Whatever Happened to CALICO Pistols and Carbines with their 50-100rd Hi-Cap mags???

Anyone has any info on CALICO pistols and carbines? I remember it was like the future of gun design with their helical-fed mags that can hold 50 to 100rds!

Shoulda have bought one back then, but I just forgot about it until just recently. I assume the '94 ban was the big thing that snuffled out the the hi-cap mag idea. Anyone know if the company's still around? Anything they're making now?

I'm going to get one for old time's sake. Should I get the pistol or the carbine? What's a good price?

James K

Member In Memoriam
According to my older Blue Book, they are still in business (or were in 1999), and still make arms for civilian as well as police and military sales. (If you are willing to spend $10, you can get more info on the site www.bluebookinc.com.) Needless to say, if they are still in business, they can only sell to the public high capacity magazines that were made before the limit law.

I worked on some of their guns, and I saw several of the magazines totally messed up, sometimes by the owner, but more often they tended to fly apart on their own, spewing ammo and springs all over the area. The guns did not hold up well, either, some being in the shop or back to the factory more than they were shot.

So, B_V_R, I understand your feeling, but IMHO, you really didn't miss much.

Jim

bmwguy

I had one of the M100S, this is the 100 rounds .22lr with the wood stock. I shot around 2000 rounds through it. It had maybe 5 FTF. The only problem I had was that the pin for the safety drifted out after extensive plinking. I eventually sold this rifle because it was "boring" and I wanted a bit more accuracy and easy to get accessories. I bought a 10/22.

I don't know what happend to the company.

I've also shot the 9mm version and wasn't too impressed. Accuracy was okay but it just didn't seem sturdy like a HK-94, uzi and etc.

SNOWPIG

BILL CLINTON........

uhhh Mr. President,,,,your zipper...its undone...oh good mornig MS. Lewinski...here have a tic tac

ExMB

I recently saw one for sale

At a gun show in december. It was LNIB, but I can't remember the exact caliber. I wanna say they were asking around $800 w/ a 50 rounder.
Another vendor had just a 50 round mag for $250, next to the $100 10/22 well used Ramline.:barf:

Onslaught

I used to want one too... Before "the ban" they were running around $400ish, and now, I've seen them at gun shows for twice that. Ditto on the mags from what I've heard.

I like my 10/22 better as well, and have some 30 and 50 round Eagle and Butler Creek mags that I bought way back in the late 80's. They're actually such a pain to load, I usually use the factory 10 rounder.

Anyway, if you do a Google search, you'll find the Calico owners forum, as well as lots of FAQ's on them.

Jeff OTMG

My son has the .22 pistol and I have the 9mm carbine with the folding stock. His needed a little tweaking and hot ammo, but now it is a little lead hose. I have never had any problems with mine, but it only uses FMJ ammo. We both have lasers and they are fun to play with. I also use mine as a car gun because with the stock collapsed, a 50 or 100 round mag, and the laser I can engage targets pretty well out the window or sunroof without sights at night.

jason10mm

I see one or two at every gun show here in San Antonio (probably the same one or two). I think the 9mm with a 50 rd mag was offered for just under a grand. Kinda nifty design, but it just looks so unbalanced and awkward. I wonder if they sell those big mags blocked to 10 rds. LAter.

KPS

I was just thinking of those the other day.I saw them for sale at Smitty's in AZ when I was a teenager and always wanted one.Those 100rd mags made me google eyed.