What's a S&W Model 25 of 1955 going for?

Casimer

I realize that some of these are probably very collectible. What are 'garden variety' models typically selling for?

Is there a premium for the 45 Colt over the 45 ACP, or vice versa?

Also were there 4" a/o 5" 25's of 1955, or are these all 6" or 6.5"?

thanks

glockopop

To my knowledge, (I'm no expert) there were only 6 1/2" and 6" guns made. From what I've seen, and I have been looking lately, they are going for $600-$750 and up depending on condition. I think the Model of 1955 Target or 25-2 is .45 ACP only. Other Models 25 are in .45 Colt. 4" M25 and M625 Mountain Guns can be had in .45 Colt, and there is also the much rarer M625 Mountain Gun in .45 ACP.

Here's one up for sale now:

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8484179

nate45

The Model 25 was made with 4,5,6,6.5 and 8-3/8" lengths and in .45 acp and .45 Colt.

My Dad had a 125th Anniversary and a Model of 1989 with a 5 in barrel, unfluted cylinder .45 Colt. I really liked that Mod. of 1989.

They are worth $550 to over $2000 depending on the condition and rarity. Usually the older pre 25 5-screws and early S prefix 4-screws are the ones that bring the high prices.

I would really like to have an early 4in one in .45 colt.

Here is my 5-screw .44 Magnum made in 1956 the first year of production.
pre29-a.jpg

It really doesn't have anything to do with your question I just like showing it off.:p

Casimer

I'd noticed that auction as well, which is what caused me to realize that I probably didn't have a good idea of the going price. There seem to be so many variants of the 25 floating around that it's difficult to sort them out.

BTW if you're considering that auction, try to determine if there are patches of rust on the RH side near the cylinder and in one of the cylinder flutes. I'd inquired on this specifically and the seller's response was very vague.

Hammer It

Hello
I have a S&W Model 25-5 and they are a whole lot Easier to Locate than the model 25-2 in my area. I got this one from new Hampshire on a swap of another S&W revolver I had $350.00 in a couple of years ago. The average price of amodel 25-5 in my area is roughly $450.00-$650.00 and the model 25-2's when you can find one are $750.00 -$1000.00. Both Guns have Pinned Barrel's and are late 1970's Guns
Regards, Hammer It.

nate45

Is the 25-5 when they'd gone from a 6.5" BBL to a 6"?

The dash and # behind the model number in this case Model 25 donate engineering and production changes.

My book lists 13 changes from 25 no dash to 25-13.

It was changed from a 25-1 to 25-2 in 1961 when the trigger guard screw was elminated.

In 1978 .45 Colt caliber became standard production the long cylinder was then available with 4,6, or an 8-3/8in barrel and that production change resulted in the 25-5 designation.

I don't have the inclination to post the specifics of all changes, but like I said in my first post the Model 25 was made with 4,5,6,6.5 and 8-3/8" barrel lengths in both .45 ACP and .45 Colt.

dewidmt

I've got a 6" 25-2 that I paid $450 for in 2004...I also had a 25-5 4" that I stupidly sold. I can't seem to find another one of those, they seem to be the scarce model....

Casimer

I've read that the one issue that you need to look out for w/ these is that the throat of the barrel is sometimes significantly larger than the diameters of the chambers. This affects the accuracy of lead bullets.

Are there certain series that are more prone to having an oversized throat? Some people claim that it's mostly the early 25-2's, others that it's mostly the 25-5's, but it seems to be much less of an issue past the series 5's.

glockopop

I've read that the one issue that you need to look out for w/ these is that the throat of the barrel is sometimes significantly larger than the diameters of the chambers. This affects the accuracy of lead bullets.

Are there certain series that are more prone to having an oversized throat? Some people claim that it's mostly the early 25-2's, others that it's mostly the 25-5's, but it seems to be much less of an issue past the series 5's.

The only one I know about for sure is the 25-2 in .45ACP. I know a few people who have them and use them for USPSA competition. None of them have good accuracy with lead bullets, although plated ones work fine.

Casimer

The one recently listed on AA went for $801.
http://www.auctionarms.com/Search/DisplayItem.cfm?ItemNum=8484179.0

If 'rmsavo', the winner, is a member of TFL, and cares to comment, I'd really like a description of its condition.

I'd contacted the seller twice with very specific inquires on its condition based on the photos he'd provided. These weren't vague - "will I like it?" - questions, they could have been answered with a 'yes' or 'no'. But his responses were so odd, and non-commital, that I didn't bother bidding. Perhaps the seller is simply not adept at handling questions, but his responses caused me to assume the worst (i.e. that he was concealing something).