what's the technique

tackdriver

Okay, I've finally found the money and the time and I'm going to buy something shinny this weekend.
I just want to know WHAT to do in order to not get screwed on a price and how to jive with the dealer. I know what I can expect to pay for the guns I'm looking at, but is it okay to bargain?
I shoot long arms frequently, but I haven't shot a pisol in YEARS. I'm fairly confident that I could shoot a revolver okay, but a semi...I'm not so sure about that. I want to buy one this weekend and I want to be able to try a few out, but are they going to help me out?
Should I bring eye and ear protection?
How much money for extraneous costs (test ammo, range fees)?
Any tips would be appreciated.

JG

Assuming the dealer your going to has a range, they should have eye/ear protection to rent if you don't bring your own- they will most likely charge you a range fee, Targets, Ammo, Rental guns (if they have them)- some of those costs may be waved, or refunded after you purchase a gun (depends on the dealer). Most dealers will have a slightly discounted cash price Vs. using a Credit Card. You should be careful though because some dealers prices vary "greatly" from one to another (My range has HK compacts for $724-no joke, where the dealer that I usually buy from has them stickered at $615)- hey, the $110 difference buys alot of ammo.

Steve Smith

If you're at a dealer who specializes in new guns, chances are that the price you see is what you pay. Shop around-a lot, because her in my town, I can pay up to $150 less in some places than others for the same gun. If you go to a dealer that has a range and rental guns, try everything you're interested in. More than likely, they won't have rental guns or a range. When it's like that, you just have to try the trigger a lot (after asking permission) and check to see that the gun cycles well. If you know the caliber you want to buy, get some snap caps and load 'em in the mag (with permission) and see how the gun feeds with them. (you'll need 'em anyway for dry fire practice). Try to get the best feeling gun you can. Most ranges will have eye/ear protection, but get your own anyway. If you shoot your new gun, make sure to at least push a dry patch through the barrel before commencing. Range costs? I'd say expect $5-$15. Extraneous costs? Take a $50...that should cover anything like ammo, targets and this and that. The cheapie 50 cent ear plugs dampen noise the best, and are easier on the beginner's budget. Charging more for credit card sales is illegal.

------------------
Frontsight!
=========================
"Put a rifle in the hands of a Subject, and he immediately becomes a Citizen." -- Jeff Cooper

Will Beararms

Go shopping! If possible, travel to at least five gun shops in your area and compare prices.

I have found that the high-volume shops have the best prices. The $50.00 to $75.00 you save can be used for training and range time.

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."