Whats the Battery Life on Red Dots and Tactical Scopes?

Jamie Young

I thought those things lasted a long time but a few people told me "A Few Hours". If thats the case I'm not sold on them. Their pretty neat but I'd rather stick to a 4X scope that doesn't quit after a few hours.

Can anyone recommend a good 1-4x scope to be mounted on an AR or FAL? I'd like to stick to under $250 if possible. What do those 4x Colt scopes go for?

slick slidestop

Aimpoint comp M/L reportedly last like 1000 hours I believe is what they advertise.

I bought an Eotech that says it will last 70 hours on the #12 setting (about halfway on intensity scale)

Not too sure about lighted reticle scopes

Commander Fan

Just a couple examples..

Aimpoint Comp M = 150-250 hours

C-More = 300-1,500 hours

These are only two off the top of my head. Each company/model lists the battery life in their specs. The wide variance in hours is because of the ability to adjust dot brightness. Choosing a higher dot brightness requires more power.

There was an add that ran in Shotgun News for NIB factory Colt 4Xs, both in standad and illuminated. It may still be in the newer ones, I don't have one around to check.

This is just a poor memory recall, but I think the standard 4X Colt sold for $249, and the illuminated reticle 4X was $100 more.

All it takes is a trip to the OPTICS board at www.ar15.com(Use 'Colt' in the search engine.) If you go back 9-month(max), you should find several reviews. You could also enter 'battery life' into the search field, and find out what people are gitting during normal operation of different red dots.

As a side note:
I bought one of the new Grand Slam Weavers for my carry-handle A2 ARs. It is the fixed 4.75X(I know, strange number), with a 40mm objective. These are the least expensive one-piece tubes I've ever found. Very rugged. It also has great clairity. I think Chris at www.riflescopes.com quoted me $229, but I had my dealer order me one for $299, because I'm such a great 'business man'.(Got screwed :)). I will be buying another for my whitetail rig.

My flat-top scope is a 6X42 Swarovski. I had this before I bought the Weaver. Everyone needs at least one Swaro in their collection. That's what I was told anyway. If I could do it all over, I'd have bought 2 of the Grand Slams instead of the European model. Both are great in the dark.

I hope any of this helped.

Good Luck

Derek Zeanah

Lots of people like the ACOGS and Elcans, but they're out of your price range (about 3x what you want to pay.)

I've seen good reviews for the IOR M2 scopes, but I've never seen one in person. I found one used for $220; they seem to be a touch more expensive new -- a google search will show a wide variation in price. DSArms has them for $309 with a funky reticle; Bushmaster sells the same thing for $350; Snipercountry (link above) sells them with the original reticle for $350 too. Cactustactical (never heard of them) sells them with a choice of color and reticle for $325.They retail for $440 or so.

All of those mentioned have illuminated reticles, btw -- the IOR uses a battery and the others use tritium. They also have BDC's cammed for wither .223 or .308.

Pat Rogers

Member in memoriam
Battery Life

Sodapop,

The Aimpoint M2 that is used by SOCCOM and Force Reconnaissance has a battery life on High setting of 1000 hours, and at medium setting at 10,000 hours.
The Aimpoints have been used by the military since the old 3000 model.
Don't be put off by battery phobia- most of what you own uses batteries. Just understand that you will have to arry replacement batteries with you, and that they will wear eventually.

The Aimpoint M2 is strong, dependable, swimmable to 66' and extremely useful, especially in dim or low light.

Erich

It's amazing, given the reported battery lives, how often my friends with the red dot scopes have problems with dead batteries at the range. I recall many instances where my AR-toting friends set up at the bench only to curse their dead batteries.

These are intelligent guys, so I don't think they're all leaving their dots on accidentally for weeks at a time.

Don't get me wrong, I like a red dot scope. I guess the moral of the story is, make sure that sucker comes off the gun in a hurry if necessary, and have a tritium-loaded front post to back the red dot up.

RikWriter

These are intelligent guys, so I don't think they're all leaving their dots on accidentally for weeks at a time.

Sorry, but that is probably exactly what they are doing.
Also, what red dot sight are they using? A $100 cheapo red dot is not going to have the battery life of an Aimpoint Comp M XD.

Erich

Funny you should mention Aimpoint, Rik, because that's exactly what the most recent fellow was using.

But, I didn't watch him put the gun in the safe before the battery ran low, so I don't know that he turned it off. This guy's been a gun dealer (high line stuff and big number sales to police depts) since the '60s, though, so it would surprise me to learn he didn't think to turn it off.

Like I said, I don't know whether they're doing anything wrong, but it sure seems to happen a lot to folks I know and see shooting.

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
I've decided against using red dot scopes. Battery life would be poor in the cold. Battery life may be 150 hours at 70*F but only a couple of hours in the cold. As for tritium, can the reticles be re-envigorated after a few years?

RikWriter

Well Erich, let me just put it this way, I have had an Aimpoint Comp M XD on my M4gery for three years now. I have changed the batteries ONCE.

As for tritium, can the reticles be re-envigorated after a few years?

Oleg, tritium reticles can be refurbished by Trijicon. You'd have to check their site for the price and compare as to whether the once every ten years replacement tritium is more economical than batteries.

Derek Zeanah

I think replacements for the ACOG cost something like $25. Don't know about the others. It'll still glow, BTW -- half-life for tritium is 12 years. I just sold a tritium lensatic compass that was made about 12 years ago and it was still brighter than a new tritium watch...

Rob01

Battery life on the NEW Aimpoints, the M2 and ML2, is as stated 1000 to 10,000 hours. On the M2 there isn't even an off position. You just put it on the lowest setting and that's it. If you're looking for a red dot sight with high battery life then the new Aimpoints are the ones to go with. The ML2, the one without NV capabilities, runs about $295. It's a good sight and can take major abuse and is waterproff to 75 feet. Check them out at www.swfa.com under the riflescopes. They have a little write up on them.