What's In A Name?

LordTio3

I caught one of my buddies talking about Jose today. Now I didn't really know what he was talking about outright. His fiancee's name is definitely not Jose... so I took some time to think before I asked him who the heck Jose was.

Jose is a 4" black Springfield xD9.
xd.jpg

It seems I've been noticing more people naming their weapons lately; though mostly in pop culture. A couple of examples...

Sin City-
Character Marv (Mickey Rourke) and "Gladys".
SCM1911A1-4.jpg

Hellboy-
Character Hellboy (Ron Pearlman) and "The Samaritan".
HellboySamaritan-2.jpg

Call of Duty: Black Ops
Poster- Character wielding a pistol named "Sally" marked with Tally Marks (lol- thanks lawnboy).
21323cl.

I also have an old bolt action Marlin .22lr single that I call "Stinger".

So, my question is, do you guys name any of your weapons or remember any other well-knowns? Could be interesting...

~LT

Last edited:

30-30remchester

Very common practice in days of old. Daniel Boone, David Crocket, Hugh Glass, Buffalo Bill Cody, to name just a few that named their guns.

lawnboy

I don't name guns. Or cars. But I do have a terrible habit of assigning nicknames to people I know. Sometimes they don't like the name and get ******.

And FWIW, those aren't roman numerals. The roman numeral for "8" would be VIII

kozak6

I never get to shoot anymore, so I don't feel close enough to any particular gun to name it.

I'm thinking about naming a sledgehammer I'm refinishing and rehafting Molly (short for Mjöllnir).

DaleA

I've never actually named any of my guns but I have called a Colt .22 conversion unit for a 1911 many different names that I should not repeat here.