Savage 12FV and the savage 10FP
Aside form the dual sling studs up front for the bipod on the 10FP
Thanks
Dave

TPAW

Savage 12FV and the savage 10FP
Aside form the dual sling studs up front for the bipod on the 10FP
Thanks

Barrell length and caliber. The 12FV comes in 26 inches, and, 223 Rem, 22-250 Rem, 243 Win, 308 Win, 204 Ruger.
The 10FP 20 inches in .308 and 24 inches in 223 Rem.

Lavid2002

Well im looking to buy in .308 so its not a big deal

I want one in .308, my local gun shop has a FV in .308 and im wonderin if I should get the law enforcement model because of the extra sling stud for a bi-pod. What do you think?
I could just as easily slap on a sling stud myself right? Would it hold on good enough for a bi-pod or would it slap the stock up over time?

TPAW

What are you going to use it for, punching holes in paper, hunting or both. Personally, I like the 10FP. It's lighter, and can be carried for hunting if so desired. I was thinking of buying one myself in .308, 20 inch barrel and start reloading. I have friends who have the 10FP and it's a great shooter right from the box. At 200 yards, I was grouping 5 shot groups that could be covered with a nickel. If it was my rifle and had the chance to practice, I would probably be able to tighten that up a little. Savage with it's Accu Trigger is a good bang for your buck.

Lavid2002

well

Mainly this is a range rifle, but I will be using it for deer hunting. Ir reguardless, accuract is my NUMBER ONE concern. Hands down.
Thanks! : D
My bike is selling on ebay! Ill have the money soon, What do you think?

TPAW

I will be using it for deer hunting. Ir reguardless, accuract is my NUMBER ONE concern. Hands down.

With the proper ammo for the rifle, both will be accurate if you do your part. If you hunt in a stand and do not do a lot of walking, either rifle will do. If you are the kind of hunter that walks, then the 10FP would be the way to go. A longer barrel, 24 inches vs 20 inches does not necessarily mean the longer barrel will be more accurate. There are other variables that determine accuracy besides barrel length.

Lavid2002

yeah

But is the 10FP worth calling in? I read the trigger pull can be adjusted a lb. lower than the FV as well! If this is true I definately want it instead!

TPAW

But is the 10FP worth calling in? I read the trigger pull can be adjusted a lb. lower than the FV as well! If this is true I definately want it instead!

Don't know what you mean by "calling in"? As for the trigger pull, I would be inclined to think that the Accu Triggers would be equal to one another as it relates to lb pressure.

Lavid2002

clling in for the store,

The store hs FV in stock, I would have to sk them to order a FP....If there both the same as far as accuracy goes then I prefer the FP what do you think?

Don't know what you mean by "calling in"? As for the trigger pull, I would be inclined to think that the Accu Triggers would be equal to one another as it relates to lb pressure.
Law enforcement models "The 10FP" are able to be djusted 1 lb. lower thn hunting rifles.

graham82

The 10FP is also available with a 24" barrel. My son just ordered his last weekend. He ordered it at Walmart out of their special order catalog.

The 24" barrel is not on the Savage web site but he found it other places online or he would not have known it is offered as the 24" and 20".

Last edited:

TPAW

The 10FP is also available with a 24" barrel. My son just ordered his last weekend. He ordered it at Walmart out of their special order catalog.

The 24" barrel is not on the Savage web site but he found it other places online or he would not have known it is offered as the 24" and 20".

Here is the Savage web site........http://www.savagearms.com/

The 10FP in .308 is not availabe in a 24" barrel, only 20".
The 10FP in .223 is offered in the 24" barrel, but not 20".

The 24'' barrel IS on the web site. Check it out..........:rolleyes:

graham82

Lavid2002,

As stated earlier, the 10FP is available in both the 20" and 24" barrels in .308.
Again, it is not on the Savage web site.

My son ordered a 10FP .308 with a 24" barrel from Walmart's special order catalog which had both the 20" and 24" to choose from. He definately wanted the 24".

Go to Walmart's web site choose sports, then hunting, then on the left side selections choose special order guns and ammo, select rifles, then bolt action, then sort by brand (Savage), go to page 3 and scroll down to the 10FP .308.

This is not a misprint. If you go to Walmart in person and ask to see their special order gun catalog you will see both the 20" and 24" .308 10FP.

