What's the next step in firearm technology?--long

Chris Pinkleton

Howdy y'all!

Just thought I'd give a try at starting a thread that will allow everyone's imaginations to run wild, and satisfy all my fellow sci-fi freaks on TFL. I know you are out there!

It seems to me that firearms technology really hasn't changed significantly since the early 20th century. Yes, we now have polymer frames, better expanding hollowpoints, stronger steels, "safe actions, " laser sights, etc.

BUT:
-at the begining of last century we had revolvers and self-loaders firing bullets out of cases propelled by expanding gasses generated by burning propellant.

-at the begining of this century we have the exact same choices. (OK, now "self-loaders" are "semi-automatics." Yay.)

This is nothing like the jump in technology from the early 19th century to the beginning of the 20th(e.g. flintlocks to DA centerfire revolver). Considering that we've gone from telegraph to TV to internet and from horses to automobiles and transsonic aircraft and regular rocket launches in the same time period, firearms seem to be on a fairly pathetic development curve.

So when will we see firearms in regular production that represent a fundemental change in basic principles? As I see it, there are several routes we could go to from here:

1) Caseless firearms: These have been "just about to about to enter service" ever since I can remember. I know there was a hunting rifle along these lines offered a few years ago(the Veore?) but it didn't do very well, and it didn't seem to offer much over a conventional rifle besides higher cost. I know the H&K G11 was "in development" for well over a decade, but it didn't seem to ever make it into production. I've never heard of any caseless pistol projects, but if any of y'all have, drop me a line.

I think caseless weapons were supposed to offer more rounds in a lighter, smaller, and more reliable package, due to lighter ammuntion and the lack of a need for an ejection system. The G11, however, ran into problems when it was nessary to eject a dud round!

Even if this technology works out, unless the 2nd amendment is really the law of the land again, I'm not sure it will ever make it into civilian hands in a big way, since most of it's advantages really seem to only come into play in "assault" weapons. A caseless 10mm pocket pistol with weight under 10oz fully loaded would be kinda cool . . . if the shooter could handle the recoil!

2) Electro-thermal guns: Prototypes of these use high-voltage electrical charges to turn a liquid medium inside a cartrige into gas (or maybe plasma?), propelling a bullet much like today's guns do. The advantage is supposed to be the ability to tailor the charge so all the energy in the propellent makes it into the bullet in a given bullet length. Also, the "energy dump" is more gradual so that the bullet gains velocity evenly down the barrel, which supposedly results in VERY redudced recoil. The examples I saw in an old Guns&Advertising were sending .223 rifle bullets and .45 pistol bullets at twice the energy of their conventional counterparts with the same felt recoil.

It seems this technology would allow a pistol to fire .50 AE-type bullets with less recoil than a normal .45ACP +P! One problem with this idea right now -- you would have to tote around batteries weighing dozens of pounds just to get a few shots. Of course, electronics advances all the time . . .

3) Railguns: Also "mass drivers" or "linear accelerators."
I won't go into all the details here, but basically, these chuck out ferrous projectiles by electromagnetic means. Possible velocities are insane -- Mach 20+!!!(I leave it to someone else to figure that out in fps.) Their would be no muzzle blast from these, and the only sound would be the transsonic crack of the bullet -- pretty loud at Mach 20, but a subsonic pistol model would be nearly silent! I think one of these firing a .55 400 grain bullet at 700-800fps would make a nice "house gun!"

The current problem with these is that the prototypes of these not only require huge bank of capasitors(spelling?) for power, the gun assemblies themselves take up a small room, and they have to be reassembled for every shot. I have faith in progress.

4)Lasers: I don't think I need to describe these too much. They seem to have all the problems of railguns, plus they seem likely to deposit all of their energy in the first few millimeters of the target -- sort of like the difference between FMJs and pre-frgs times one hundred. These certainly have anti-missle and anti-vehicle applications, but it seems to me for sttopping people, bullets will be the way to go well into the 22nd century.

Anyone else on TFL got any better info/speculations? What would it take for you to give up your M1911, Glock, etc.

Thanks for reading this way-too-long post!

