What's the name of this part?

Carmady

It's in the red circle in the pic.

Seen them called:
cylinder stop
cylinder stop stud
frame stud

"Cylinder stop" is also sometimes used for the name of the spring loaded part that locks the cylinder when firing. Also heard that part called a cylinder bolt.

Attachments

• 1 640 38.jpg
    1 640 38.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 192

Bob Wright

On all the DA revolvers I've had in the past, it was called the "sideplate." :)

But as a guess I'd say cylinder retainer?

Bob Wright

reddog81

Frame lug.

The studs pressed into the frame are what the trigger and hammer pivot on.

Cylinder stop would make sense, but that is the part that protrudes up from the bottom of the frame engages the cylinder to make sure it is indexed correctly for firing. Cylinder bolt is the corresponding Colt part name versus cylinder stop for S&W.

44 AMP

Staff
The part in the red circle in the picture is part #29 in the Numrich drawing, they identify it as the "Frame Lug".

jaguarxk120

My Gil Hebard Guns Catalog from 1984 shows the part circled in red.
On page 89 the parts break down of a "N" frame revolver and part number 21,
and is called a "Frame Lug".

Carmady

Thanks everybody. I couldn't find an official S&W exploded view.d

Looks like "frame lug" wins.

It's the yoke vs crane thing, Smith calls it one and Ruger calls it the other.

Bob Wright

The sideplate is on the other side on that gun.

I'm inferring that all of my experience with such parts was with Colt revolvers.

I'm not unfamiliar with Smith &Wesson revolvers, though.

Bob Wright

Howdy

I have to admit, I have been calling it the cylinder stop stud for years. I had to go to a reprint of the 1900 S&W Catalog to find the proper name.

Part # 381. Frame Lug.

poVCRe3dj

Pressed into the frame from the outside and staked in place on the inside.

poUkj25Fj

The outside of the part has to be contoured precisely. It is what keeps the cylinder from sliding off the yoke when the cylinder is swung open. I have one old Smith that has been refinished and the polishing job was a bit too aggressive. The Frame Lug was rounded off too much and no longer does its job of preventing the cylinder from sliding off the yoke when the cylinder is swung open. Not the one in this photo, a different one. This is the frame of a Model 17-3 made in 1975.

poA8Eyjmj

Around 1998 S&W did away with the Frame Lug. By the way, the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson refers to it as the Cylinder Stop Stud, probably the source of my confusion. In its place a ridge was machined onto the side of the frame to serve the same purpose. Clearly it is more cost efficient to add a few lines of code in a CNC program than to press and stake a separate part, which has to be precision cut to shape. All S&W revolvers I have seen made since that time have this feature. This is the frame of a Model 617-6 that was made in 2003.

poeN3Nnij

Hi Bob:

Easy to understand your error. Double action Colt side plates have always been on the opposite side when compared to Smith and Wesson side plates. That is the reason that Colt cylinders rotate the opposite direction compared to S&W cylinders. The hand lays on top of the assembly, so that is the way it pushes the cylinder.

pnya9lu3j

Last edited:

Dave T

"By the way, the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson refers to it as the Cylinder Stop Stud, probably the source of my confusion."

Another indication that S&W ain't the company that they used to was. (smile)

Dave

Another indication that S&W ain't the company that they used to was. (smile)

Despite the name, the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson is not published by Smith and Wesson.

It was written by Jim Supica and Richard Nahas. The first edition was published in 1996. I like to refer to the 3rd edition, published in 2006. The SCSW covers the entire history of everything S&W has made since the Volcanic lever action magazine rifles and pistols in 1852 to the present. The 4th edition was published in 2016, but I prefer the layout of the 3ed edition. Despite a small discrepancy such as the name of the Frame Lug/Cylinder Stop Stud it is probably the most comprehensive reference work on Smith and Wesson that exists.

kell

I heard a story that the Army said they wanted all the revolvers to go CCW. Smith and Colt obliged. Then the Army dropped that requirement. Colt went back to their old tooling while Smith stayed CCW.

kell

I got another one. I was at the deer lease a few years ago shooting a Dan Wesson 357 when I noticed a little doo-hickey laying there on the bench. It was the frame lug. How lucky was I?