What's this Model 94 30-30 worth?

buymore

I just found a "like new" Win. 94 in 30-30. It is a newer one (6 million serial range) with the crossbolt safety, but looks like it may have only had about 3-4 rds through it since unboxed. It is a 94AE, I believe the barrel length is considered 20"? Has the lighter birch stock that is virtually flawless. Metal is as new, close to perfect. I would get the rifle along with 4 boxes of Super X Silvertip and 2 boxes of Super X Power-Point ammo. I figure the ammo is worth around $100 by itself. I always wanted a levergun, but wanted one I could afford to shoot...hence the 30-30. I plan on using it for hog hunting and maybe some whitetail in West Virginia or PA in the future. I already found some Millet see-thru ring/mounts for it and have a 4x32 scope to put on it. What would be a good fair price to pay for this package?

ken22250

i wouldnt pay much for any gun made by the USRAC, they didnt deserve to be called a winchester, but they work, i would put the ammo at arround $90, i would say in the 200-250 range MAX, you can pick up a new marlin 336 at dicks after hunting season for $300, with a 3-9x40 scope, and on a better quality gun (between a USRAC M94AE and Marlin 336 the marlin is far superior)
ken

L_Killkenny

For ammo I'd say $10/box. You can still buy it from Walmart for $13/box. SO why pay retail from this guy?

A late production "like new" Winchester 94AE is worth as much as $400. Are they as good as they were from 1894 to 1964? No. Are they as good as a Marlin 336? Up for debate but I like the feel of the Winchesters 10 fold. But it is a fact that it's still, in today's market, worth $300 min, $400 max givin the buyer/seller. I have an early 80's pre-crossbolt safety Win 94AE that I am perfectly happy with. I had an older pre AE Win94 That I also liked and wish I had back.

I hear stories all the time of people seeing Win 94's al over for $200 on down. Never see any proof though. Mostly internet fluff.

Do some research over on Gunbroker for more information.

LK

Tom2

I'd be d--ned if I would pay 400$ for a late production standard 94 30-30. I used to see them for as little as 150$ used, and I don't know, I might have spent two-something hundo for my last Winchester 94 that was a modern gun. Paid more for a prewar version once. Was underwhelmed by the rough machine work inside. The very best shooting 94 I ever had was a 1960's model that resembled a commemorative, but was not. It had the ugly black chrome receiver with the ersatz swirl engraving. Gold colored loading gate and some other component was gold tone too. I replace them with blued. The basis of the accuracy was it had an octagon barrel. Only 20 inches long though. Was actually a sort of heavy barrel short rifle not a carbine. Super great shooter. Looked pretty good after the flash was removed. I shoulda kept it. Still, 400$ for a dirt common Win., 6 million made? Pfffft!

buymore

I know I can buy Core Lok and blue box Federals for $13/box at my Walmart, but the Winchester Silvertip is up over $20/box anywhere I can still find it. Sure I wouldn't pay that much for it if it wasn't exactly what I wanted, but I definately would use it and would gladly have the Silvertip over regular plain Jane soft points.

As far as modern versions verses later versions, since posting this question, I have found several other online references regarding the different companies making guns for Winchester over the years. On the Model 94's there seems to be only a slightly higher value assigned to pre-64 verses post-64 Model 94's. I'd say around 10-15% maximum. I'm finding prices in the range of $200 up to $450 for like new post 64 guns. And honestly, that is the prices they are selling for......not the high reserved price guns that don't sell. $200 will get you a gun with virtually no finish, $450 will get you NEW in the Box. I cant find store brand Marlins or Winchesters in beater shape for under $200 in NE Ohio lately. I've been looking and I refuse to pay $200+ for a beater, rust covered off branded version.

I didn't ask for anyone's opinion on the model 94 verses another model, just an approximate value to consider it. I have found most of my answer after posting, but I'm alarmed at the negativity given when it wasn't what I asked for?

Anyways. I bought the 94 and got the 125 rds of Winchester Silvertip with it. The gun looks like it has been fired maybe two-to-three rds through it at most. The fit and finish appear to be fairly good, no noticable machining marks that I can see. I paid $350 total cash and I figure that I got it for around $250 for the gun and I have some good ammo to hunt with. I'll buy some cheaper stuff to plink and sight in with. I wan't finding much in the way of looks of function for $250 recently! I'll shoot it and take care of it because being a Winchester....it will increase in value!!!!! They all seem to go up sooner or later!

L_Killkenny

You got a good deal. Actually, the worst of the Win94's IMO were the post 64's up to the early 80's whne they came out with the AE's. Believe it or not, the AE's were an improvement to the crud made in the late 60's and 70's. Those years had a god awful receiver that would rust if you looked at them and the plated receiver would eventually fall away. Very bad. The pre AE Winchester was one of those but it shot real nice.