CWL

Why do you need any of these? In what way would any of these inventions improve the purposes and performances of firearms SIGNIFIGANTLY without increasing the cost of the device or usage?

Possibly caseless ammo would work-if you could protect the propellant cartridge longterm from moisture, shock, solvents, etc.

BTW the energies needed for your electro, laser, railguns would so far exceed reasonable usage by one man to drop an enemy in field or home, it would only make sense for strategic uses, like satellite/ICBM busting.
Lasers would burn clean cauterized holes into/thru people, not useful unless hitting CNS/heart/brain.
Railguns propel matter in excess of 12KM/second, it also takes a generator the size of a 2-story building costing >$60million (1970's) dollars. Can you guess what happens when an object collides with human tissue at this speed? What would happen if you missed?

Certain things just work because they are efficent-enough. I challenge you to invent a better system than the knife we use today. These have not changed in basic form and function since man chipped flint, just better materials.

C.R.Sam

I love playin with gadgets and readin about the ones I can't play with. Not gonna trust my life to anything more complicated than what we now have. Electronics, computers, batteries etc have a perverse way of failing on a regular basis. Even those which have, at great expense, been burned in, tested and certified to meet stringent standards. Airplanes don't always come to earth in a gentle manner. Rockets actually have a pretty high fail rate. Auto fuel control computers go out of whack. Computers crash. Telleys flicker. Thunderstorms make us look for the candles.

Nice simple mechanical firearms aren't perfect but they generaly fail less often than most of the gadgets we live with.

Caseless ammo been around since the 1850s, still workin on it.

I have used electrically fired guns....they don't always work as expected.

I have a few thousand hours in bout 50 models of airplanes. The ONLY one that never had a failure of any kind was a J3 Cub that I drug out of a salvage yard and flew for a couple of years. No electrical system at all cept for the magnetos for engine ignition. If it ran and the wing didn't fall off.....it functioned as designed.

Sam...complicated for fun, simple for when it HAS to work.

Mike P. Wagner

Railguns propel matter in excess of 12KM/second, it also takes a generator the size of a 2-story building costing >$60million (1970's) dollars.

As far as a thought experiment, this is an interesting question. Doesn't the portable computer that I can buy for $1000 today have the same computational fuctionality as a computer the size of a 2-story bulding costing > $60 million a couple of decades ago? I suspect that a $300 Palm Pilot I can buy today has more memory and a faster processor than some huge multi-million dollar machine in the not too distant past.

Mike P. Wagner

Rebeldon

Lasers are cool! Imagine having a laser with a motion detector/mini-radar that was mounted on a motorized pointing device on top of a tripod. A friend of mine (who is an electrical engineer) and I once considered building such a weapon. The company he worked for had developed the tracking technology for TV cameras that would track the motion of their the subject without the need of a cameraman. We were thinking of mounting a powerful homemade laser, that could be constructed for about $500, and mount it on the camera devise, which would be mounted on a tripod. What a wonderful security system it would have been! Then we figured the liability was way to high to carry through with our idea. And what would keep it from burning holes into a sleep walker or a family pet. And it would be a fire hazzard as well.

Chris Pinkleton

Thanks for the responses guys!

CWL, all the technologies I mentioned are of course impractical for today's uses -- that's why I intended to spark a discussion of possible FUTURE advances.

I would agree that caseless weapons may be impractical -- yes I've heard of the "Volcanic" rifle of the 19th century, and I remember reading somewhere that even the Nazis had a caseless weapon prototype and there was some sort of caseless 9mm subgun (a Carl Gustaf variant?) tested in the late 60s--early 70s. I also read somewhere that Daisy (the airgun folks) marketed a caseless .22 rifle, perhaps in the 60s?

Despite all this, the caseless concept seems to be going nowhere.
So what will replace our current firearms paradigm? Or are we going to face the 22nd century with 1911s boldly in hand?

