What's the best 9mm ammo

Geezerbiker

As I recall Corbon used to be considered the best but I haven't carried a 9 in a long time. What is considered top grade defensive ammo these days?

Tony

Spats McGee

Administrator
You're going to get a whole lot of different answers on this, so I'll just go ahead and refer you here: https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#9mm I'm sure other test results are available.

There are several companies making good, reliable 9mm ammo that penetrates and expands like it should. I usually carry Remington Golden Saber 124 gr +P, but I'm currently running low on those, so I decided to load my spare mags with Speer Gold Dots and some Federal Personal Defense.

Dan-O

Corbon is pretty good in my book. Federal HST is easier to find and cheaper. I think it performs as well as corbon in my opinion.

Really liked corbon pow’r ball and carried it for years.

Last edited:

OhioGuy

Best for what? Almost anything will cycle reliably in most pistols for training. I've found factory reloads with blue polymer coated bullets for $7/50 that's run flawlessly. Or you can dump a ton of money on Sig or higher end Federal training ammo.

For HP ammo? Yeah, follow the links above. Almost any source will generally report that Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot, Winchester PDX (or "Defend") and Sig V-Crown all perform very well. They all have some version designed supposedly for optimal performance from subcompact barrels. Most penetrate consistently and expand well.

sigarms228

Federal HST is certainly among the very best as is Speer Gold Dot. I like that either can be bought in boxes of 50 for reasonable prices, around $20, from online sources such as SGAmmo.

My personal choice is Federal HST 147 +P.

Ben Dover

IMHO>
1. Winchester Ranger "T" 147 +P (RA9TP)

Federal 147 +P HST P9HST4

Federal 115 +P+ 9BPLE (Older design, but lots of "street cred.")

jr24

NovX Engagement Extreme Self-Defense. Exciting and terrifying at the same time.

They have videos all over the place, but take a look at this one (video link once you get to the product page) starting at 01:38. The will compare a HP with their round.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101954696/novx-engagement-extreme-self-defense-ammunition-9mm-luger-p-65-grain-arx-lead-free
I fail to see how a clay block correlates to the elastic and fluid medium that is the inside of a body.

As for me, I like HST. Good results in gel, reasonably cheap online and, most importantly, run well in all my guns.

BlackDuck

I fail to see how a clay block correlates to the elastic and fluid medium that is the inside of a body.

As for me, I like HST. Good results in gel, reasonably cheap online and, most importantly, run well in all my guns.
That is simply 1 video. This write up clearly states the bulled operates on "the principle of Aero And Fluid Dynamics, not hydrostatic shock."

http://www.gunsandammo.com/ammo/a-new-class-of-ammunition-novx-9mm-arx-engagement/

They are lighter so they travel faster (yet still do that kind of damage because the rotation pulls them through), have less recoil, expend their energy on impact, and are less likely to pass through the entire house. All qualities of a self defense round round that I want to use. The debatable part would be like the somewhat failed Ruger ARX, they fragment when hitting hardened objects. The concern with the Ruger was it could potentially fragment on bone. NovX say extremely hard objects, which suggests harder than bone but I have not seen any videos of such a test. Still, we are talking 9mm here so we are not expecting much from any round going through solid objects.

Getting back on target is paramount. Putting the target on the ground is paramount. Not shooting through my house in to my kids room or my neighbors house is paramount. So for me, it is a great round. Not yet ready to replace the 45 in the nightstand, but the question was about 9, not something different. I do have the NovX in one of my EDC's and am confident they will get the job done if needed. When I carry a 9 it is a compromise of power over bulk. IMO this ammo makes a good trade-off.

A longer write up is here:
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2018/4/23/breaking-with-convention-novx-ammunition/

TruthTellers

I've seen a lot of praise for HST every time defensive 9mm ammo is brought up, so I have no doubts that it's good. Winchester Ranger and PDX1 is pricey, but the sharpness of the petals only helps in causing more damage and cutting through tissue.

IMO, it depends on what you're looking for. If you want the best for your money, Winchester White Box is incredible for the price to performance, but HST's and Gold Dots are reliable even out of the shortest of barrels.

For a middle of the road price, Hornady Critical Defense works best out of full length barrels and they come in 25 round boxes.

But the bottom line is not what is the best 9mm ammo, it's what 9mm ammo works best in YOUR guns.

jr24

That is simply 1 video. This write up clearly states the bulled operates on "the principle of Aero And Fluid Dynamics, not hydrostatic shock."

http://www.gunsandammo.com/ammo/a-new-class-of-ammunition-novx-9mm-arx-engagement/

They are lighter so they travel faster (yet still do that kind of damage because the rotation pulls them through), have less recoil, expend their energy on impact, and are less likely to pass through the entire house. All qualities of a self defense round round that I want to use. The debatable part would be like the somewhat failed Ruger ARX, they fragment when hitting hardened objects. The concern with the Ruger was it could potentially fragment on bone. NovX say extremely hard objects, which suggests harder than bone but I have not seen any videos of such a test. Still, we are talking 9mm here so we are not expecting much from any round going through solid objects.

Getting back on target is paramount. Putting the target on the ground is paramount. Not shooting through my house in to my kids room or my neighbors house is paramount. So for me, it is a great round. Not yet ready to replace the 45 in the nightstand, but the question was about 9, not something different. I do have the NovX in one of my EDC's and am confident they will get the job done if needed. When I carry a 9 it is a compromise of power over bulk. IMO this ammo makes a good trade-off.

A longer write up is here:
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2018/4/23/breaking-with-convention-novx-ammunition/
Yeah, I've seen all that before and remain unconvinced it's not just flashy junk science words.

I guess time will tell, but I'm more of a heavy for caliber JHP believer vs the superlight copper super bullets.

Ben Dover

Any of the premium brands, Gold Dot, HST, Ranger "T," Golden Sabre will serve you well.

There is so little difference between the premium offerings that the puke will never be able to tell the difference.

TailGator

I agree that the premium brands are very close in performance. Shot placement and the vagaries of bullet paths are very likely enough to outweigh the differences between the premium brands. Personally, I use Gold Dots, but local availability figured into my decision, and I wouldn't be afraid to carry some of the other major brands that have been mentioned. For that matter, I use a different brand in another caliber, again considering availability.