Whats a good first semi-auto handgun? (budget)

codyb1991

I have a bunch of rifles and shotguns and I have a sudden urge to get a handgun, I know for sure I do not want a revolver. I'm thinking either a 9mm, .40 or a .45, I'm going to use it for home defense mainly and take it out shooting whenever I go. I have some experience with semi-auto handguns shooting and dis-assembly/cleaning. Kinda on a budget also. Any suggestions?

BarryLee

With no more details than you have provided I would say look at used guns maybe a Police trade-in. As for caliber 9mm probably makes the most sense for your first gun.

10-96

+1 what Barrylee said.

Also, just a quick peek around Buds Guns came up with Century Arms Arcus 9mm, a Smith & Wesson 5906 (in Century Arms), Several Bersa 9mm's, An EEA Witness 9mm. The Used section showed a Ruger P89, and a Daewoo DP51 9mm- all these were below $400.

sigarms228

Wow. You don't give us much to go with other than - budget.

Price range?

Poly or metal frame or don't care?

Hammer fired or striker fired or don't care?

Do you want an external safety or don't care?

More compact or more full size or don't care?

As always it is best to handle all you can, then try out those that appeal to you, and then make a decision.

For a new "budget" pistol IMHO a SIG SP2022 in 9MM is among the top of the list to check out if you don't mind a hammer fired poly frame pistol.

willmc33

Smith & Wesson 5906 9mm. Can pretty much be had to fit most anyones budget, all steel, revolver reliable, accurate, great trigger, great sites, extremely durable.

Ambishot

Ummm....

Are you budgeting for the price of ammo costs or gun platform/make/model/etc?

If the former, then I'd suggest a 9mm.

If the latter, then I'd suggest a gun from a proven manufacturer. :)

Good luck in your search. If you're looking for opinions on something more specific i.e. DA/SA, Polymer framed, metal framed etc., then I'd be happy to be more informative.

CWKahrFan

As 10-96 recommended, the Arcus 98 is hard to beat for a budget full-size 9mm (approx. $350 with transfer cost):

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/combat-handguns/century-arms-arcus-98da-9mm/?hp=exclusives_img

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/955/products_id/411548796

If you need something more "name-brand" and want to pay a little more, the Ruger SR9c is very popular:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/62288/Ruger+SR9c+9mm+Compact+Black

Or the bigger SR9:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/52387

Last edited:

SIGSHR

Yes, what you have-or are willing-to spend is very important.
Nowadays I pretty much recommend a CZ-75 WITH the Kadet unit, that will allow you low cost practice and the transition to centerfire is pretty smooth.

willisp

handgun

9mm would be my first choice, budget being number one. price of ammo,handgun tough to beat, sig would be my choice. 45acp is also tough to beat but is more expensive all the way around

Botswana

I'm still shocked at how low the SIG 2022 is priced. If I were in the market for a 9mm I think it would be at the top of my list.

You can find a Ruger P95 for $300 to $350. I don't think they make them anymore but I still see plenty for sale.

Definitely recommend 9mm if you're on a budget. Speaking as a member of the .45 club, it ain't easy on your wallet. I can shoot 9mm for half or slightly less the cost of .45's.

AndyWest

Really? Nobody is going to say Glock 19? Seems to me a great pistol for someone just getting into semi-autos. Or a Glock 17, which is the same but slightly bigger if your hands are bigger.

codyb1991, check out http://us.glock.com/products/all. Just pick your hand size and caliber and you're done. Glocks are top-notch, simple, inexpensive, and easy to buy.

Botswana

Probably because a Glock of any sort is not cheap. I'm seeing them between $500 to $550. Not crazy money compared to the old SIGs or any HK, but it ain't cheap neither.

reaganmarine84

That's a BIG +1 on the Arcus 98 DA. The all steel construction is slightly heavier than all the polymer wonderguns,but soaks up a tad more recoil as a plus. The finger grooves and stipling on the large grip surface feels great. The arch of the backstrap and the beavertail fit the palm and web of my hand soooo naturally. I like the 3-dot sights,large ejection port,beefy extractor,squared off trigger guard and operating the magazine release punches out the spent magazines with good force. It's currently battling for the #1 spot in my gunsafe with the BUL Cherokee full size. Buy it. You won't be disappointed.

mrbentley57

I absolutely agree with a 9mm. A SW 5906 is super durable and reliable and inexpensive used. SW doesn't make them anymore solely due to cost to manufacture. If new and your budget is around $400 a Ruger SR9C. AT $500 a CZ 75B