What's the current price range for WWII German P-38 9mm Para?

swatman

They have one at my local gunshop, at least they did last time I was there. I think it was around the 500 dollar mark. If I am not mistaken, they function best with hot ammo since they were designed around the military loading.

JKeith

Century International has them for just under $500. They are C&R, so if you have your C&R ffl you can order directly from them.

popeye

Average is $350 to $600 with some rarer ones going for more. Look for em at shows so can you can see what you get. Nice ones have match ser #s. If you wanna shoot it make sure you get one with proof marks (tiny German eagles) stamped on major assms.. Proof marks mean gun was tested with ammo %20 over standard load. Guns are stamped with production date. Anthing later than '44 will probabley be unproofed, poorly finished and posibley dangerous to fire. As far as hot ammo I think I'd avoid it, but they were built to handle hotter smg stuff like MP38 or 40.

Look on auction sites, and maybe post wtb here on guns for sale.

Strayhorn

If you want a collector's item with all the Nazi proofs and etc, in good condition, expect to start around $500. That seems to be the starting point here in the Southeast. Last one I saw was a vet bring-back, in very good condition with all marks intact, overall VG with a Excellent bore, complete with holster and extra mag for $600.

If you just want a nice P-38, the ex-German police models are now coming into the country and can be found for as low as $300 if you look around. SOG, J&G Sales, AIM Surplus all have them in the $300 range.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC

t-man

Aren't the ones with nazi markings and without import marks worth the most? Meaning that they were brought home by a G.I. at the end of WW2.

I've shot a buddy of mine's p-38 and it is a great pistol. He says that a lot of those older pistols can handle hotter loads because they were made in the days before lawyers ruled the roost.

johnwill

The guns that Century is selling have been hot dip blued and have lost most of their collector value. If you buy one, plan on having a shooter, because it has little collector value.

James K

Member In Memoriam
WWII German 9mm ammo was made to function properly in all weapons of that caliber. There was no "hot" ammo made for SMGs that could not be fired in pistols.

Most of the pistols advertised today are postwar P.38 (commercial) or P1 (military contract) pistols. They have alloy frames, but the ones I have seen have the steel shoulder that prevents excessive wear. (This shows as the ends of a cross bar in the frame just behind the takedown lever.)

A good 1941 P.38 can run over $800; a 1940 around $1200+.
Pre-P.38 pistols, such as the pre-war HP, can go a lot more depending on variation and rarity.

Jim