What would you choose?

n3twrkm4n

I'm in the market for yet another gun... woo hoo paychecks keep rollin in! It's great to be young and not have lots of liabilities...

I was looking for a .357 mag/.38spcl type wheelgun.

I had my eye on a snubby but have had a hard time finding one for around $600 that I liked the looks of. I like the Smith's Scandium? ones but they run about $800 I think.

My two ideas were either the Ruger GP100 in 4" or the Smith and Wesson 620 (4" also).

Wondering if anyone has had experience with them, or could recommend a different solution.

I'm all for traditional looks, I like the old style blueing but prefer a newer stainless look instead of the new style bleuing (just doesn't catch my eye like a classic wheel gun). Price range is $600 and less.

Websites are good I haven't looked at other manufacturer's but I stuck with smith's and rugers cause I know how they work reliably because I've used them before.

Opinions are greatly appreciated.

WillBrayjr

I would have to vote for the Ruger GP-100. More durable than the Smith, just as dependable and accurate without the cost. Ruger's customer service is second to none.

n3twrkm4n

Smith and Wesson markets their .357's as being able to shoot .38 spcl +p ammo but Ruger does not make claims of that on their website...

Do the Ruger 357's allow you to use .38 spcl +p as well? or just plain .38spcl?

Nevermind Answered my own question....

Ruger allows .357, .38 spcl, .38 spcl +P+, and .38spcl +P

Bullrock

I don't have a M620, so I can't comment. I do have a M629jm, M29-2, M625 & M66. All are nice shooting guns with great mechanics. All are very smooth and I would speculate the M620 would be as well.

I do have a GP-100, 3". The mechanics are not as smooth as my smith's but it is a very nice revolver. I don't think you can go wrong with either the smith or the ruger. If I were young with no responsilities and paychecks rolling in I'd buy a Colt Python and really show off...woo hoo!!!!! :D

n3twrkm4n

Well maybe I have some responsbilities :p, I could dream though...

I can find Ruger GP100's around here in blue for about $390... I haven't looked into the Smith's yet...

wait I just did (thank God for highspeed internet)

$516 seems to be the lowest M620 around here...

Jkwas

let's see....

Probably get two. GP100 in stainless, 3in barrel, half lug, and maybe a Bisley Vaquero single action in stainless. Then I'd look around for an old used snub in good condition. :D

FullEffect1911

Looks like i get to be the dissenting opinion here.

Go for the smith. IMO smiths are more "refined" then the comparable rugers, however not quite as tough when feed a steady diet of hardcore magnum rounds. From my own personal experiences smith triggers feel smoother in double action. Single action trigger is similar on both rugers and smiths. S&W revos are more refined, less sharp edges, smoother extracor rod action, stuff like that. And like i said Rugers are tanks, a real "working man's" gun. The differences here are not huge mind you, but enough to sway someone to one side or another.

The model 620 according to S&W is pretty much a 686 with a semi lug. It replaced the 66 (K frame) with the stronger L frame.

Don't get me wrong i love both ruger and smith, but for example i own a ruger redhawk .44 and a Smith 686.

I say smith.

Bullrock

Also you could try a used smith they are quite elegant as full effect just described. I own a M66, 2 1/2" beauty I just bought on the Internet for $420.00. I also own a M34, 2" I also bought on the Internet for $400.00

Here's the M34...
attachment.php

bk83gold

You mentioned a snubby are you going to use the gun for carry? Or are you going to use the Gun for target shooting.

If you are going to carry then I say save up the money and get the scandium Smith 357. I have a 386 scandium mountain light and it is perfect for carry.

On the other hand I own a GP100 4" that I use for target shooting. This gun is much heavier and is not so fun to carry around all day long, but I can shoot 357 hot loads all day long with it.

Good luck in your search

Brandon

n3twrkm4n

I'd like it for carry but also for shooting targets, cause I have an XD 5" and that is sometimes too much to carry. My dad owned a Smith and Wesson snub nose which he loved but he had to get rid of it for $$$... that was a long time ago.

I like the looks of the one mentioned above.

Those airlite smith's are they rough to shoot?

n3twrkm4n

Well I gave in today... I felt a Ruger GP100 and I loved the grip of it and the feel and it drew up perfect for me...

So I ordered the 6" version... can't wait to get it in, currently outa stock at the distributors but the guy said 2 weeks or so then I gotta wait another week for the judge to sign my pistol permit ammendment.

In the mean time, anyone recommend some good holsters? I appreciate holsters with a softer feel to them that form well. I was looking at bianchi, haven't looked at Galco's yet but wondering if someone had some oddball company that maybe isn't quite as popular but makes great products!

thanks guys!