whats better for a bug? .32 acp or .22 mag.

2002gti

i have a leo freind who needs a bug and im trying to talk him into the naa mini mag. he's looking at it or the guardian .32 . im thinking the .22 mag wil outperform the feeble .32? any opinions?, he will be buying one this weekend.

Handy

.32 - it's designed to function from a short pistol barrel. .22 Mag is really a rifle round and doesn't get up much steam in a few inches. I read a pretty good ballistic comparison a couple years ago, and .22 Mag was not shown to be much different from .22LR. Plus, it is not as reliable in an auto.

But if we're talking tiny revolver, .32 mag would be better than either.

Sir William

I witnessed a 22 Magnum shooting once. Through and through. The victim drove himself to the hospital. I have heard of people being shot with 25 ACP and falling down dead. I have also heard of people shot with 25 ACP who beat the shooter to death. 32 ACP is a OK small pistol. A 32 H&R Magnum is a decent little BUG. I know many who used to pack H&R 32 Magnums. The BUG I used to pack was a S&W M30 in 32 S&W Long. J frame, round butt and 6 shots. A version in 32 H&R Magnum is made today.

LAK

My biggest reservation over the little NAA .22s is it's handling charactaristics; it is simply too small a piece to manipulate fast. In this case the NAA Guardian would be my choice, although I would only load it with FMJ ammo over concerns of under-penetration with expanding bullets.

denfoote

What is his issue weapon??
If he carries, say, a G17, then the G26 would be the ideal BUG!!
Same with the G23/G27 combo!!!
Another good BUG would be one of the micro Kahrs.
9mm beats .32acp any day of the week!!

AUG

I would not consider anything smaller than a 9mm/38 spl. Dozens of 380 sized 9mm's can be had these days.

When I was in uniform I used a S&W 442 and a G26 as BUG's. If he needs the BUG then he needs it in the worst way. When the chips are down I don't want a feeble caliber being the only thing between life and death. I want something that at least gives me a chance.

No need for these puny types (guardian,NAA minis, seacamps..etc..)of guns when real fighting guns can be had in similar sizes.

Kahr micro comes to mind but the j frame S&W is about as perfect of a BUG as as ever been invented IMO.

texmex

remember what the bug is for

The only time you use a bug is when your primary is empty or broken or more likely someone is trying to get or has gotten your primary away from you. If you are in a life or death struggle with someone your bug needs to be point and click simple. No safety to take off. No hammer to pull back. That means a double action revolver or auto or a Glock.

I like J frames because they are simple and also because they come to hand quickly. I have a Keltec that I use as a bug but it can be almost get lost in my offhand pants pocket. I carry a fixed blade knife on my offhand side for use in retaining my primary weapon. It is hard to miss with a knife and it doesn't need reloading.

strider72

Well,I have had 4 NAA Minis in .22LR and .22MAG,but carry a Kel-Tec P32 and am considering a Guardian .32. I like the fact that I can reload with a spare mag versus just 5 rds. in the minis. But I think the minis are a great neck gun or even a backup-backup gun.

U.F.O.

How about considering .380 as a BUG caliber instead? I bought a Kel-Tec P3AT for that purpose. So far I like it about 1/2 way through the break-in. Sometimes they do require a little fine-tuning out of the box.

U.F.O.