Railguns do not have to fire projectiles at multi-kilometer per second speeds -- these is the way they are currently being developed (for anti-missile and anti-satellete use, presumedly), but nothing I've heard about them would prevent using the same concept at more appropriate velocities -- I know electro-magnetic systems are at least in the conceptual stage for nailguns and the like. Considering this kind of weapon could be near totally silent, and probably totally sealed(aside from the barrel apeture) from dirt, water, etc., I think some folks, say the SEALs might have a use or two for it -- assuming it was developed to the same level of reliablity as current firearms.

By the way, CR Sam, where do you have experience with electrically-fired guns? Was it somthing like the subgun mentioned above?

As for the other ideas--

Yeah, I saw Runaway too -- but rocket projectiles have been tried before -- in the Gyrojet pistol. I think the rockets hit with roughly the power of a .44Mag. Unfortunately, it was lucky to hit a stationary human target at 25 yards. These were of course, unguided, but I'm not sure guided missiles make much sense against a human-sized target. If you can "lock on" to a person, isn't your gun pointed in the right direction anyway? With pre-programmed "target signatures" (as in Runaway) the concept might make sense for assassination -- but neither TFLers or our government would have any need for this, surely?:) Against game, it'd be effective, but I don't think you could call it hunting anymore.

Explosive bullets have been tried too -- as far back as the black powder era. Aren't the current "detonating-tip" bullets an example of this? Anyone got any info on how these suckers have worked in the real world? Personally, I feel nervous enough with a pistol in IWB carry already -- can you imagine the effect to your pelvis with ten micro-grenades going off in your pants? I've got crossed legs just thinking about it!

Keep it Safe,
Chris P.

C.R.Sam

Chris....lectric primers been around for quite a while. 20mm aircraft guns bein one user. Electric triggers on various small arms. Seems best so far in a few ISU type pistols. Good way to beat the lousy trigger pull in bullpup rifles too. Screwed with bad battery tho. For sport, not serious stuff.

Sam

Zorro

Not lasers but MASERS!

It's the samething except a MASER is the microwave version of a laser.

Think about a 1 inch wide cylinder of your flesh being flash roasted by a maser hit.

It would do all the things your home Microwave does except as a weapon. Lots of electrical charging of metals it hits too! In other words it would excel at frying electronics.

Try this experiment get a CD you don't mind destroying and put it in your home microwave. Microwave the CD for oh 6 seconds or until you see the flash of the electrical discharge! Think about what that would be like if it was your glasses is watch band you are wearing.

Masers like an invisible laser with penetration.

WESHOOT2

DO HANDGUNS WORK IN OUTER SPACE?

Most recognize the worth of fairly simple stunningly reliable self-defense equipment, but as time moves forward perhaps our advancements will come in the field of DELIVERING THE SAME OLD BULLET MORE ACCURATELY.

Sighting and/or target-acquisition devices on our antique but reliable launch platforms are what I see coming........

P

PreserveFreedom

As reliable as our current metallic cartridges are, I think our biggest advances will be in case and bullet design (for now). Think about what we have developed in the last 100 years. We have rimless ammo for feeding in the semi-autos we didn't have 100 years ago. We have jacketed hollowpoints that are engineered to expand more reliably and gelatin to test them in. We have Federal's EFMJ. We have tracers. We have detatchable box magazines. We have fragmented ammo (like magsafe). We have steel cored ammo. We have shotshells in pistol calibers. We have lead free cartridges and reduced lead cartridges for safer indoor shooting. We have a lot more than one can think of in a short period of time. Don't forget that no firearm can be any more effective or reliable than it's cartridge.

Chris Pinkleton

1) The maser idea may be right -- but I can already envision the foil-coated rubber "maser-proof" vests. The
beam
might be pretty easy to block/absorb even with homemade materials. I wouldn't want one for a "bedside gun" unless I lived in an asbestos house! Maybe UV-frequency lasers would make more sense for "penetration." I'm not sure that more conventional lasers would necessarily produce cauterized, non-bleeding wounds -- medical lasers do, but they are designed that way. I think DARPA, or some such agency has ran tests with red-light lasers on small animals but I have no idea of the results -- can you imagine what PETA would have to say about that!

