What's the scoop on the Wilson ADP?

Capt. Dixie

The new Wilson ADP got a great review in the recent Concealed Carry publication.
Wondering if anyone has one and give a report to the rest of us? TIA.

Last edited:

austinguy23

I posted the same question a while back (maybe on a diff forum). Apparently other publications and users who have shot the gun have stated that it requires cleaning after only 50 or so rounds to remove residue gunk. Pretty disappointing...

Davis

It is from the Heritage Stealth, which comes from the South African made Truvelo pistols. The Wilson Combat ADP actually uses Truvelo's name for the pistol. An interesting aside, Truvelo came up with the shortened 45 to fit in the 9mm/40S&W frame several years before Glock, the .45ADP. Glock copied the idea, though the GAP and ADP are somewhat different in design. Truvelo still produces firearms. Here's a link to the original manufacturer.

http://www.truvelo.co.za/armoury/a_index.html

Of course, you can get the same info over at Modern Firearms. Interestingly, I never knew that Tanfoglio briefly produced them, too.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg183-e.htm

BigJimP

I don't have one and I don't know of anyone that has bought one unfortunately - but I have a hard time believing that Wilson will not stand behind this gun, just like their 1911's.

For under $600 - I'm temped to just buy one for the heck of it.

ScaryWoody

I have the Heritage Stealth (new $150). It's a small, accurate, very concealable pistol. Because it is a gas operated pistol, it does generate a great deal of heat. After one mag it is hot. For defensive purposes, not a big deal. If used for range work, it needs a good cleaning after 50 rounds as mentioned to keep the gas hole clear.

The Wilson ADP looks to be a straight import of the South African pistol. Of course, Wilson doubles the price.

Erich

My Heritage Stealth (new $295 in the mid-'90s - Woody must have found an amazing deal to get one new at $150) worked flawlessly. I did not care for the silly added-on safety, which engaged so loosely that I was always concerned about it self-engaging when I'd want it off.

I was amazed at Wilson's list price for the gun, and not impressed with the finger extensions that they've added onto the mags. Alex du Plessis invented a neat design, though, and I'm sure the gun would work just fine. I'm sorry to see that Wilson didn't go to the ADP's original 12-round mag capacity now that the AWB is over - it looks like they just bought Heritage's tooling instead.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Let's put it this way: Wilson must've paid a ton for the new rollmark dies. :p

(I think it's hilarious. Not as funny as the Sarsilmaz, excuse me, Armalite CZ, which costs more than the Czech original. Ah well, it's a free market, baby! :D )

richnorm

Heritage Stealth

I am looking for a Stealth in 9mm if anyone knows somebody that would sell one at a decent price. Could have/should have bought one when they were in production, but we all know how that goes. Please Email me at rn7755@msn.com
Thanks!
Rich Norman

pietskiet

i am from sa and own a truvelo adp mk2 in .40. 8 round cap. Nice carry gun. But it is rough and needs some internal polishing. The mk1 was crap and gave it a bad name!

PSP

Do a search and you'll find some very scary posts about the Wilson ADP. I had a interest in one until I read too many negative reports.