what would fill the hole best?

XLT

OK... I sold a couple of firearms I wasn't using... so I have a little money to recycle into the "herd"

Been looking at 1)Marlin 336 2) Delton Parts kit build on an AR-15

This is what I have

2 AK
2 SKS (m59 and m59/66)
1 10/22
2 12 gauge (one pump, one o/u)
1 9mm subcompact
1 .38 spcl snubbie
1 .22/.22wmr revolver
1 30.06 (Marlin XL7)

Marlin 336 I think would make a good pig gun, as well as a shorter range deer gun (when I am hunting South Texas, instead of West)

AR-15 is obviously cool, don't have one, maybe a coyote gun.

Anyone see any FUNCTIONAL holes in my selection that I might want to address? i.e.-home/self defense, hunting etc.

imp

I love marlin lever actions, but you do already have 5 .30 cal. rifles....so how about one in .45/70?

XLT

sorry imp, that was directed to the wise guy who suggested a .50 BMG...

You're right, I should look at in a different caliber than the 336 is available..

rottieman33

Friend got a Marlin 45/70 its a nice gun. and if i remember right it can also shoot .444 and another caliber and but can't remember

XLT

yeah... that's true... although I've never had to use a sidearm while hunting. Of course, everyone NEEDS a big revolver... I can see that :D

The "herd" is looking a little lighter these days... it seems guns are like cows... if you can't afford to feed them, you gotta start selling them...

But, I don't feel under equipped for anything I have done so far, so that is good...

Last edited:

lefteyedom

If you want a lever action then a Marlin Guide gun in 45/70 would cover pigs, black bear, and deer.

The "hole" I see is in the elk, moose, and bigger and the long range antelope deer department.

Deer, antelope... 257 Weatherby

Elk, Moose and larger... 338 win mag

Jim243

If you ride a lot I would suggest the Marlin 336C with a scabord. But I see you live in TX and don't have a 1911. You sure your a Texan?

You could get into cowboy action shooting so a 45 LC could be a choice too.

Jim

XLT

Yes, born and bred... had a 1911, didn't like it :)

(that may be sacrilege on this board, I know)

Jim243

No not here on this forum, not sure in El Paso?

I own one just because I own one, not a big fan either. My favorite is a FNP-40. See you don't have a 40 either. But my all time looker is a Taurus PT-92 I use it for IDPA matches.

IMG_0823.jpg

Jim

Quentin2

Yeah, the holes seem to be in sidearms, though not having a 336 and AR-15 are huge too. Don't like the 1911? Sacrilege! And where are the Hi-Power and .357? :D

M.O.A.

i would say i didnt see a mag. in ur herd so i would pick something like 7mm 300win. 338win 8mm 350rem 375h&h 416rem mag

for me it would be the 7mm mag to start with then work ur way up :D

Skans

How about a good .308 battle rifle (FAL, M1A, or HK/PTR-91)
Also, I notice you don't have a .45acp pistol - not a bad idea to have one of those.