If were looking WAY ahead, how an xaser or craser (laser using x-rays or cosmic rays) -- penetration would not be a problem and the only protection would be behind several feet of lead. To paraphrase Larry Niven, it'd be like wielding a several kilometer-long sword of invisible death. But if Smith&Wesson had problems with law suits. . .

2) I agree that cartridges have made a lot of strides, but what room for advancement is really left? And even though I've been known to carry MagSafes(may stop this soon), I have a lot of sympathy with the "pro-" side on the "Hollowpoints are a waste of money" thread. I think many TFLers would feel just fine with a 1911 filled with FMJ over say, a Glock 31 loaded with Glasers, Hydrashoks, or any other "modern" load. (I do use Gold Dots myself, but I don't think they are going to give me a 20-40% jump in "stopping power," despite the M&S "data") Furture real improvement in current firearms probably will be in target acquistion -- laser sights may be the harbinger of this trend -- but this is still evolutionary, not revolutionary. The military has been working on "increased hit probablity" for a long time, but this usually translates to shotguns(the CAWS project) or some kind of "flechette gun," pumping out lots of high-velocity lightweight darts. And not sure these concepts have any real use for us civilians.

3) I had always heard that centerfire arms would work in space -- at least if the cartridges haven't been in vacuum for to long. During normal firing in atmosphere, cartridiges depend on oxygen already sealed in the round for combustion, don't they? How else could their be videos on crazyness like "underwater Glock firings?"
I wouldn't want to deal with recoil in microgravity, though! I think any space-designed firearm would be set up like a recoiless rifle.

Chris P.

Chris McDermott

I think the next real advancement in firearms will be a replacement for the current nitrocellulose (and in the "double-based powders" - nitroglycerin) based powders with something else that will generate higher projectile velocities - same kind of thing as what happened when black powder was replaced at the end of the 19th century. Various militaries are hard at work trying to find more environmentally-freindly explosives, and I think one of them will find a better chemical to use as a propellant.

The maser/laser/railgun alternatives all depend on a much better "battery" being discovered, and I don't see this taking place. Yes lots of work has gone into this goal - in order to use it in electric cars - but the advances made versus what is required leaves a gap that makes the grand canyon look like a rain gutter for your house.

And yes, current ammo works fine in space. Nitrocellulose/nitroglycerine doesn't need external oxygen to burn, they contain the oxygen needed in the nitrate groups along the main carbon chain of the molecule. What happens when either burns is the molecule is broken apart by heat, and the oxygen from the nitrate groups is broken off of the nitrogen atoms, and re-combines with the carbon and hygrogen atoms broken from the main chain part of the molecule to give final end results of lots of heat, nitrogen gas, carbon dioxide gas and water vapor - plus a little extra carbon and a near infinite variety of organic molecules as intermediate products since no chemical reaction ever works exactly like it gets written on the chalkboard in chemistry class (the soot etc messing up our nice clean guns).

buzz_knox

The batteries for the ETC weapons are actually quite small. It's so much the power as the amps. The battery pack for the 1911 model was predicted to be around a kilo or so.

As for mass drivers, forget rail guns. Try coil guns. They use a magnetic coil that is energized in sections as the round passes through the center of the barrel. Far less power is necessary than with rail guns, and they will operate just like normal projectile weapons (no need to repair rails that produce a current by slamming together).

GSB

Found this online at http://www.phy.duke.edu/~peh/railgun.html:

Our Physics 42 project was to design and create a rail gun for demos in the intro physics courses. Rail guns operate on the basic principles of electricity and magnetism, and combine many simple ideas to form a complex system. They usually consist of two rails connected to a capacitor with a switch, and a conducting projectile completing the circuit. The first step is to charge up the capacitor outside of the gun, and then connect it with the switch open. Next the projectile is placed in between the two rails so that it is in contact with both at the same time, and free to slide along the length of the rails. Once the switch is closed the capacitor discharges and creates a strong current through the circuit loop, and this causes the projectile to be fired out of the gun.