TPAW

As stated earlier, the 10FP is available in both the 20" and 24" barrels in .308.

Not the 10FP Law Enforcement in .308 which is the original topic of conversation. This is directly from the Savage web site. Can you document that the LE 10FP comes in a 24" barrel? It would surprise me that Walmat would have information on Savage, that Savage itself, does not have on it's web site. A call to Savage seems to be in order here. Below is what Savage advertises on it's web.

Law Enforcement Series
Model 10FP – with AccuTrigger™
Action Short
Caliber 223 Rem, 308 Win
Overall Length 44"
Barrel Length 24"
20" in 308 Win only
Weight 8.5 lbs
Magazine Capacity 4 rounds
Stock Black synthetic with positive checkering, dual pillar bedding
Sights Drilled and tapped for scope mounts
Rifling Rate of Twist 223 Rem (1 in 9")
308 Win (1 in 10")
Features AccuTrigger™, matte blued barreled action, heavy free-floating and button-rifled barrel with internal box magazine and swivel stud for bipod, oversized bolt handle
Suggested Retail $649.00

TPAW

Well now there's one for ya! Walmart advertises something that the Savage web site does not even show? I tried calling Savage today but was unable to get through. Kept getting a recording that said mail box is full?
Walmart calls it a tactical, Savage classifies it as Law Enforcement.
Walmart web site says 24' barrell in .308, Model 110FP. Here's what savage has on caliber for 110 FP. No mention of .308? Mis-information on the part of Walmart or Savage?

Model 110FP – with AccuTrigger™
Action Long
Caliber 25-06 Rem, 300 Win Mag
Overall Length 44.75"
Barrel Length 24"
Weight 8.5 lbs
Magazine Capacity 4 rounds (25-06 Rem)
3 rounds (300 Win Mag)
Stock Black synthetic with positive checkering, dual pillar bedding
Sights Drilled and tapped for scope mounts
Rifling Rate of Twist 25-06 Rem, 300 Win Mag (1 in 10")

Features AccuTrigger™, matte blued barreled action, heavy free-floating and button-rifled barrel with internal box magazine and swivel stud for bipod, oversized bolt handle
Suggested Retail $649.00

graham82

I just got home from work and received my 2008 Savage Arms catalog I requested a few days ago.

Page 50 is the specification page for the Law Enforcement Series. The first model listed is the 10 FP with a 20" barrel in .308 only. The second is the 10 FP with a 24" barrel in only .223 REM and .308.

I just Googled "Savage Arms" and when google brought up the "Welcome to Savage Arms" link one of the selections yuo can pick says "New 2006 Products".

It appears the Savage website is a possibly little outdated. This may explain the different info from different places.

Lavid2002,
Sorry for side tracking your thread. By the way I have been trying to decide which to buy also (the 12FV or 10FP). I believe I am going to buy the 12FV since my son is buying the 10FP. That way we can shoot both of them. Once again, sorry.

Last edited:

spctim11

Here is the deal.
You will probably change the stock on either one as they both suck, so buying one over the other because of an extra swivel stud doesn't matter.
If you do use it for hunting more than likely you will take the bipod off anyways to make it lighter.
I might do it wrong but I find it uncomfortable to sling a rifle with a bipod mounted.
I chose the FV as I knew I would change the stock so I saved a few bucks
I do believe you are correct about adjusting the trigger pull with the FP adjustable to less
If you are wanting to be as accurate as possible you will swap out the triggers anyways.
I don't know your expertise with rifles; but in most cases including my own the rifle is more accurate than most
If you aren't familiar with http://www.savageshooters.com/ get. More specifically the forum
Here is my FV .308 in a McM A3
sellme-2.jpg

Either way you will be happy, if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

shooter_john

I have a 12FVSS in 308 that currently wears an 18" 10FP barrel, it is an easy sub MOA gun. However, my 110FP in 25-06 is a 1/4 MOA gun when I'm really on my game. All of my Savage's wear B&C Duramaxx stocks as well. An upgrade worth much more than the actual cost.

shooter_john

I should've mentioned, I had it cut to 18" and put a Vortex FH on it. Why? No good reason, I got the barrel for free and my 'Smith gives an EXCELLENT LE discount.

Turned out to be a pretty sharp rifle, I'll try and get a pic up later.