What's a 1903 Springfield Worth?

Old Time Hunter

Guys, ran across a 1903A3 Springfield.....in very good shape, strong rifling, and even includes the leather shoulder strap. The guy wants $450 for it, is it worth it?

taylorce1

Price doesn't see bad at all. Does it still have the military stock or has it been sporterized? If it is in full military dress I'd say it is a pretty good buy if it has been sporterized then it is on the high side.

A good way to get an idea on what thing are worth check the auction sites like Gunbroker and Auctionarms

doc2rn

Bought one at auction for $200 last month, traded it for a Rem 700 and got $250 out of it. So to me it seems a bit steep.

10-96

http://http://home.att.net/~vishooter/m1903.html

Take a peek here and get an idea if the rifle is all original according to the stamped "R's", serial number, and bbl date. Are there any cartuches still on the stock? That makes a difference. Around here- if you can find one that's still in full military dress- they start out around $650. You didn't describe a whole lot of detail, but I'm thinking I would prob'ly jump on it if I had a good feel about it. Is it a 2-groove or a 4-groove? Don't listen to the folks out there who say 2-grooves don't shoot. I have one that ended up in the top 10% of the Springfield Match field at Camp Perry Nationals this year.

crowbeaner

That sounds fair. The 03 I bought a few years back was $450 and the same dealer had some pristine (looked new, unissued) ones for up to $2000. I had to wipe the drool off the counter. CB.

10-96

Wait a minute... it isn't one of those National Armory rifles, is it? I used to hear guys question the safety of those receivers- but I haven't heard anything like that in a while.

ISC

I haven't seen a Springfield for sale for under $550 in a long time. I gave $180 for mine 10 years ago and knew I did really good on it then. I've been offered $750 for it. Its a pristine 1942 Remington.

$450 is a very good price for a shooter if it's original and has a decent bore. Not a steal, but a pretty good price.

If it's in anything more than average condition it's a great deal.

Tim R

Yes there was a heat treat problem with early 03's. Seems to me to find one today is going to be quit rare.