The Physics behind this gun is fairly simple. The current flowing through the circuit loop creates an induced magnetic field. This magnetic field exerts a force on the current carrying projectile (F=I l x B), accelerating it out of the muzzle of the gun. In order to increase the total magnetic field we are also considering adding permanent magnets above and below the rails (as seen in the accompanying diagrams) so that there is more force and more acceleration imparted upon the projectile.

The design that we decided upon is developed to be a classroom demonstration tool, and thus has a low muzzle velocity (approximately 1 m/s) to avoid serious (or any) injury. The gun is composed of two parallel copper rails, 40 cm long with a 1-cm square cross-section. On one of the sides there is a groove that is .5 cm deep, and .4 cm high, and it is centered with .3 cm above and below. The rails are mounted on a piece of fiberboard and placed 2 cm apart. The projectile is also made of copper, a circular disk measuring 3 cm in diameter, .25 cm thick, and weighing just over 3 grams. This slides along the grooves in the rails with a small space surrounding it to avoid friction. The capacitor we will use will be approximately 1 Farad and charged to 5.5 Volts. This is connected to a switch and then to the rails through two pieces of low gauge copper wire. All components are made of copper because it is not only an excellent conductor, but has a low density (good for the projectile), and it is fairly cheap (good for the manufacturer…us). If the magnetic field created by the current through the circuit is not high enough to generate the desired acceleration, then permanent bar magnets will be placed with their magnetic fields oriented in the same direction as the field created by the circuit (see diagram). This exact design has not been tested, so we are really not sure what the actual acceleration of the projectile will be. This is very easily adjusted by switching out the capacitor, adding more capacitors in series, or removing some of the bar magnets.

We are not by any means the first group to attempt a rail gun design such as this. A group at Dickinson College built a similar electro-magnetic gun, which launched paper airplanes instead of a metal disk. On a much larger scale, the army is attempting to develop rail guns capable of a muzzle velocity on the order of kilometers per second with the goal of launching satellites easily and inexpensively into space. Other possible uses include implementation on naval battleships, because rail guns have no moving parts and no explosion associated with the firing. The drawbacks of such high velocity designs include the possibility of the rails melting under high temperatures (due to friction), as well as the difficulty of a high speed transition into a frictional air environment (the projectile would feel as if it hit a wall of air because of the sudden change in pressure…zero to normal in virtually no time).

Our gun design, as previously stated, was selected for its simplicity in construction, inexpensive production possibilities, and the safety value of a low velocity release. With such a plan, a limited effort from the machine shop, and a bit of assembly time, our design could be realized spending a very minimal quantity of energy on all counts.

J.T.King

Fun thread!

Ok, I have to comment!

Chris, on your x-ray laser and cosmic ray laser, I dont think these work well in our atmosphere. Check out a book on atmospheric attenuation of light. You'll find that there is a reason we use radar (radio wavelengths), microwave (shorter than radio), Infra red laser, visible light lasers, and Ultraviolet lasers and thats about it. Those are the only transparent wavelengths for our atmosphere.

If I recall correctly, x-rays attenuate 50% per 2-3meters in our atmosphere. That means they lose HALF their power into the air every three meters or so. One of the reasons life can develop here is the protective attribute of our atmosphere against the higher wavelengths like xray and gamma (not to mention our magnetosphere). On the visible light thing... the visible light spectrum is the LONGEST continuous spectrum of light that our atmosphere is transparent to. Kinda makes you think about eveolution, eh? What if our atmosphere was opaque to those spectra? Would we "see" in radar? or UV?

As far as future weapons systems go, I envision the following progress:

* eyeglasses that through a shortwave or fiberoptic link to your gun, project a holographic reticule where ever the bullet will hit, taking into account the range (found by laser range finder), temperature, humidity, etc. These may also combine light amplification capabilities and telephoto on-command (probably digitally enhanced)

* stabilization systems that involve a floating barrel with dozens of tiny, durable actuators that remove all micro-movements by using a small computer chip hooked to a laser gyro

*recoil dampening devices that slow the recoil impulse through absorbtion and delay of impulse

*binary propellent systems that use two liquid/gels that combine in a chamber at a user selectable level for extreme velocity or sub-sonic supressed velocities at the flick of a switch. Other advantages: propellent is stored seperately from projectile, reducing the weight of ammo significantly (all the advantages of caseless plus a few more!)

