What's the difference in Colt snubs?

glockopop

More specifically, what's the difference between a Detective Special, an Agent, and a Cobra? The only one I've shot was a beautiful nickel DS that I was very impressed with.

Doug.38PR

Detective Special is heavier. Cobra and Agent are airweights. Cobra is made of aluminum. Cobra and Detective Special are blued (or nickle) and agent is Parkerized. Agent is even lighter than the Cobra, not sure what exactly it is made of.
Detective Special is +P rated, Cobra and Agent are not (at least the pre 1972 versions are not, not sure about the later models with the ejector rod shroud).

whitebb

Agent is Aluminum with a steel barrel. Mine is Anodized light grey, While the cylinder and barrel are darker grey.
As for the Det. Spl, I know what you mean. I have a 1973 built Nickle plated one and its a beautiful revolver. (Mint condition, hardly ever fired)

Dfariswheel

The differences depend on the version.

The Detective Special is an all steel gun.
The Cobra and Agent are aluminum framed versions of it.

When the Cobra was introduced in 1950, it had the same long grip frame as the Detective Special.
The Agent had a short, "stubby" frame to reduce it's size and weight even more.

In the mid-1960's Colt changed all the small "D" framed guns to the stubby frame, and the only difference between the Cobra and Agent became the name on the barrel, and the Agent was still usually fitted with smaller grips.

Here's a picture of the old long grip frame Colt's and the short frame as used on the Agent, and the later models:
ShortvsLongDS.jpg

Laserlips

All I know is both my Cobras are lightweight, and my 1982 DS is not...

But at least this thread offers me the opportunity to post a picture of my nickel DS.... BT on www.GunsAmerica.com from San Angelo, Tx. sold it to me last year at a very reasonable price.. Nice gentleman, hope to buy from him again.
100_4951.jpg

I've put all sorts of aftermarket grips on this sucker and I still wind up coming back tothe factory originals..

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy :D

glockopop

Yours looks just like the one I met. You're right about those grips. They look great, and they're just the right size to make it controllable without being big target grips.

cavediver27

I have a 1978 vintage Colt Cobra and it is without a doubt the sweetest little snubby I've ever handled. I also agree that the factory grips are better than any after-markets out there. Anyone who I've showed it to wants to buy it but it's a keeper, "not for sale".