What's the best accuracy anyone has seen/heard from a poly lower?

doofus47

I am considering a light AR build for the kids (and my use) based on a poly lower.

Reviews that are 2012 or earlier are based on non-reinforced poly and generally agree that the polymer needs help. Post 2013 poly lowers generally seem to incorporate some level of metal reinforcement and review levels rise.
I'm asking if anyone has (or a friend of anyone has) actually built one and gotten some decent accuracy.

If it's going to be spraying, I'm probably going to buy an aluminum lower to hedge my bets.

bfoosh006

I have seen to many reports of a Polymer AR lower breaking at the buffer tube mount to buy one.

And frankly... to many other variables to just be able to attribute to the polymer lower alone.... ( barrel quality, ammo quality ... etc )

And good aluminum lowers are so cheap, it is not worth the time to chance it for me.

And while the lower "shouldn't " effect accuracy is often said... IMHO, it can effect POI ( Point of impact ).... no one shoots a bolt action in a sloppy fitting stock to action.... or a semi-auto handgun with a looser then normal slide / barrel fit.

Both the previous examples would produce worse groups then a well fitting stock and a "tight" slide and barrel fit... all else being equal.

Last edited:

Nodak1858

I'm going to find out, I just finished my Polymer80 last night. Went smooth, even with my worn out Harbor Freight drill press. Short of using a hand drill I couldn't have got more low brow doing it. But it turned out pretty nice, I'm pleased so far. Everything lined up nice, function with dummy rounds is 100%, yes I know not the same as using live ammo but it looks like it will work just fine. Hopefully going to take it to the range this weekend for a test.

marine6680

I don't think the poly lowers that have enough metal support inserts to hold up and not break... Save enough weight to matter.

The ATI Omni Hybid is the best option I believe, if memory serves.

Another problem, is that they tend to cost as much or more than a 7075 forged lower from Anderson or a Blem from PSA or Aero.

Saving weight in the front end will go father in making the rifle child freindly than the receiver.

Mobuck

"The lower should not affect​ accuracy..."

As good of an answer as any. I've used polymer lowers on everything from 22lr lightweight to a 20" bull barrel nose heavy monster and there's NO diff. Polymer lowers don't break unless you do stupid things nor do they flex to the point of influencing FCG alignment.

Pops1085

The guys on InRangeTV seem to like their polymer lowers pretty well. But they aren't polymer lowers made in the same dimensions as aluminum ones. That's just asking for problems. The ones they have are beefed up lowers designed from the ground up to work with the polymers strength limitations.

marine6680

Mean LLC makes a poly lower that has the entire rear area that is aluminum. The polymer molds around it. The aluminum extends to the safety lever.

It weighs a few ounces lighter than a standard lower.

zukiphile

And while the lower "shouldn't " effect accuracy is often said... IMHO, it can effect POI ( Point of impact ).... no one shoots a bolt action in a sloppy fitting stock to action.... or a semi-auto handgun with a looser then normal slide / barrel fit.

Polymer lowers aren't going to be anymore sloppy than aluminium lowers though. The polymer lowers I've used (NFA) are rattle free and exhibit a slight tension that can make the pins a bit tough to push out.

I've seen video of someone doing push ups with support only in the middle of a carbine and snapping the receiver extension off a polymer lower. Of course, he applied enough force to break an aluminium lower is the same spot.

My lightest is an NFA lower using a Rock River two stage trigger, MFT Minimalist stock, carbon fiber free float tube and Faxon pencil barrel. With 2.5x optic and sling mounted, it weighs 5 pounds, 14.2 ounces (Including the 5.5 ounce buffer).

I wouldn't use a polymer lower to save money, because they aren't cheaper. I wouldn't use a polymer lower just to save weight because the weight savings isn't huge.

The NFA lowers I used have two advantages I value. First, for one's first lower built, it allows all sorts of error that would leave ugly marks on an aluminium lower. Second, the reduced thermal density makes it not quite as cold to the touch.

Last edited:

marine6680

Speaking of lightweight ARs...

There is a guy over on AR15com, that built a 3.5lb AR that includes a set of iron sights.

That would be a nice handly little lightweight rifle for kids, or anyone... Probably cost a good bit though.

zukiphile

That would be a nice handly little lightweight rifle for kids, or anyone... Probably cost a good bit though.

I tried to stay within a reasonable budget, but I did read articles by guys who were drilling holes in their pistol grips and buying expensive parts made of unobtainium. It is easy to go off the deep end when one specific goal (weight) overrides all others (economy, reliability, durability). Maybe the loopiest thing I did was employ paracord instead of steel sling swivels.