What would you do?

849ACSO

So, I have a weak spot for S&W revolvers.

Today, I was at a LGS about an hour and half from my house with the intention of buying a new gun to celebrate an event that I won't go into, combined with an early xmas present to myself.

The shop had a new model 66 (improved K frame 357), a new model 69 (L frame 5 shot 44 MAG), and a nice, new model 629 4 inch.

I had the money in hand to buy one of the 3. I looked and fondled for an hour or so, and couldn't pull the trigger on any of them (metaphorically speaking, I was ably to dry fire them). I was really undecided.

I reload already for 357 MAG, and would likely shoot it a bit. Probably ain't going to wear it out, but it would likely get shot more than a 44 MAG. I kind of want a 44 MAG for deer hunting, and don't reload for 44 MAG, as I own nothing in that caliber to this point. I currently deer hunt with a 10mm Auto 1911, so it's not like without the 44, I can't handgun hunt, and beyond that, I'm not sure how much I would ACTUALLY shoot it...........

I'm just so torn. There are pros and cons to both............... ugh..........

Thoughts?????

James K

Member In Memoriam
Since one of my favorite guns is a Model 19, I guess you can figure out my preference. Frankly, I have always found the .44 Magnum (and anything bigger) to be just too much gun for me, but you may not feel that way.

Of course if you want a .44 primarily for hunting, reloading is not too big a concern; a box of ammo a season should let you get the deer and some practice as well.

Jim

lamarw

The problem is you were given too many options. Have the gun store call you when they are down to only one of the three left. :)

849ACSO

The problem is you were given too many options.

My wife was there and I said those exact word to her, then I proceeded to ask her which she would choose............. as she sat on one of the stools and played candy crush on her phone and never looked up..................

CajunBass

I bought a Model 69 a couple of months ago. it has quickly become my favorite Smith & Wesson, and believe me, I've had a lot of Smith & Wesson's. I like it enough that I'm seriously considering getting one of the new 357's just like it. There are a bunch of us on the Smith & Wesson board who have the 69's and I don't think I have read a bad report yet. People who have them seem to love them.

I admit that I don't shoot 44 magnum's in it. It's a range toy for me, so I keep my loads in the 44 special range, but all I'm shooting is a piece of paper.

Which would I get? Well, I already made my choice. You already reload. Get a set of dies for the 44 magnum and have at it. The 357 would be my second choice, with the 629 bringing up the rear...but it wouldn't be far behind.

JimmyR

What are the barrel lengths of each revolver?

If the Model 66 is a 3", I strongly reccomend that you pick it up. There is nothing quite as wonderful as a 3" 357 revolver.

I think I would rule out the 629, since if you are going to do any handgun hunting, I would think you would want a 6-8" barrel.

JDBerg

Here's Hickok45 shooting a pre-lock 66 with a nice Model 19 to compare it to;

http://youtu.be/S-UF6CpThdk

He cocks his shots shooting that 66 which is a wasted motion on a vintage K-frame but it's a pretty good video anyway!

Last edited:

Mr. Hill

Wow, Cajun's 69 is sweet, and you could load .44 specials for it.

Otherwise the 66 sounds right for your current set-up.

kilimanjaro

A 4.25" S&W you can shoot .44 Special in? I'm going to second the motion on that one.

If you can't 'pull the trigger' on that one, go with the .357, you won't regret it, either.

bedbugbilly

I figure that overtime i add a new caliber to reload, I'm looking at $100 to $135 by the time I get a set of dies, shell holders, mold and brass. Maybe more if you opt for a Lyman, RCBS, old over a cheap Lee to get you started.

Why do I add a new caliber? Usually due to a new gun or wanting a change. I shoot a lot of 38 special and some 357 so I cast and reload for that. I was getting a little bored so I added a 45 Colt.

If you are getting a little bored and want something different to play with - if it was me, I'd go with the 44 Mag for hunting and then load 44 Special for general shooting. But that's just me.

You have a 10mm to satisfy the semi-auto desire and use it for hunting . . . but there's nothing like a good Smith revolver IMHO.

A tough decision but you'll figure it out. Good luck! :)

849ACSO

Well, it's all for naught. I was at Graf's today buying some reloading stuff and they had a new 6" GP100in the case.

I've never owned a GP100 and have some S&W revolvers already, and it looked like it needed a home.

Anyway, the 44MAG will have to come on some impulse buy later...........that's usually the only way I add a new caliber.

old bear

The .44 Magnum can be a case of overkill for most, unless you reload, which will save you money and allow you to tailor your ammo for your needs. As you already have a 10 M/M for hunting you don't need the .44 Magnum for that.

As you already reload for the .357 Magnum the new Model 66 would be my vote, if I could not locate first issue model 66.

skoro

I'd get the k-frame. But that's just me. I have a thing for how they fit my hand with a Tyler T-Grip and balance so well in 4" barrel lengths.

Dano4734

Bagged a lot of deer through the years with my model 29 s+w 44 mag
I never ever liked shooting it however. What a beast.