What Would You Do?

warbirdlover

I have this burning urge to get a CZ 550 American, probably in .270 Winchester. I got a price at Gander (they have to order it) of $650 on it.

Here's the kicker. To get this I'd have to sell my beloved Ruger M77 Mk II all-weather .300 Win Mag. I've had it for 15 years and it's a tack hammer. I'm not sure what it's worth.

Would you sell the M77 to get the CZ?

Don't give me other alternatives. For me there aren't any. I'm not rich and I don't need/want more then two rifles (other is Remington 700).

Hog Hunter

There is nothin like the feeling of bringing home a new gun. maybe except puttin a big buck on the dirt. But it would be hard for me to get rid of a rifle I am very comfortable and taken game with.

mdd

Why would you sell a proven rifle that you're obviously fond of just to scratch an itch? This has the makings of being a thread five years from now about that rifle "i wish I'd never sold".

Saltydog235

Why would you sell a proven rifle that you're obviously fond of just to scratch an itch? This has the makings of being a thread five years from now about that rifle "i wish I'd never sold".

Nail meet hammer

mdd

By the way, if its an all-weather ruger produced mid 90's I'm guessing its somewhere around a 786 prefix serial number rifle. Should have the old skeleton stock which adds some value albeit not a lot in a large caliber, long action. I watch them on gunbroker enough to confidently tell you a 300 mag will fetch $450 to $500 if its in good condition. If you sell it with a quality scope it may bring more but not enough more to repurchase a scope of comparable quality. If you sell it with a Simmons, tasco, bushnell (non-elite model) it won't add anything of note to the value of the rifle.
Whatever route you go that involves selling this rifle, you will end up short & have to pony up some cash.

warbirdlover

By the way, if its an all-weather ruger produced mid 90's I'm guessing its somewhere around a 786 prefix serial number rifle. Should have the old skeleton stock which adds some value albeit not a lot in a large caliber, long action. I watch them on gunbroker enough to confidently tell you a 300 mag will fetch $450 to $500 if its in good condition. If you sell it with a quality scope it may bring more but not enough more to repurchase a scope of comparable quality. If you sell it with a Simmons, tasco, bushnell (non-elite model) it won't add anything of note to the value of the rifle.
Whatever route you go that involves selling this rifle, you will end up short & have to pony up some cash.

mdd

Yup, it's the skeleton stock with a new limbsaver pad on it and the serial number starts with 783. (I still have the original pad to put back on). Very nice shape.... well here's a pic of it.

Attachments

• gun2gggg22.jpg
    gun2gggg22.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 28

PIGMAN

If I could have only one rifle and my choice was between a .270 and a .300 Win Mag no question about it I would take the .300 Win Mag.Especially if game larger than deer were on the menu.

BfloBill

Keep the rifle that has already proved its effectiveness.

+1 Pigman - Stepping down in caliber may limit you in the future.

taylorce1

I like to buy rifles and hate to sell them. I sell a few every now and then but for the most part the good ones will stay in the safe. I'd find a way to buy the rifle you want and keep the old Ruger. I'd start by building a rifle slush fund and save $25 a pay check.

I don't know what you use the .300 Win on but I can tell you at normal hunting ranges a .270 is no handicap on game larger than deer. Just choose the proper bullet and go hunting that is all it takes to put larger game in the freezer. I used a .270 for several years on elk and I've never lost one that I shot yet because the .270 was under powered.

warbirdlover

I've been using the .300 Ruger mostly for big Wisconsin whitetail bucks but it's killed two elk, a black bear and a mule deer buck.

I just got a .270 Win. Remington 700 SPS Buckmasters this year so I'm not sure I need the .300 anymore since I doubt I'll get out west again. If I got the CZ it might be a different caliber then .270. I just got the quote on that as it's common.

mdd

Sounds like you're just wanting some new hardware. That being the case, I'd say do what makes you happy. Let me know if you want out of that .300. There's always room in my safe for more ruger skeleton stock rifles.

aarondhgraham

You used the word "beloved",,,

That should tell you something my friend,,,
Keep the Ruger and sell blood instead.

That CZ is only 24 quarts away.

Aarond

Kreyzhorse

If you already have a .270, what other cartridge do need that a .270 can't do? In my eyes, you don't have a need to fill with a new gun you just have gun lust and aren't thinking rational.

I wouldn't trade that .300 Win Mag away if I were you.