What's it worth?

keithdog

I have a shot gun I am thinking about selling. It's a 12 gauge Remington 1187 Premier. It has a 26 inch barrel, VR, 2-3/4 or 3 inch shells. Beautiful walnut stock, blue barrel. Has all three chokes, full, mod and improved, and choke changing tool. I'd give it a 9/10 cosmetically, and 10/10 mechanically. This gun is probably the sweetest shooting shot gun I've ever fired. Never once a FTF. I bought it to hunt ditch banks for duck, and fields for pheasant. I have been told it would sell for 350.00 up to $700.00. I'm hoping someone here is familiar with the gun and truly knows it's value.

Virginian

I am about as familiar with the gun as you can get. Very good gun, too, in my opinion. What's the year of manufacture? The early RemChoke barrels were heavy, and someone who knows will care. In fact I think that is what killed Remington's plans for the 11-87 to replace the 1100. That's about as good an estimate as you are going to get without pictures. 90% means a lot of different things - like what and where is the 10%? Gun values vary greatly, and getting the best price means finding someone looking for just what you have. Look on GunBroker and GunsAmerica at completed auctions to see what other have sold for - that is more realistic than any Blue Book these days. The 26" barrel is probably a negative unless you find someone who knows what they like, and they like a 26", because these days it seems everyone is pimping longer barrels for everything. Good luck.

eastbank

i own two 1187,s a light contour and a trap,both in 12ga with several extra barrels and i also have had no problems-zip-nada in many rounds fired with factory and reloaded shells. my 1187,s are in ex condition and i think the light contour is worth 450-500 and the trap is worth 550-600. eastbank.

krimmie

The Premier was a well made gun...nice bluing and usually pretty decent wood. In the condition you describe, I would pay up to $500...but that doesn't mean someone else would pay that.

Cowboy_mo

I sold my Premier in 2013

and I believe I got $500 for it. Mine looked like new and I still had the box it came in. The only difference I can think of is: mine had 30" barrel which is why I sold it.

It sold on Arms List for the asking price.

keithdog

Thanks for the feed back. Was going to post a pic tonight which was stored on my phone, but the phone crashed today. SO I will post a pic as soon as I can. I did go to Gun Broker and found the same gun that I have listed for $499.00 and trust me, it looks like a beaten piece of junk compared to mine. :rolleyes: I couldn't find completed auctions, so am looking at one currently up for sale.

Last edited:

BigJimP

Prices vary quite a bit - in different regions of the country.../ and while condition matters a lot ....in my area, as you describe the gun / $500 seems about right.

Many buyers will find the 26" barrel a negative ( but a 26" barrel on a semi-auto makes the gun about the same overall length as an Over Under with
a 28" barrel ..... ) ...so you just need to find the right buyer.