR 4895. It's a standard powder on my bench and I buy it in 8 lb jugs.