What would you do?

Harry Callahan

I have a Meriden .32 top break revolver. I guess it's known as an Iver Johnson design. I inherited this piece from my wife's late grandfather. The problem is that it seems to need some work. The cylinder doesn't line up correctly with the barrel(lock up?)and there does seem to be an excessive gap between the cylinder and barrel. I would never consider firing it in it's current condition. I've seen similar guns on the internet for sale and they don't seem to bring much. My question is if this is even worth repairing. I've had it to a gunsmith and he says it would probably be about $75-$100 to repair it. Would you guys/gals do it or would you wait for a gun turn in day we have here in Illinois and get a $50 gift card from Wally world?:confused:

Billy 45

The fact that you are taking the time to ask TFL's opinion, makes me think you are really wanting to fix it and keep it. Take the money out of the equation. Would fixing it up make your wife happy that Grandfather's pistol is still around the house?

croyance

If there is sentimental value, turning it in on a gun buyback is not an option even if the gun doesn't work.
Funny, I just saw an Iver Johnson breaktop .22LR that needs about $100 in work.
I'd have it fixed, but this is TFL you are talking about. You are going to find a lot of people that say this just for the fun factor and the indignity of an unworkable gun. Think about it.
Besides, I like breaktops - an evolutionary dead end.
It can always be cleaned up and put into a nice case as a family history piece if the wife doesn't think it is worth it.

JSalcedo

I had the same issue with an old belgian .22 revolver

Went to three gunsmiths and they all said forget fixing it and put it in a shadow box.

Ruger4570

The reason the timing is so bad is because they were "cheap" guns when made. I would simply put it in a place of honor.

jrfoxx

I have an Iver johnson 2nd model top breaqk 38 that was my grandfathers that has the same problems as you describe, so I just built a little hinged, glass door wall display case for like $10, and enjoy it for its history, oddity, and because it's WAY better than turning it in to be destroyed, or rusting on a shelf somewhere.
guns001.jpg

Blue Heeler

I'd keep it too. I have a ancient air pistol that was my father's. I put thousands of slugs through it and so did my son. It's pretty well worthless in material terms. But there are human values, sometimes they are more important than the material ones.

Lavan

How come everybody had a cheap grandfather?

Ya'd think ONE or TWO wudda bought S&W Triple Locks an S&W Straightlines an some Colt Officer Models, wud'ncha?

Like deer that used to die with a 25-20 in em, old timey crooks wud fall over wit .32's in em. Even from da POLICE!

Jist ain't fair. :D

croyance

Now that you are keeping it, but not fixing it. do remember to teach those that come after you that it is a real firearm - with the liabilities attached. Or remove the firing pin. People do play with these things in ways they aren't supposed to.