What's the Latest on the CZ527 Carbine in .223?

The Verminator

Picking one up like new in box on Monday.

Now.......I've heard a lot of good things but Google also delivers a few pretty negative posts. Some are quite old.

So, what's the latest?

I'm not worried about scope mounting, I can deal with that, but I'll probably get an aperture sight put on anyway.

Love the look of this rifle. So what's all the talk about jamming?

I thought these would be utterly reliable.

TheBear

i had one till a year ago, in 7,62x39 though.

Great rifle, compact, accurate, reliable..the magazin release wasnt too great but one can live with that.

The Verminator

Thanks.

It seems that the jamming was mostly with the .223 for some reason and seemed to be related to how the bolt and magazine functioned with that caliber.

However, it seems to me that the internet reflects negatively on most guns you research.

I guess it's because the unhappy customers tend to post a lot--far more than the happy customers (who say nothing because they're happily shooting).

:)

10-96

I wish I could offer you something concrete and constructive, but both of my 527's are at least 9 years old. I wouldn't trade either one for anything- been 100% reliable in all aspects.

Malamute

I had one for a while. I never shot it much, but it functioned fine what little I did shoot it. They are well made, quality guns, it just had some quirks that didnt appeal to me.

The safety functions opposite to every other bolt rifle I have, the magazine sticks out at the natural balance point to carry it in hand, and the scope ring options are very limited, and I didnt care for what I found. What bothers me obviously doesnt bother others, so just take my comments as my personal opinion, nothing against the gun or its quality.

Hunter Customs

I have a CZ527, had it for years.
I've not shot it much, however the gun is a sweet accurate little rifle, with the best factory trigger of any rifle I've ever owned.
I've never had any issues with jams in mine.

The only thing I don't like about it is, it's to pretty for me to use as a serious hunting rifle, nice bluing on the metal but it sure shines which is not good when you are trying to stay hid from coyotes.

I've shot several coyotes with this rifle, most were running shots.
The rifle swings good and follows thru good for me.
I do have the rifle listed forsale on my website but I'm thinking about taking it off the list and putting it back in my gun safe.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

PVL

The drill for using a shiny rifle varmint hunting is to use the camo tape favored by bow hunters.

Take it off every day, clean and oil the rifle and re-tape it the next time out. - You don't want water trapped under the tape to spoil the guns finish.

One time I showed a Browning Stainless Stalker to one of my relations and he remarked, "Well, that's not a hunting rifle..."

Then I showed him a roll of bow tape.

garryc

Both CZ 527's I had in 7.62x39 would occasionally not fire the primer in surplus or military grade ammo. In my reloads using primers that did not have the greater hardness like military primers have there was never a problem. using CCI #34 primers would cause a rate of misfire at about 15%.

The simple solution was to replace the striker spring with one from JP enterprizes

https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/product_info.php?products_id=128

Hunter Customs

The drill for using a shiny rifle varmint hunting is to use the camo tape favored by bow hunters.

PVL, thanks for the suggestion, however I've been there and done that.
The tape I have is great stuff as it's a cloth type tape, no shine and low on noise if it's brushed against anything.
The downside is, it's a real mess to clean up your gun when the tape's removed.

I also tried a camo gun sleve on the gun but that became a real pain when traversing heavy cover.
I thought about bead blasting the metal and re-bluing the rifle, but with the contrast of the colors in the laminated stock and the high polish blue I just could not bring myself to do that.
I have many other rifles to use so I decided to not use the CZ for hunting.

I do take it with me every now and then when checking cattle, it's an easy rifle to pack and great on running shots, which is what I most often encounter in this situation.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

PetahW

I once blind-ordered a new CZ-527FS mannlicher-stocked carbine in .223, but sold it almost as soon as I got it, because I was very disappointed, in that the stock wood looked like it came straight out of a jar of Skippy Creamy Peanut Butter - my fence rail had more color & figure.

I later ran across a CZ-527-LUX in Hornet, that was absolutely great - which I had the magazine shortened to a flush fit & the TG webs removed (This was prior to the intro of the CZ-527-M1 American, which has that feature)

PB210007-vi.jpg

P1010005-vi.jpg

Roy Bertalotto's conversion ( http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/cz-527-rifle-magazine-conversion.html ) was relatively inexpensive, and (more importantly) made all the difference in the world, when handling/carrying the CZ-527.

AND, if I feel that some woodchucks are massing for a frontal attack on me, the conversion/rifle will still accept issue magazines. :p

stubbicatt

I owned a CZ527 in 223. It was the LUX model. I really liked it. Someone else liked it more, and stole it. :(

Else I'd still be shooting it.

Even though it had a soda straw barrel I would connect with prairie dogs at 600 yards. I guess nobody told it that it was not supposed to be able to do that.

ETA Found old photo.

Last edited:

Jerry45

CZ1A.jpg

Love it! Take it to the range every time I go.

Shoots like this.

223group_zps9459375a.jpg

1/2" diamond. I ALWAYS pull at least one out of five. Yes that's a five shot group at 100 yards.

M4BGRINGO

I would like to tell you what I think about them, but I can't. Paid for a .223 and a 7.62x39 model three weeks ago, due to my retarded state and the 14+ day NICS check I have not been able to take them home yet..........Maybe by the end of May. Should have used an FFL in PA instead and avoided my home state, ridiculous.

Jerry45

Love the NightFoce. I was afraid to buy one because I knew what would happen. I now own 3. :D I need/want 2 more. :eek: