What's next after a 22LR for a child?

Robk

A friend of mine has a 9 year old son who shoots with him. His son currently uses a .22LR rifle (sorry, forgot to ask which one, it is a semi though), but he feels it is time to move him up to something else. What would be good for a 9 year old who is very well aquainted with his gun? I thought berhaps .17HMR? Any others who have better insight into this situation? Any help is appreciated.

geetarman

Lots of choices.

I would choose a bolt gun and probably something like a .223 or 22-250.

Lots of choices for the reloader and with a heavy barrel, almost no felt recoil.

You may need to buy some rifles. . .just sayin'

Geetarman:D

kraigwy

What's the end game. Is he going to get into hunting? I'd recommend skipping the 22 center fires and moving to a 243. It's light enough for a 9 year old, yet it's something he can use if he wants to go hunting.

Having said that, the 22 RF is not a stepping stone, its a valid training tool and target rifle regardless of age and experience.

I've been shooting High Power a long time, I still shoot small bore. ISU small bore is more critical about sticking to your marksmanship fundamentals.

Robk

What's the end game?

My friend does hunt. Therefore I assume he will want to take his boy with him soon enough. But I am also thinking, from my converstion with him, that he would like to introduce him to a larger caliber firearm to continue his training.

Yung.gunr

What is the desired end result?
If he is working up to hunt larger game then the .22 can harvest, then I would also agree on a .223 bolt gun. Going to a .17 is not going to increase your hunting potential as much as a .223 or something else like .22-250.

If it's just a case where he feels bored with the .22lr then I would get more difficult/exciting targets. I definitely agree with Kraigwy on the .22lr being good for any age. What is the old saying about the guy with one gun being better then the guy with multiple. I have been shooting for about 20 years and still shoot my bolt .22lr more then anything else.

Practice the basics over and over and over again.

Also, is he shooting prone, bench, kneeling or freestanding? Get a sling on his rifle and make him learn to shoot without the bench or bipod.

Just my opinion...

dalegribble

well if i were to start my kids on rifles the first would be a 22 and the next would probably be a bolt action 223 or 243. you might consider a shotgun depending on size either a 410 or 20 ga, pump. if handguns are an option i would go back to the good old 22. i have found slower shooting weapons like a bolt rifle, pump shotgun or a revolver develop better shooters than anything semi auto where they just pull the trigger to hear a bang and hope they hit something.

uncyboo

For my 9 yr old daughter after 22LR it's gonna be 17HMR, then 204 Ruger, then prob 6mm Rem. After that she'll have lots to choose from. Just my own thinking ahead.

RubenX

My son is 11, he's going to the range with me and he shoots a 22LR. To be specific, he's shooting a Savage Mark II which is a bolt action with a 10 rounds magazine... no scope *yet*, just iron sights. Like the OP I'm also looking for the "next step". I would rather buy another 22LR in semi-auto before having to stock yet another different rim-fire caliber.

IMHO the next step should be something into the center-fire world. With 223 being small, low recoil, readily available everywhere and cheap, I would go with that. But I would borrow one for the kid to try it first.

AlBundy

I would suggest a .223. I was thinking about that earlier actually and I want a .243 but the .223 ammo is so much cheaper. Plus if you have an AR you don't have to buy ammo for another caliber. I went from a .22 to a 30-06 and that was a bit much lol.

PA Hunter37

My first rifle was a 8mm German Mauser, but I was also 13 at the time.
A heavy gun to carry but very little recoil and very accurate.

Scharfschuetzer

For my son, he went from the .22 RF rifle to a .22 Hornet rifle.

We started hunting jackrabbits and prairie dogs with it and I was also able to teach him reloading with it too.

If you your friend doesn't reload, perhaps a .223 Remington would be a good choice as bulk ammo is reasonably priced for it due to economy of scale in production.

As Kraigwy points out, a .243 is also a good option and my son's next rifle was a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in the calibre. Light enough for a boy to cary, but powerful enough for most deer and antelope hunting.

The important thing in my mind though is that it shouldn't be beyond his tollerence for report and recoil. Shooting for a new shooter needs to be fun and not an ordeal. Instant feedback from reactive targets also helps to cement their interest in the sport.

Good luck to the young shooter!

'88Scrat

I'm guessing that your friend is looking for a bolt gun in which case a .243 or .270 seems like the next logical step. That way he can get practice on something that he can actually use to hunt. I don't know about Rhode Island but here in Kansas its not legal to hunt with a .223 or anything smaller unless your stalking rabbit or some sort of varmint.

If your goal is hunting why not get practice with a caliber that can actually be used to take game with? Also saves the time needed to dope a scope on another gun.

Whatever option he goes with the most important thing is it is enjoyable for the boy. Good Luck!

uncyboo

Going to a .17 is not going to increase your hunting potential as much as a .223 or something else like .22-250.

While this is very true, in my (our) case my daughter has a real aversion to muzzle blast. She loves to shoot, but is still a girly girl. My thinking is the 17 will allow her to more easily and successfully move to the 100 yd. mark and teach a little about trajectory, wind, etc without being intimidated.

tahunua001

I went straight from 22lr to 243 but I had a horrible flinch that I didn't remedy until I was 16 or so. I would recommend a jump to 223 as a nice light carbine round.

Rifleman1776

There is no need to "move up" without a goal.
Actually, a nine year old is (usually) still too small to hold a rifle. A youth .22 is perfect for him until he is strong enough to hold something larger.
If deer hunting is the goal then the .243 was practically invented for youngsters. Pictures in the paper of kids getting their deer are 99% of the time with a .243.