what would happen if i took the sear out of my gun?

Lavid2002

Would I just get a poorly designed machine gun? Just curious....I was polishing my RRA 2 stage trigger and I noticed the pin that holds the sear on the trigger is flared on both ends so it cannot be removed. If I removed it would I just get basically an unreliable automatic rifle or what?

I hope im referring to the right part. Im calling the "sear" the part that catches the hammer and keeps it from falling a second time after the trigger is pulled.

roklok

No, the hammer would follow the bolt carrier forward. It could cause slam fires or doubling if you had sensitive primers but not likely. Even if it did work once in a while, it would cause a stoppage every time the hammer would follow the bolt carrier forward and it did not fire. You would have a loaded round in chamber, but the hammer would be down.

This type of "modification" could land you a stint in federal prison if it did work, no matter how poorly, so definitely do not attempt.

The part you are referring to is the disconnector and not the sear. The AR15 does not have a sear in it. Also, roklok accurately describes what would happen if you modified the disconnector so it did not catch the hammer.

Because the AR15 firing pin cannot protrude from the bolt enough to fire normal ammunition until the bolt is locked, you would most likely end up with a rifle that would fire a single round and then stop since the hammer hit the firing pin before the round was chambered and the bolt locked. If you didn't seat the primers well or used very sensitive primers that didn't require much of a hit, you would get either a short run of full-auto followed by a stoppage or a short-run of full auto followed by an out of battery explosion.

That's the great thing about most homemade "full-auto" conversions - they are self-correcting for the most part.

Lavid2002

This type of "modification" could land you a stint in federal prison if it did work, no matter how poorly, so definitely do not attempt.

Strictly asked out of curiosity. I would never try anything like this its just something I would like to know.

Thats what I figured would happen, the hammer would ride the BCG and just apply a little more force to the FP, this extra ammount of force MAY set off the primer upon the BCG closing, but it probably wont because it didnt have the normal amount of time to reach its full speed because it was cradled by the BCG.

Also, I reload with rem 7 1/2 BR, these are thick-cupped primers and they reduce the possibility of a slam-fire.

Thanks guys

Scorch

The reason the pin is flared on both ends is so that it will not shoot loose and drift over and jam up the mechanism. And as the others correctly stated, if you removed or altered the disconnector, the gun might double frequently, possibly fire a short burst occasionally, but in general you would have a jam almost every time it did. There's an old saying you might have heard: if you don't know what it does, don't mess with it.

G'day, I know somebody that 'adjusted' a sear catch plate on a Philippians made .22lr semi auto. It would go full auto for about 3 shots then jam. A couple of times it fired the round before the chamber was closed.
It was not a practical 'upgrade' so it was returned to SOP.

45_Shooter

what would happen if i took the sear out of my gun?

It would become a completely useless, dangerous, and illegal bullet hose.

The lighter AR-15 bolt carrier was never designed to go full auto anyhow; I'd imagine the uncontrollable high rate of fire would have a negative effect on longevity of everything as well.

ckd

If you want an fully automatic weapon, in most states, if you are a good citizen, you can legally purchase a pre-ban with the appropriate tax stamp and paperwork. This is what smart people do.

It isn't cheap, but I think you would find it much cheaper and more comfortable than having the feds knocking on your door.

I wish there was a sticky posting that forbade the question; it just invites trouble.

m.p.driver

Built my first ar-15 probably back in 1989,got the kits from Nesard who are hopefully no longer in business.Sloppy chambers and cut m16 parts were the norm.Sighted it in single shot and all was good,went to rapid fire prone and things got interesting.Squeezed the trigger and 8 rounds went full auto downrange,without breaking cheek weld i asked my buddy to my right if anyone noticed and the reply was ,i had the whole firing lines attention.Rifle section leader pointed out that nesard was taking m16 hammers and cutting the auto hook off,with the bump in front of the sear it would slip after the first round.He had an extra ar-15 hammer in his shooting box so a swap was arranged.

Lavid2002

wow, thats crazy! How about that one guy about a year ago who borrowed his buddys ar and it double fired a couple times. The guy got like 10 years....anyone remember this? Madness. Thanks for the link I never knew how an automatic rifle worked but now I understand. The BCG disconnects the auto sear. For clarification...WHAT is the difference between a sear and a disconnector? I know what the 2 parts are but what "Technically" is the difference. I.E the purpose of a hammer is to hit the firing pin and ignite the primer.
Thanks! Dave

ar15chase

The guy who got 10 years for a double fire out of his buddies ar...whas he the former marine? I remember hearing on the news about a former marine, or ex-army guy, who got arrested at the range, but never heard anything else on it.