What's the worst-tasting game animal you've eaten?

DennisCA

Years ago (back east) my dad shot a decent-sized buck who had lived in a swamp, the worst tasting deer meat I've every eaten! Bacon helped but not much :rolleyes:
He was also in the full rut but I don't think that affected the meat that much. My dad shot the buck with one shot and it dropped in it's tracks, we gutted the animal where it laid (as we normally did). The animal was processed as we normally did - we let it hang for a couple of day, if I remember it was cold as hell after the deer was shot.
I've shot bucks in a full rut and the meat tasted fine.

Shooter 973

Worst tasting game animal,

Pronghorn Antilope. Must have been old, or run a long ways. Now i know why they are called "speed goats' Very strong, gamey taste. :(

Pahoo

My Cooking

I once shot, cooked and ate a big Buck Raccoon. It was pretty bad and I guess what they say is true about you have to know what you are doing. A couple of months later, there was a Wild-Game-Feed at a local black-church, ate Raccoon and it was excellent. ..... :)

Other than that, "some" ducks, especially the divers, are too gamey for me .. ;)

Be Safe !!!

979Texas

To be honest with you about 10 years ago I was in Wyoming for a summer vacation and I ate at a place that served a lot of fairly exotic wild game on the menu. So I ordered a Yak burger and it was very bad tasting. The little flavor that it did have was very gamey and bland. So Yak is the only wild game I have eaten that I did not like.

Panfisher

Tried a beaver tail one time, tossed on the grill till the skin bubbled up and peeled it off, seasoned and cooked it, nasty, greasy.

Close second would be a prairie chicken.

armabill

It depends on what country or countries that your talking about.
The worst meat that I had was dog, very tough. Now in some countries, dog could be classified as game.

aarondhgraham

No doubt about it,,,

Fruit Bat in the Philippines.

Nasty doesn't even begin to describe it.

I guess it was "game" because the local kid shot it with a Wrist Rocket.

Worst thing from America was possum,,,
Greasy and gray.

Aarond

Saltydog235

Worst was a deer roast that was given to my dad about 35yrs ago. The deer was killed on a dog drive and had been run a while. To this day I still have a hard time eating a venison roast, I can smell that thing every time. I never get roasts.

Next would be a goose I killed and cooked. I evidently did something wrong.

Snyper

A Merganser that I ended up cooking for nearly three hours and was still red and bloody inside, and tasted like bad fish

BillM

Whale. Had some whale jerky that was smoked over--I'm really not sure
I WANT to know what it was smoked over! The longer I chewed the nastier it
got.

zach_

People :rolleyes: cooking can screw up any given meat that exists, but duck seems to be hard to get right. Bad duck is awful. Good duck is an unexpected treat.

dahermit

Ducks taste different by species. For me, Wood Duck tastes the best at almost 100% of their food being vegetable. Had a girl friend who prefered Blue Wing Teal over Wood Duck. Buffle Heads are bug-eating divers that taste like gasoline. Mergansers will taste like the fish they eat...no surprise there.
I have seen Goose mentioned as being unpleasant tasting. Not so. The Canada Goose, if not skinned (dip in boiling water with a cake of paraffin floating on top, pull the feathers leaving the skin intact), but roasted with the skin on, just like turkey, will produce a coarse-grained dark meat that most would think is pot-roast of beef. Only a troglodyte would skin a goose, duck, pheasant and expect the outcome to taste good.

upstate81

A nasty venison neck roast. Was from a 200 pound dressed out buck. Was like chewing on a tire. Not a venison roast fan of any kind. Goose is only good to me when made into jerky. Now thats good stuff.