What's the point of C&S "Safety Fast Shooting" kit?

ScottRiqui

I'm having trouble understanding the benefit of Cylinder & Slide's "Safety Fast Shooting" kit for 1911 pistols.

In a nutshell, after installing the kit, the way you operate the pistol is to rack the slide to chamber a round, then press the hammer forward with your thumb until it locks in the forward position. This action also raises the thumb safety. When you're ready to shoot, you disengage the thumb safety as normal, which also springs the hammer back to the cocked position. When you pull the trigger, the pistol fires as normal.

What puzzles me is that the SFS system doesn't save you any steps - you still draw, disengage the thumb safety and pull the trigger. The only benefit I can see is that it allows you to carry in a manner that's essentially the same as "condition one" without having to walk around with the hammer back, which might make other people around you more comfortable. I guess it could also be useful if you have a favorite holster that doesn't allow hammer-back carry.

The SFS kit also incorporates a safety bar that protects against discharge if the gun is dropped on the hammer, but is this really a problem with 1911 pistols? I thought they already had internal protections in the case of a drop.

Auto426

My guess is that the main reason for it is that it helps people feel better about having a cocked and locked pistol. Some people just can't stand to see the sight of a cocked hammer, and carrying the gun in that condition makes them uneasy. The same could be said for civilians who see LEO or other civilians walking around with guns that have their hammers cocked.

That's the only reason I can come up with for the system. Other than that it seems like a waste of money. I've seen the advertising and demonstration video's, but there seems to be very little actual interest in the system. It seems to be another one of those "solutions in search of a problem." Other than calming some peoples nerves, it doesn't really do anything but complicate the internal workings on a perfectly fine gun.

As for drop safety, almost all modern 1911's have some sort of modifications to prevent them from firing if they are dropped. Today they have Series 80 firing pin blocks, Schwartz firing pin safeties, and lightweight titanium firing pins with extra power springs. Even original Series 70 style 1911's are very hard to get to fire if dropped. The gun has to fall quite a ways and land directly on it's muzzle for the firing pin to travel forward with enough momentum to ignite a primer.

Teuthis

A rhetorical solution to an overstated problem. If one wants to carry cocked and locked and is insecure, I recommend a holster with a strap that sits between the frame and hammer. It is a lot less involved.

slohand45

The package is pretty useful for LEO's and others who want to carry 1911's and Hi-Powers,but are prevented by rule from cocked & locked.
The only other option would be something like the Para.Ord.-LDA.(the frame cut for the trigger bar must have J.B. turning over in his grave,it sure makes me a little more than nervous)

I've only seen one of these at the range and the guy was old school 1911.
He said once he got used the manual of arms change he started to like it and claimed if was a little more comfortable to conceal in some cases.
Also seem to recall him saying that he thought Alexander originally invented the system for Hi-Powers but it took some time to morph it for 1911's.

Magyar

You missed another benefit: the 1st shot is in SA and follow-ups the same. It is a unique system that gives a twist to Condition One. Having carried the Daewoo's in a 9 & 40 that have a similar system; it is nice....:)

ScottRiqui

You missed another benefit: the 1st shot is in SA and follow-ups the same. It is a unique system that gives a twist to Condition One.

Sorry, I'm still not seeing a benefit, since a Condition One 1911 is single-action for the first shot as well.

moredes15

I've got a couple threads running on several forums about the SFS kit... one is for a WTB, and the other is about viability of changing the hammer so's it'd be "snagproof".

Frankly, I think the SFS kit is a "dunsel"--a part that serves no useful purpose. There is a widely-held view amongst the general public that a cocked firearm is inherently dangerous. Since the 1911 can only be carried loaded safely cocked and locked, Cylinder and Slide probably manufactured the kit for those who needed to carry with the hammer down because of public relation concerns. Obviously, there's a mighty small market based on this idea... those of us who carry CCW aren't concerned at all about public opinion as it pertains to 'cocked and locked', so the only real demand is LEO.

In my case, I wanna pocket-carry a 3" 1911 clone. There've been a lot of responses to my post on various forums--that I should look for another format because my pockets are too small, or the gun weighs too much for pocket carry. I don't agree, but my psychological problem is, I don't wanna pocket-carry in Condition 1. If the SFS kit is ergonomically appealing to me and doesn't snag, I'll probably end up having the tang of the frame and beavertail shaved like the old Detonics 3" guns.

dreg102

I see this is a dead topic... BUT

I stumbled upon these kits a few months ago when designing my ultimate carry gun. In 4 years I'll be working for the NSA, granting a healthy pay check, a security clearance, and a badge allowing me to carry anywhere.

I love the 1911, it's by far my favorite firearm. I love the history, I love the design, (The first gun I bought by myself was my uncle's Star BM). However I don't like the "cocked and locked" I know it's safe, I've read the statistics, I just don't like it. This is a simple kit that let's the 1911 survive in security firms (or in my case cyber security firms haha). The die hard 1911 fans won't like it... But it's not designed for them, it's designed for a more modern shooter.

RickB

I'm not sure who should feel insulted by that; 1911 owners, or shooters who consider themselves "more modern"?