What's the point of your pistol caliber AR/Carbine?

dakota.potts

No hate, just curiosity.

Saw on article in the American Rifleman magazine about the Just Right Carbine in 9mm and .40. My family was talking about and I was curious about what the point was of an AR-15 platform in a pistol caliber. We do have one in .22 because it's so cheap and easy to shoot.

I know that the longer barrel increases velocity and accuracy. I've also thought that a Keltec Sub2K or similar carbine might be great for home defense because of the high capacity, low recoil, comparatively low muzzle flash and penetration, etc.

I'm just wondering about the purpose of specifically adapting the magwell and upper receiver for an AR 15 for a handgun cartridge.

Those who own them, what do you own/use them for? Indoor shooting ranges? Hunting? Home defense? Or just because you can and enjoy it? If there is a specific reason, what makes it a better option for you than a rifle cartridge? If it's an AR-15 mod, why that rifle vs. a carbine like a Keltec or Beretta Storm?

Theohazard

dakota.potts said:
I know that the longer barrel increases velocity and accuracy.
A longer barrel doesn't necessarily increase accuracy. Though a pistol-caliber carbine tends to be more accurate than a handgun due to the fact that the barrel is fixed. Also the longer sight radius helps the shooter be more accurate.

The advantages to a pistol-caliber carbine over a .223 carbine are less muzzle blast, cheaper ammo, the ability to share ammo and even magazines with your pistol, and also you can use it at shooting ranges where rifle rounds are restricted.

The disadvantages are a much shorter effective range, less terminal effectiveness, and more wall penetration.

dakota.potts said:
I've also thought that a Keltec Sub2K or similar carbine might be great for home defense because of the high capacity, low recoil, comparatively low muzzle flash and penetration, etc.
A handgun round (even a JHP) is going to penetrate FAR more through walls than a .223 self-defense round.

Jim243

Those who own them, what do you own/use them for? Indoor shooting ranges? Hunting? Home defense? Or just because you can and enjoy it?

Yep, all of the above. I just about written off the 40 S&W (sold off all my pistols in that caliber), until on a wimm a buddy of mine was talking about getting a Hi-Point 4095TS. Well to make a long story short, I came upon 5 of them while trading off some other guns and said what the hell. Best choice I ever made, it is a great rifle caliber and a hoot to shoot. It's good for all of the above things that you mentioned. If you like the 9 mm then get a 9mm otherwise I would recommend the 40 S&W.

Jim

9x19

...Those who own them, what do you own/use them for? Indoor shooting ranges? Hunting? Home defense? Or just because you can and enjoy it? If there is a specific reason, what makes it a better option for you than a rifle cartridge...

All of the above, plus the 9mm is cheaper and easier to reload ammunition for.

I prefer my Marlins to the modified AR platform for a pistol caliber carbine. I haven't tried the JRC, but have been tempted, but by the time they got the bugs worked out, the prices crept up to above basic AR15 levels. The DDLES lower is a bit too pricey for me as well.

MarlinCamp9FSbt_zps910b5232.jpg

MarlinCamp9cm4simv_zpsce895ed1.jpg

Metal god

I don't own one and not sure I'd want a pistol cal in a AR platform . That being said , I love the idea of having a camp type rifle that uses the same ammo as the pistol on my side . For the longest time I've wanted a 30-30 lever for camping and hiking . As of late I'm really wanting a 44mag lever or even 357 . I would not be apposed to 9mm or 40 S&W carbine if they made them with a little more of a classic look . I have tossed around the idea of the Beretta storm but they get a little pricey for a plinker/camp gun

Coach Z

I'd love to have a 9mm AR that uses my glock mags. I have a pile of both regular and 33rd glock mags and more and more I've been consolidating all of my guns to 9mm. I have the Sub 2K but honestly I don't find it that comfortable to shoot.

Last edited:

HJ857

I got one specifically for running in pistol caliber carbine matches. It's just a huge amount of fun.

Initially I was planning on a Beretta, having shot one a few years prior and thinking it was a pretty decent rifle. When it came right down to it though, I thought the Beretta had a really lousy trigger and is about the same cost as an AR upper with a magwell adapter.

At that point it's a no brainer, ergonomically it's a zero transition to go from an .223 AR to a 9mm AR, plus you get the same trigger.

I would not hesitate to use it for HD if I had to, and I think it'd be a kick butt zombie defense rifle.

