What would you buy.

dvdcrr

Here are some 308 options to consider, if you want, rank these in order of which you would buy first and why:
16" Saiga 308
16" Armalite AR10
18" Smith Wesson MP 10
M1A standard.

Shadow9mm

What am I buying it for?

only 2 I would consider are the
#1 S&W MP10, cool, functional
#2 M1a, cool

Personally I prefer an 18 or longer barrel for a 308, so that rules out the saiga or Armalite for me, I would never buy either.

OP/dvdcrr:

I’ve briefly tried a Saiga .308.

A friend will soon shoot his nib Springfield M1A-1.

"Already Bought it":D: the NIB PTR-91 arrived 10 days ago and it’s my favorite rifle.

What types of targets, distance, sights/ features do you prefer?

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
Since I'm long, long past my days of hopping in and out of APCs I don't see the sense in handicapping myself with a 16" barrel .308.

Standard rack grade M1A, bought it in the mid 80s all GI parts except the receiver. Shoots better than I do, does everything I could want a .308 Semi to do, and it just "fits" me better than any thing else (AR/AK/HK/FAL)

Had them all (nearly) KEPT my M1A.
:D

Scorch

16" Saiga 308
16" Armalite AR10
18" Smith Wesson MP 10
M1A standard.
I would NEVER buy a Saiga. Never.
Also would not buy a FN-FAL or a HK 91. Too heavy, waaaay too heavy.
Unless I had no other options, I would not buy an Armalite
I have sold off all the M1As that came my way when my brother died and have no desire to buy any more.
The S&W M&P-10 is a great 308 AR. I have fired several of them over the past 10 years and was always impressed.
Also impressed by the RRA LAR308.

If I had to go out and buy a semi-auto 308 AR, it would most likely be either a DPMS, Aero, or S&W. Others are either overpriced or not fully compatible.

Rob228

My Armalite pistol shoots way better than it should for what it is, given your list I'd probably do an AR-10 but with a longer barrel. I have wanted an M1A for a long time but after carrying one for a deployment (accursed with a Douglas Barrel, McMillan Stock and Leupold glass) the damn thing felt like a musket in length and weighed close to 12 pounds. Same barrel and glass in a lighter weight stock? Maybe, but I think the AR-10 'might' just be a better platform.

GeauxTide

I have an M1A as a collector piece. I just bought a Browning BAR Mk3 DBM Left Hand. 18" Fluted Hammer Forged barrel and 7.4# of Hog Bustin Bliss. Got a Leupold Hog Hunter 1.5x4 to mount.

chadio

Do you want the easy answer or do you want a challenge?

I shot and qualified with the M14 in my Navy days. Will never forget how easy it was to put rounds on target, based upon the inherent accuracy, excellent sights, and good (potentially exceptional) trigger.

Personally, the ease of making good shots, the current cost of the M1A and .308 ammo turned me away.

Today, I like the challenge of something unfamiliar, and making it work. As much as I loved my experience with the M14, that was 32 years ago and even if I had one now, my eyes and stability will never be the same.

Do what is right for you... And if you can afford an M1A and the ammo and have never fired one, do it .... just remember that it is the easy answer.

Best of luck and let us know