what would you pick?

comn-cents

So I’ve been eyeing the Ruger Frontier and would be happy with any caliber. But since they will make me pick one which should I get? Which would you get and why.

It will be for all legged creatures. It might find it's way into my truck as a WSHF gun. I have a few rifles, "06-223-308-45colt and so I'd like it to fill a void that I don't really have.

I will be putting a Leupold 2x LER scope on it.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Swampghost

There's lots of room here, which way do you want to go? Personally I'd fill the gap between the .233 and .308. Way too many rounds to mention without ticking off somebody, I opted for the .243 Win just because of the cost and availability of ammo.

My son is hot on the 6.8 and I'm not sure that the cal. will hang in there over time. You need to look over all of the aspects before buying. Sorry! I'm NOT paying over $2.00 a round to shoot my 30-40 Krag (Last price at the gunshop $42 and change for 20).

comn-cents

Well the Frontier is only available in a few calibers so that limits my choices.
.243, 7mm08, 308, 338fed & 358WIN.
I’m leaning towards the 243.

jman841

Either something between .223 and .308 maybe .270 or 6mm of sorts or something really powerful, .300 Win Magnum or 7mm rem mag. while still a .30 call it will give you more power and range than .308.

Just a suggestion

jman841

yea i just realized that. .243 would be my suggestion as well then. You dont have many options for caliber with that rifle.

Sam06

If you are stuck on the Ruger Frontier I would go for the 308.

It might find it's way into my truck as a WSHF gun. I have a few rifles, "06-223-308-45colt and so I'd like it to fill a void that I don't really have.

I will be putting a Leupold 2x LER scope on it.

That quote above says to me Winchester 94AE or Marlin 336 in 30-30. I am a born again 30-30 fan. If you reload it is the most versatile cartridge out there except maybe the 308 or 45-70. I love the 30-30 and the great thing about it is; the guns that shoot 30-30 all look "friendly", there is a nice look to a Winchester 94, that a M4 or a FN FAL might not have. But the 30-30 is a great cartridge and will do all you need it too in a truck or mid range rifle out to 200 yds. I cannot think of a better NON semi auto.... scout rifle/urban assault weapon.

James R. Burke

Yup the .243win would be it. But if it would be myself I would go with the Ruger No 1-A light sporter. There are only a few downsides. They cost alot, and they are a single shot. But I have three of them, and they all are very accurate, and never had a problem. I believe reloading really helped with the C.O.L. finding the sweet part.

comn-cents

Thanks Guys.
I'm okay with 4 rounds. I have AR's if I really need more.
I love the No.1 but wouldn't like to keep in the truck.