9x19

I should add, that given current prices, if I didn't already have one and wanted a PCC, building an AR would probably make more sense than most of the other options.

Glenn E. Meyer

They were suggested for modern police usage as they were seen as more politically correct than AR type guns.

Thus, we had the Ruger and Beretta versions. It was quickly pointed out after the North Hollywood shoot out that pistol rounds may not be efficacious in those types of horror shows. One gun rag that was trying to paint them in a positive light suggested that at least with a long arm it would be easier to hit someone in the knee.

In home defense, of course they would be a useful gun. It has been suggested that they might avoid the negative perceptions of an AR - although if it were an AR looking gun - that wouldn't work.

In the old west, having the long arm and side arm in the same caliber was a nice sales point. No need to carry two kinds of ammo for many users.

Today - I guess it is for cheaper long arm shooting in recreational mode. Although with the advent of the AR looking 22s, that might not be true. However, we will have to wait till the 22 LR OCD buying relents.

papershotshells

My reasons for my AR platform 9mm are;

1. Cheaper ammo
2. Ability to shoot on indoor ranges that only allow handgun calibers
3. Competitive pistol carbine matches

I don't use it for home defense, even though my sidearm is a 9mm, I prefer the 223 AR for serious social situations.

The only thing I wish was different about mine is that it's magwell is set up to use modified Uzi mags. I'd like to have it set up for Glock, XD or (best of all) Sig mags.

Papershotshells

barnbwt

They were suggested for modern police usage as they were seen as more politically correct than AR type guns.
So now I guess they don't even bother to tie up the bathrobe around us, huh? :p

PCC's are great at being really small (which we mere civvies can't enjoy with the SBR stamp), and carrying lots of bullets. Alliance Armament is a company making Mac-based carbines that took original 75rnd PPSH41 drums and 35rnd sticks and fired the 7.62x25 round; pretty withering stuff in full auto, but still obviously loads of fun (drum) and effective (stick) even in semi auto.

Link to AA fire demo

If you are stuck with a 16" barrel, PCC's can still be smaller since their operating systems take up less room (ammo is shorter) but there is less advantage aside from weight and capacity. Oh yeah, they're much easier to build than a locked breech weapon from the garage-smith perspective (even as closed bolts)

TCB

uradaisyifudo

I am not sold on the AR platform for pistol calibers, but the KRIS Vector... Seems fun, that said... SBR, another POC...if not.45 though or maybe .357/.44 to step it up, otherwise necked down rifle rounds seem appropriate for the platform. A Vector in .30 ACP with mag powder loads...

saxd45

Just thought I'd drop in my .02 cents. I have a lone wolf 9mm ar. It's set up to run glock mags. I had several glock mags since that's what I CC so it felt logical to have something to share ammo and mags. Also the range I am a member of has many more pistol caliber plate racks, spinners, and gongs so more fun can be had. All in all I enjoy it and as a big plus, due to the minimal recoil impulse, this ar has been a starting point in getting my girlfriend interested in shooting sports.

FALPhil

Mine is an Aerotek lower with an RRA upper in 9x19mm.

Pistol cartridge chambered ARs and rimfire ARs are great tools for getting women out on the range and a great way to keep them coming back without the intimidation of recoil and muzzle blast. Since I really enjoy the company of women, that's the point. I have found that size really does matter to most women. When I show them the difference between the 9mm and the 22LR, they invariably gravitate to the 9mm. But, one magazine full of 223, and they start jerking the trigger and flinching.

Here is my range toy.

402655157.jpg

OneshotRob

i have the beretta CX4 storm in 9MM it is dead on accurate out of the box. Little recoil,takes 92 mags. I did the sierra pappa trigger and this gun is one of my favorites. I have unreal groups at 75-100 yards for a 9mm.
For me i also like it as a HD gun. This gun has never jammed regardless of what i feed it. Its simple to field strip as well.
I will agree with a previous poster, the stock trigger sucks the root ,no doubt.
Do the upgrade and its night and day!

tahunua001

what purpose does it serve?

1. its fun
2. anyone not dropping 5.56 ammo in the next homeland invasion will likely be dropping 9mm.
3. 9mm has always been cheaper per round than 5.56 so it's cheaper training on the same platform without the complete lack of recoil that you get from 22lr.
4. it does stuff like this
100_1542_zps85d57c39.jpg

WeedWacker

If I were to have a pistol caliber carbine it would be an SBR in .45 ACP and suppressed. Currently I would favor a Vector Kriss.