They're lots of fun, have at it!

LK

By the way, go over to the forums at Paco Kelly's Leverguns. Lots of good info on improving the trigger and removeing the crossbolt safety.

CajunBass

I used to see them for as little as 150$ used, and I don't know, I might have spent two-

So what? I USED to see them for $150.00 brand new at Sears and Roebuck. The Ted Williams/Sears guns were even cheaper.

That was then, this is now.

CraigC

You got a good deal! About what I would've expected for the Ranger model with the birch stock. IMHO, you should skip the goofy see-thru mounts and scope and put a Lyman or Williams peep sight on it. They will do everything you need a .30-30 carbine to do and won't adversely affect handling. You're just not gonna get a good cheek weld with those jacked-up see-thru mounts and a 4x scope will affect your close range target acquisition.

buymore

Does the Ranger Model say "Ranger" on it? This one doesn't say Ranger anywhere. It's stamped "Winchester Model 94AE CAL 30-30 WIN" No RANGER anywhere I see. I did see one while searching that actually had "RANGER" stamped there in the same place. It may be a light colored walnut too? I'll take the buttplate off and see what it really is.

I already put the see-thru's and 4x32 scope on it tonight and it is a very high cheek weld for sure! I'm going to sight it in for just about 80-100 yds and that's it. I was told that most of our hog shots will be under 100 yds. I was disappointed in the Millet ring/mount set though. I got it from a seller on Ebay that had several of the same item for sale. It was new, sealed and all, but the two rear screws (which were sealed in a plastic bag) were too short. They didn't even extend out of the bottom of the base. I checked all my machine/gun screws and I had nothing to match what I needed. There was enough depth on the base that I just took a bottom drill bit and turned the holes a little deeper by hand in my T-handle. I got about four threads of the 6/48 screws through the base and got it installed. Right now it will work since I need it sighted in, shipped to the location and ready to go for October 7th. I'm trying to give myself enough time for any shipping problems also. I may contact Millet about possibly getting another base with the correct length screws. Who knows, maybe they'll just replace it? Worth a try!

Skans

the worst of the Win94's IMO were the post 64's up to the early 80's

I happent to have one of those 30-30's. And, I'd agree with this statement. The receivers were plated and would get rust spots on them quite easily - they really can't be refinished either. The wood is stained and difficult to refinish as well.

However, that being said (admittedly they are "ugly" guns) THEY DO WORK! I acquired my post 64 30-30 together with an 1950's SKS rifle for $200. I sold off the SKS and ended up keeping the 30-30 which ended up costing me $25. I'd value the 30-30 at $100 - $150. It shoots just fine and I keep it at a cabin I have on some land for plinking, hunting sometimes, protection or whatever - Eventhough I keep it lubed and oiled, I'm not exactly going to worry about surface rust. If someone were to ever steal it, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. And, it would be very easy for me to identify it in any decent photo posted on various auction sites (not that it's going to be a "hot" seller).:D

buymore

Good news on the rear base and screws: I called Millet (which was recently bought by Bushnell according to the CS person) I told the lady that I got the mounts and the two screws were too short so I did some home smithing to make them work, but I would like to at least have the correct screws to get a few more threads into the receiver. I did tell her that I don't expect a new base since I altered that in my attempt to make the short screws work. My answer from her was "don't worry about it, our fault for putting the wrong screws in, I'll completely replace the product."

KUDOs to Bushnell for awesome customer service!

dgludwig

IMHO, you should skip the goofy see-thru mounts and scope and put a Lyman or Williams peep sight on it. They will do everything you need a .30-30 carbine to do and won't adversely affect handling. You're just not gonna get a good cheek weld with those jacked-up see-thru mounts and a 4x scope will affect your close range target acquisition.

Best advice you're going to get regarding sighting the little 94.

oneoldsap

Pop Gun

2 cents , 1 cent with see thru mounts . Scoping a 30-30 is alot like putting a to-to on a pig . Makes you think you can kill something over 100Yds away . I know alot of deer have been taken with a 30-30 and I would guess three times as many have been wounded with them !!:mad:

koolminx

160 yards, dead run, my lovely mommy at age 53 dropped a nice 4 pt Mulie in the mountains of central Utah....

ONE SHOT MOMMA we called her after that. 30/30 WILL do it.

Pops started shooting at it with is 300 win mag as it was running dead for him at about 200 yards. He missed horribly :D It turned to the right and Mom stood up and dropped it then told dad to go get it. :D

abuyalos

350 for all of that was a great deal. When I noticed the post I was going to suggest about 350 for just the gun, but the ammo is a great bonus at that price.