What's this I've heard about ELECTRONIC FIRE CONTROL SYSTEM in handguns and rifles???

It was back before the Y2K when a friend told me about the new firearms in the 21st Century. One thing was about the FCG that touches off the firing pin using electronics means, rather than mechanical means.

Anyone heard more about that? When can we see it? I'm sure this'll improve the trigger pull to say the least. ;)

Dogjaw

Remington offers the EtronX bolt rifle and factory ammo in .22-250, .220 Swift, and .243 Win. Shooting Times Magazine has a very good article in the current Feb, 2002 issue on it. They also have reloading data. According to ST, you use the same dies and primer feed system as for large rifle primers. So, if you have a conventional .243, you use the same set up for a .243 EtronX. The EtronX primers are now available. The battery in the rifle lasts for 1500 - 2000 firings. It has a low battery indication and "safe off" indicator in the top of the stock.
ST says that this isn't exactly a new idea. The British were playing with the idea for shotguns back in the 19th century. It's the first comercially manufactured system by an American firm.

12-34hom

Kinda suprised the benchrest community has not picked up on this. Or has it been tried?

Lock times = micro seconds, wondering if this would help accuracy in a tuned bench gun?

12-34hom.

C.R.Sam

electrically actuated sears over 50 years old.
Electircally popped primers been in the military around that long.

Not new, just takin a while to catch on with the general masses.

Electric trigger match pistols have the ultimate trigger pull.

When the batteries are good.

Sam

Khornet

Electronic triggers

Were tried experimentally by Winchester in at least one Model 52B in the thirties, I beleive.

jason10mm

Methinks this concept is going to be very big in the civilian world. I can easily imagine Kali and other nazi states mandating electronic triggers that can be remotely disconnected by police, need a battery to fire (which must be removed for storage), and may be more receptive to some sort of "shooter ID" system. Once the technology matures a bit I think there is great promise in it, but I'm sure the "consumer safety" groups will rush it to market so it will be expensive, unreliable, and fragile, all to more quickly destroy the gun community. I bet within 10 years there will be a gun with a USB port so we can connect it to our computers and adjust trigger pull, get a time-stamped shot record, and add users to the ID database. LAter.

striderteen

Smart guns, bah. We already have to bash people over the head with "don't rely on the safety!", now it's going to be "don't rely on the safety or the smart lock!"

I predict that the introduction of smart guns -- especially legally mandated smart guns -- will greatly increase the number of careless accidents with guns, especially involving children (just like "childproof" medicine bottles did).

I also predict that Kali will do it. I will then move to Nevada.

Archer1440

Without taking the detour down the road of LA city council science fiction "signature guns", I would point out that some very fine match rifles and pistols like my Walther KK200 .22 rifle and the Morini ISSF match pistols, have had electronic solenoid actuated sears available for quite a while.

They add about $200.00 of cost to the rifle. Decreased lock time is the main attraction. Battery's good for at least 5000 shots.

The Remington (and before that, several HK prototypes) go beyond that, with actual electronic ignition of the primer.

Hmm... new safety rule, # 4... don't shuffle your feet across the carpet before touching the trigger guard !! :eek:

SpazzTrap

When they talk about the battery in these, what are they talking about. Is it a special bettery specific to the product, or can you just slap a 9 volt in the grip handle?

ZipTieNinja

Childs stuff.....

This is old tech, just geting some sun. As the others have said, it has been around for 50 or 60 years, and is now completly obsolete! I for one will never own a gun that needs batteries to function. Any fool with an electronics manual can make an EMP devise that will fry the electronics in the gun! You want a BG, or nazi like gov to set off an EMP, then break your door down!?

If you have not had the opportunity to read about this, you need to now. This is real, and it will be in this country soon. We need to boycott any defensive weapons with this! Here is the link, you need to take a look.

www.metalstorm.com

Target rifles are one thing, I even checked to see if my rifle could be modified for an electrically actuated sear, but NO defensive gun should have any electronics in it! Take this as a small step in the dirrection of dissarming the public. Take this very seriously, it is bigger than you think.

Sorry if I come off to strong with this, but this has the potential to be a very, very bad problem. :(