Whats the Best/worst gear you own?

SpookBoy

All you gear guys(and gals)What gimmicks or gear do you find the best or worst out of what you have tried or owned NO heresay,if you want to do that then go to another thread.Please let us know what your choices are and why ,in other words a gear review of sorts lights/lasers and lightsabers ,let 'em fly.

FirstFreedom

Well, we have an entire subforum down below dedicated to gear, and that's where some of us have discussions. But I have to say that my Streamlight TLR-2 light/laser, and my Gould & Goodrich paddle holster are both impressive. A Smartcarry holster is my constant companion now, too.

What all types of gear are you wanting to include in your question.... grips, for example?

Alnamvet

I'll vote Streamlight TLR-1

as the best pistol mounted light out their for the money...at twice the price, the TLR-1 would still be a bargain.

dwatts47

Best = Surefire lights/ weapon lights

Worst = other lights that blatantly try to copy surefires' looks, but could never match their performance. They price themselves 3/4 of surefire's price and the new shooter buys one thinking he can trust it in a pinch because its "just like that surefire one, but more affordable".

Also, I hate all the new knock off copies of C-more/aimpoint red dot sights, that are foreign made junk... same situation as above happens - yet it gives the orginals a bad name because people don't know better.

john in jax

BEST: I've got a few of the Safariland 518 series paddle holsters, for different guns I CCW and they do a great job keeping the gun high and tight against your body.

WORST: Any of that UTG junk they are selling everywhere. I found a deal on mounts, lights and lasers and they are the biggest pile of junk I could ever imagine. The laser light up but point at something like a 45degree angle to the tube so you can't use it for anything.

RevolverLover

WORST: Any of that UTG junk they are selling everywhere. I found a deal on mounts, lights and lasers and they are the biggest pile of junk I could ever imagine. The laser light up but point at something like a 45degree angle to the tube so you can't use it for anything.

UTG makes stuff for airsoft. ;)

Manedwolf

The only UTG thing I'd ever seen that was decent was a short rail mount that clamps on an AK barrel and stabilizes against the gas tube. It's decently solid aluminum, and good for a light.

But no lasers or anything, no. Same with NCstar. They make stuff for airsoft, it was never meant to handle real firearm recoil, but it's sold as such.

sholling

Best gear... Trijicon and Mepro night sights on three of my pistols; Crimson Trace laser grips on two of those same pistols. And believe it or not a cheap knockoff of Milt Sparks' Watch Six that I found brand new on fleabay for $35. The matching IWB mag pouch was a whole $20. I have a whole drawer full of 'quality' leather and plastic that I don't like half as much. Ask me again when MS finishes my VM2. :D

Last edited:

GalilARM

Best Gear? Hmmm, I'm not really a gear-do but I like Hogue grips, they can do wonders for an uncomfortable gun.

Worst gear? Some of that ATI stuff made for shotguns really sucks....Some of it is cheap but decent quality, some is utter garbage. I put a cheap retractable stock onto one of my HD shotguns and it works just fine, though nothing special. Those gimmicky "heat shields" they sell, are terrible, especially with the "ghost ring" sights preattached. The shields wont fasten to the gun right, and they always wiggle around. The ring sights, in turn, are never aligned.

SpookBoy

well FirstFreedom i know about the gear forum,i was simply putting this thread into the handguns forum for handgun gear.

Grips,metal frames aftermarket parts whatever you guys want to put down that is great or is junk.

Manedwolf

Hee hee. ATI shotgun stuff.

I saw someone's ATI-loaded tacticool shotgun self-destruct at a range. It had the "heat shield" and all the other stuff. Literally, pieces of plastic and metal flying off in all directions, the light went up and bounced, then rolled into into the range area and they had to call a cease-fire.

RO thought they had a malfunction and the gun blew up...they seemed like they were trying not to laugh when they just saw that all their tacticool crap had flown off. :p

The copied cheap Chinese weapons lights made to look like Streamlights are amusing, too. Especially when one goes out while the person is firing because the recoil broke it. "Streamright N3!"