What would you build?

taylorce1

Just got this old 1917 Winchester action.
cimg3090.jpg

cimg3088.jpg

cimg3091.jpg

cimg3087.jpg

cimg3092.jpg

cimg3093.jpg

It has been opened up for a magnum round, some of the other mods include, filled duck pond, straightend bottom metal, new bolt handle, speed lock kit, and Timney trigger. I already own two other rifles that use the same bolt face, a .300 H&H on a 1917 Rem action, and .375 Ruger on a M70 action. I'm not really interested in going smaller than the .300.

So far my thoughts have been towards one of four chamberings.

#1 .375 H&H to match my .300 H&H. The .375 Ruger is my only problem with this choice.

#2 .416 Ruger for a Rigby in a standard action, plus I found a .416 unturned blank by Shilen for a reasonable price.

#3 .416 Taylor, again because of the cheap barrel, and can be made from .458 Win Mag brass.

#4 .458 Lott, multiple bullet choices over all the big bores over .375 and can shoot .458 Win Mag through the Lott chamber. If I decided to ever sell the rifle it might bring more intrest with the big bore crowd.

Last edited:

HiBC

Whatever you want!!

The 375 H+H is a natural.
I'm inclined to reserve these actions for long cartridges.
The H+H is also modest pressure.
If you think the cartridge will be around,a .338 Rem Ultra has potential,its ballistic match to the Lapua.And,the lapua is an option.

An eccentric choice might be a 404 Jeffries.

taylorce1

An eccentric choice might be a 404 Jeffries.

I like the .404 Jeffery cartridge a lot but brass and bullets are expensive. I was trying to keep the expense down on the components. That is why the .375 and .458 kept jumping at me. As far as the Lapua or Rum I'd rather keep this to a more classic cartridge for the action kind of thing. I'd do the .416 Rigby as well if it wasn't for the brass.

mapsjanhere

375 H&H, and put the Ruger on gunbroker :D

Or look at the 8x68S, it fits age wise, and probably the most accessible of the 8 mm Magnums.

taylorce1

9,3x62 is nice...-tINY

Sure is a nice cartridge, but will not work with this bolt face. Plus I already have a .35 Whelen. If I go with a 9,3 caliber might have to try that new .370 Sako cartridge!;)

HiBC

It is a rare beast that requires more than the .375,it has a 308 trajectory,and they are still fun to shoot.

I found the 416 Rem ,not fun to shoot.