* Telephoto sights that use computer-aided edge tracking to highlight possible threats. These advanced sights would be able to track movement of identified targets and provide you with a lead reticule in a heads-up display or in those cool sunglasses I talked about first.

* gyscopically stabilized rifle-systems that help slew your rifle towards the previously identified threat, and provide resistance to movement off the target, unless disengaged.

* microwave bullet detectors that, with the aid of your computer-controlled weapons-systyem perform counter-battery functions of back-tracking the projectile path and identifying the threat in your scope.

Anyways, theres a few ideas that probably are theoretically feasible now! (although can you immagine how much some of this would cost???)

JT

as usual, FWIW, IMHO, YMMV, etc...

Chris Pinkleton

J.T., are you sure about that attenuation in the atmosphere -- I thought much of the "EMP" effect was due to X- to Gamma-radation. And that certainly has quite a long range! I know the Magnetoshpere blocks a lot of radation but it's many kilometers thick--and we still have X-ray telescopes on earth. I thought the main problem with coherent beam weapons with wavelengths higher than UV was that we currently have no way to produce a "lasing" effect at those wavelengths. The only proposal I have heard involves a one shot device powered by a fusion bomb! They probably wouldn't be great defensive weapons anyway--most of their energy would be wasted passing right through a target--it would probably take an obscene amount of energy to "stop" an attacker immediately. A much lower powered beam would cause sickness and death hours later, but that's not of much use.

Unfortunately, the railgun link seems to be down.:( Thanks for the all the great technical info, GSB!

Chris M., I think you are right about the likely advancement of batteries. Most likely beam weapons would require exotic power sources(micro-fusion plants, Etc.)that will not be developed for a long time, maybe 150-300 years? Chemical-powered lasers, involving lasing stimulated by reactions of exotic substances seem a bit more feasable but they are unlikely to be very compact.

But I'll bet electromagnetic projectile weapons will be feasable long before that -- I think it will be easier to make them much more power efficent before too long. Maybe 50-75 years?

Ooops, I might be alive to see that last prediction not come true! Bad form for prophecy!

J.T., have you read "Snow Crash?" The lead character wears a rig that incorporates quite a few of your ideas. It has HUD-type goggles connected to a varety of sensors, from IR to millimeter-wave radar. It even will pick up a pistol's make and amount of ammo through a wall. I'm not sure if I want to have all that data for close fighting--it's bad enough for fighter jocks.

Chris P.

Jim March

Why not use gasoline!?

Take a two-cylinder gas engine, four-stroke, of about 400cc or more total capacity. Leave one cylinder alone. Raise the compression ratio on the other to something crazy, at least 12:1 or so, and run a rifle barrel off of the head. Use the rotational mechanical energy off the crank to load ball pellets into a breech hole in the barrel just outside of the cylinder head, and then use a rotating sleeve to seal the breech at the moment of "firing". Use a thin but strong rod at the base of the barrel to prevent the pellet from rolling backwards into the cylinder. Your rotating breech plug would also block incoming gasses until the moment of firing, when pressure is at it's peak just about the time the spark plug goes off. It's a mechanical timing problem no more difficult than that involved in your average valvetrain.

Your rate of fire would be equal to half of the crank's RPM. So at
5,000RPM, you're shooting 2,500 rounds per minute.

Until you run out of lead balls in the hopper :). You could also shut off the flow of rounds (with the engine still running) by shutting off the pellet feeder. And rate of fire could be adjusted with a throttle :).

PS: my first real bike was an old 1976 Yamaha 650 vertical twin. With one cylinder completely dead, it would still do 45mph, so with no tranny or serious load at the crank, it could definitely run on one cylinder and use the other to power projectiles.

With a four-banger motor, you could drive at least two barrels. Four barrels off of a V8.

Not what I'd call "portable" but it'd be hell on wheels for fixed defense :D.

You could also load raw spitzer-type rifle bullets in the hopper too...be a bit harder than lead balls to feed, but still within the realm of the possible.