Whats the most desirable .40 cal bullet weight?

Blondie.357

There are a lot of options for the .40

For self defense, what is the best weight? For instance for .357, the 125 grain round is considered ideal.

What is the ideal .40 cal version?

Also, what is the most accurate? Using .357 again, 180 grain seems to be the most accurate. What is it for the .40?

Oldjarhead

I have used the Law Enforcement "Ranger" ammo for 10 years as an LEO. It is a 165 grain hollowpoint. I don't know if it is best but I have been told it is the best for duty use, as it expands quickly and hits hard.

Blondie.357

I have used the Law Enforcement "Ranger" ammo for 10 years as an LEO. It is a 165 grain hollowpoint. I don't know if it is best but I have been told it is the best for duty use, as it expands quickly and hits hard.

I was looking at that ammo at midwayusa.com and it perked my interest. Now that you have also mentioned it, I think I'll order some.

Timtheenchanted

I was issued the winchester rangers in 155 gr. Shot to poa from a glock 22, and very manageable recoil for fast follow ups. It goes back to the light and fast vs heavy and slow. I prefer the middle weights 155 or 165, test several and see which your pistol runs the best with. And make sure they are available, you would hate to find the perfect load and then run out of them.

voyager4520

The one you feel most comfortable with. There's a channel on YouTube, tnoutdoors9 and he's the only guy I've seen do some decent home-made ballistic testing of .40SW cartridges. He recently tested 135gr civilian packaged Federal HST with suprisingly good results.

Another channel with .40SW home-made testing is andreleger2001(I think I spelled that right).

I personally carry 180gr Winchester PDX1 because I can find it almost anywhere. If I could find it more easily I'd carry 180gr Federal HST or Winchester Ranger T in 165 or 180gr.

rjrivero

I've always been a fan of Speer's Gold Dot bullet. I have read nothing that makes me waiver from my 165gr GDHP in my .40 S&W's when they're on my hip. FWIW.

ClydeFrog

.40S&W 165gr carry-duty rounds...

I've owned 2 Beretta 96D models and used a few different wts in .40S&W. I lived in the US northeast in the mid/late 1990s and used 165gr JHPs in winter/fall and the lighter but more powerful 135gr Corbon or Triton load in the spring & summer.

As for the best .40 weight; I'd agree that the 165gr works best. In a bonded format like Ranger T, Speer Gold Dot or Golden Saber you can't go wrong.

The 135gr .40 offers great KE & vel(fps) but a 155/165gr is able to work better with barriers(building material, auto glass, etc) and with most thicker clothing(leather-jeans-down etc).
The 165gr is selected by many US law enforcement agencies for these reasons. It is a mid-range wt between 135 and the 180 loads.

cougar gt-e

165s seem to shoot well for me and have very manageable recoil. The 180's seem to feel just a bit more flippy.

I think that you will be hard pressed to find a quality 155, 165 or 180 gr round that won't provide excellent terminal performance. It's best for YOU to get a box of each weight and shoot them all. Then choose the one that YOU shoot to the target the most accurately.

farmerboy

I know it's to each their own but I prefer the 135 grainers. They are very accurate in my gun anyhow, lower recoil and dump energy faster, meaning less chancs for hitting innocent bystanders in case you ever have to use your weapon in certain inviroments. I shoot all weights, have all weights of almost every manufacturer and reload alot but my personal preference is the 135's.

.357SIG

165 is likely most common, but I don't think anyone has ever polled users to find out. I personally like the 180 Gold Dot above all else, but that's me.