What would the crime rates do if EVERYONE had a large dog?

simonov jr

I have two dobies and strangers can't get near the house without a pretty fierce response at the window. I'm curious how many of the home-intrusion rapes, robberies and murders would occur at all if the intended victims owned a couple of large, protective-breed dogs wandering on premise. On the other hand, I remember that Nicole Simpson had an Akita, which wandered off while she got hacked, so maybe that's not the right breed? or else it was close to OJ. I also have wondered about the Elizabeth Smart case, where the intruder was hiding in the house for long periods but some reports refer to the family dog in the house (beagel or something? talk about a useless pooch). Anyway, my opinion is that a rottie, dobie or other such large-bodied dog/dogs would deter MOST (all but the most determined) intruders and cause them to seek a softer target. What do you think? And why don't more people think of this?

Atc1man

wondered about the Elizabeth Smart case, where the intruder was hiding in the house for long periods but some reports refer to the family dog in the house

Think inside job.......
There are lots of weird rumors going around about that whole debacle.

bastiat

I'm very surprised that an Akita would just wander off while the owner was attacked.

Maybe the Akita had prior meetings with the attacker in the OJ case where he wasn't considered an attacker. Hmmm.

IIRC, Akitas were trained as guard dogs for Japanese loyalty, so they should be very good for home protection, OJ Simpson case notwithstanding.

notbubba

Before you said a large, protective-breed I was thinking
"If the large dog is a golden retriever than the burglar would get a nice friendly welcome:D .

illuminatus99

burglaries and rapes would definately drop, unfortunately dog crime would probably skyrocket as some people aren't willing to take the time to obedience train a large dog.

bedlamite

If the large dog is a golden retriever than the burglar would get a nice friendly welcome

Not quite. Had a golden about ten years ago, and I always figured Brandy would hold the flashlight for a burglar. I forgot my keys once, so I went around back to a certain window that needed the lock fixed and jimmied it open. It took about 2 minutes for Brandy to realize it was me, quit snarling, and let me in. When things settle down at my new house, I'll be getting another golden.

lonegunman

The problem with this idea of everyone having a large dog is that people are not responsible enough to keep the dogs under control.

It is easier to keep a gun under control than a dog.

jmlv

I have a pitbull AND a saint bernard in my house

WHAT Surviving litigants? If one does'nt getem the other will!
Would you argue with this protector?

Attachments

• socks head shot.jpg
    socks head shot.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 163

There are so many advantages to owning a dog that it doesn't make sense not to.

One of the advantages paid off for me. I was at work. Dog was at home on duty. A poor misunderstood economically challenged gentlemen broke into my house through the sliding glass door. My cute little Rottweiler intercepted him about two feet inside the door.
Arrived home to find nothing missing, dog asleep on the bed, pool of blood about three feet in diameter in front of the door.

krazycowboy

ya don't even need a large dog

I agree, I have two small mutt dogs and they make a big stink if anyone they don't know or like comes near the property.

Funny how dogs can be such good character judges. ;)

Atc1man

:D

My MK99 Early Warning Devices (see attached)
I got one in classic woodgrain, and the other in evil assault black/urban camo (although the woodgrain one is probably more dangerous)

:p

Attachments

• dumb_and_dumber.jpg
    dumb_and_dumber.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 134

Gusgus

Dogs are a must have for both early warning, and a deterrent. Personally, I prefer the largest possible. Gusgus (I use his name online) was a 165 lb., big baby, I love everyone, rottweiler. He, and my 120 lb. female rottie made my family feel very safe.

Late one night, around midnight, my wife & I heard a couple horrified screams coming from the downstairs family room. Almost at the same moment we heard the Rotties start to roar, and the back door slam shut. I grabbed the Walther, and went to investigate. Gusgus was standing at the back door, grunting a low growl, with his back hair standing on end. I opened the door, and he ran to the side of the porch, starring down the driveway. From what I can tell, two or more intruders had come through the back door, only to be surprised by my monster sized Gusgus. They ran for their lives slamming the door behind them. If not for the dogs, we may not be here today.

Last December, we lost Gusgus to bone cancer, at the young age of 6 years. Though the loss was extremely painful, and I'm still not over the big boy, I decided that I can't live without a large male guardian in the house.

Our newest family member is George. Here's a picture of him when he was but a wee 8 month old puppy. He's added a couple inches, and filled out some since then, with another 30 - 60 lbs. to go.

There will always be at least one big dog in this house.

krazycowboy

Our newest family member is George. Here's a picture of him when he was but a wee 8 month old puppy. He's added a couple inches, and filled out some since then, with another 30 - 60 lbs. to go.

HOLY MACKERAL! He's not a doggie, but a "I don't know what"!!?? :D

My dogs are some kinda hound-mix (30-40lbs), but retained their bay when after varmints, their voice changes with an unknown. But I really have no crime problem here.

Sorry to hear about Gusgus, I'm sure he was family like my dogs are.

Ladybug

Dogs are awesome, and I think anyone who doesn't have one is missing out... on the other hand, I agree with those that said that a lot of people do not deserve them. Dogs are not like an alarm system that you install and then forget about -- they take a lot of training and time, and most people just aren't willing to be responsible in that way. If you've ever seen that show on Animal Planet about the dog cops (foget the name) you'll see what I mean -- it makes me sick the way some people treat their animals!