What's a "Scout Mount" Scope?

murphjup

I'm getting a lever action rifle and they refer to putting a scount mounted scope on it... what does that refer too?

Thank you in advance...

:)

Lavid2002

I am assuming.....
They are refeting to the way scout rifles often mount there scopes. Wich is either drilled and tapped BBL with a base screwed onto that, or some other type of BBL mount.
Perhaps they dont want you to mount it to the receiver?
Thats my guess.

I have only messed with one scout rifle and hated it. Had a terrible time getting directly behind the scope.

supposed to have faster target acquisition(possibly both eyes open?)
No scope eye, tons of ?eye relief? (scope eye being where you fire holding the rifle improperly and you get a cut around your eye from the scope.)
lower overall accuracy.

Of course these are general some people probably shoot more accurately with scout. If you are an idiot you could still get scope eye. If you can't get it on target correctly, like I had trouble with, acquiring the target faster doesn't do you much good. I got this from other people, but it is intuitively true and matches my limited experience. I believe the Scout setup was designed for something like a medium range DMR.

SR420

Long eye relief optics including red dots mounted low and forward of the receiver.

I prefer forward mounted scout style EOTech and Aimpoint optics for shooting fast with both eyes open.

T-Ray

check out cabela's lever action scope. Pair it with hornady's leverrevolution ammo and it's supposed to be accurate to 300yds. It's not a high-end scope, but i see no reason to put a high-end scope on a lever action.

btw, that's the setup that i have.

T-Ray

ya, i heard somewhere that the whole cabela's lever action scope and the Hornady LeverRevolution combo was made for marlins, but works with all leveraction guns with the correct caliber. That works good for me, considering i have a marlin 336. the scopes come in specific calibers.

If you haven't already purchased, I reccomend the Marlin 336W (or stainless if you like that) in .30-30 paired with a Cabela's Lever Action scope (obviously for .30-30). It's probably better than the factory mounted scope you can get.

Dezynco

I'm trying a "scout" mount on my old Mosin Nagant. So far, so good. I think I can get used to it easily. Seems pretty natural to me. It's a 2x scope, so that may work better than something that is higher powered.

Frank Ettin

Administrator
I took my Steyr Scout to Gunsite for the five day general rifle class.

IMG_4360E1a.jpg

It worked out beautifully. I came to appreciate the quick target acquisition and generally fast and easy handling qualities of the combination of forward mounted scope and a short, light rifle.

Swampghost

Hi murph, I work in Jupiter, live in Jensen Beach.

There are a few reasons for having a 'scout' mount. Lever Winchester's eject out of the top and a rear mounted scope would interfere. Mini-14's have a similar problem, high ejection angle. My Krag has one just because it was already drilled & tapped for one and I didn't want to mess up an old classic piece.

As far as target aquisition I don't see much if any difference but I use low powered scopes.

murphjup

Swampghost, thank you for the information....

I'm getting a Browning BLR in .308, I think I'm gonna go with a receiver mounted scope...

:)

DAdams

Murph That

should take care of those hogs. Nice looking rifle. Did you get the pistol grip version or straight stock? What barrel length?