What would ever possess someone to buy a Hi-Point or Jennings ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread2

There is no reason for anyone to carry such a dangerous POS when there are good safe guns that you can buy for the same price.

leedesert

Because if your going to commit a crime why invest a lot of money on a gun you're going to throw away later anyway.

HS2000

Don't lump the Hi-Point carbines into the same trash heap as their pistol siblings. The carbine's reputation is one of being surprisingly reliable and accurate, especially given their low price tag.

I acquired one as a throw-in on a firearms swap. Other than its Star Wars cosmetics and being a bit of a pain to detail strip, mine has actually been a treat to own. With the red-dot scope, compensator, and laser, it can be a real hoot to shoot as well. Extremely easy to stay on target. And probably a good thing that it only comes with 10rd mags, as that prevents the owner from racking up an expensive ammo bill --- it's startling how quickly you can go through a box of 9mm... ;)

Take care. Marko

tonyulichnie

Not Again

Unless you have any background in the handling of the Hi-Point handguns which I have 2 the 9mm Compensator and the JC40 .40 S&W then you know nothing.
Mine are very reliable and I carry everyday. No problems and many rounds through both my girls.
Everyone has something they can say about every handgun out there on how bad this or that is.
I shoot side by side with all my friends and there more exspensive handguns with no hickups.
So thank you very much.
Oh and cornbread since I have been reading your comments lately I can only say I wish I had some way of blocking off your name so that your lame comments would not even show up.
Tony

Foxy

Oh and cornbread since I have been reading your comments lately I can only say I wish I had some way of blocking off your name so that your lame comments would not even show up.

Click on user cp (upper right of each page), then click on "Edit Ignore List" and add in his name.

Just FYI; I have nothing at all against cornbread. :)

Eric Larsen

Different gun makers use different materials and processes in making said guns. The price they sell for reflects the amount put into their production. If their is a market they will make them for that market. Many 'inexpensive" guns are made for beginning shooters/those who want to try it and not spend lots of cash just in case its not for them. Both guns mentioned fit this market place. Not everyone has TFL/experienced shooters etc to seek advice from and may purchase one of these guns. I personally have shot both and found the guns, dependable and somewhat accurate, despite the "reputation" they have and my personal choice that I dont see value in owning them. To each their own.

My choice is my choice...thats it. I wont sway anyone from buying whatever they want if thats what they are gonna do...but if they ask me for an honest opinion..they will get it.
I wont slam anyone for any gun they own or support. I have made some choices that have bit me on the *ss! Who hasnt?

Im not a gun snob and wont come across like I am one. I wont push my "personal Jesus" of guns on people as I yell from my
holy tower. A Jennings or Hi Point in a gun fight is better than no gun at all....................shoot well

mini14jac

I have owned a couple of the Jennings .22s.
At the time, I could not afford anything else.
(We are talking $70 here.)

I believe in the 2nd ammendment, and enjoy shooting.
The little J22s were accurate enough for plinking, reliable with hot ammo, and a lot of fun to shoot.
Now that I have been blessed enough to afford better guns, I have no need for a Jennings.
At the time, I did not realize how unsafe they were to carry with a round in the chamber.
I was fortunate.

We need to be sure we don't become a society where only the wealthy can afford guns.

As for HiPoint, I agree with others about the carbines.
I have heard nothing but good about them, and my brother has one that he loves.

Pappy John

Hi, Vyper. You have obviously never come across the Jennings Commemorative "Ultra Zinc" with genuine woodlike "Super Laser Grips" with the ultra-rare Hi-cap 7 round magazine. A handsome weapon indeed, but without the bone smashing power of the .25 ACP or the precision accuracy of the Raven. (stolen without permission)

Cornbread2

My "lame" comments are the result of my experience with firearms and gunsmithing before some of you were even born.

I do this **** for a living.

When I post something it is truth.

If you do not agree with something I post prove me wrong with logic facts and reason and not you feelings.

It is your problem if the truth offends you just as it is my problem if I am offended by the ignorance of some people.

Guns like the Jennings are not safe to carry. They are made from cheap metal and I see at least one of these a week that has come apart on their owners. I have seen barrels, slides and frames busted.

I know where there is a 5 gal bucket full of these guns that have came apart while being shot. This guy collected these in about one year in his shop.

I know of several people that have had these pieces of junk to fire when they were carring them.

Not long ago someone droped one in a K-Mart store and the POS fired when it hit the floor and the round went through the ankle of an elderly lady.

Several people have been accidently killed by these junks.

The Highpoint is a little better than some of these others but they are still a POS compared to most other quality guns.

stans

I have talked to gun dealers and gunsmiths. They recommend any Jennings that needs repairs just be dropped into the river.

OkieCruffler

I've never owned a Jennings or a Hi-point, and probably never will (although that carbine sure looks fun) but my first semi auto was a Davis P380. After 700 rds it devoloped a crack in the slide, and now resides forever in the back of my safe. Was I disappointed? Not in the least. It was the first semi I had ever owned. I had been raised on revolvers, knew them forward and backward, so when I finally decided that I might be interested in a semi, I didn't really know the first thing about them. I could have spent a small fortune on a Colt/Glock/SIG/etc, but instead I picked up a Davis for $69 and a bunch of ammo. That Davis taught me everything I needed to know about semi's, and started the collection of .380's that I've grown to love.

Eric Larsen

Cornbread2,
I will start with this is not a slam...not directly. The guns mentioned arent the greatest. The dont have the appeal and reputation as the guns we all own. A bucket full of jennings is proof enough not to carry one...couldnt agree more. Hi Points are big, heavy and down right not what I call a good looking gun..however they are dependable and very reasonable. That is fact. I dont like them but I dont hate them either.....

From your years of experience you have seen guns come and go..some good some bad. You have a "learned opinion" .....and speak your truth. Most people who speak your lingo dont have "learned opinions", they are just sheep who read one badly written rag and they are an expert...preaching the evils of saturday night specials....bla bla bla. At least you have experience to back up what you say. I will give credit where it is due. Personally, its the sheep who piss me off........

Everyone should research the guns they buy....and you do get what you pay for. I will stand by what I say...HP's arent my first choice but they arent bad guns.............

Shoot well

Russ

I know nothing about Hi Points. Never seen one or their pistols before. I did however read a favorable article about their carbine recently.

I own a Jennings .22. I bought it from my brother when he rescued me from being stuck in the middle of the stinking Utah desert a million miles from nowhere. I am not disparaging Utah. It could well have been the stinking desert of my home state of California. It was just a place where even the lizards carried canteens and you had to hitch hike to get out or die!

I figured if it happened to me again, it was better to have that little Jennings in my pocket than nothing in a situation like that. For a number of years whenever I went more than 50 miles from home it went with me. For $50, who cares if it got confiscated! My legal troubles would have been much more of a problem.

For what it was, it was reasonably accurate and better than nothing. I now live in a state that will issue me a CCW so I have upgraded. Mine always worked fine. I didn't shoot it too much so I never got the chance to wear it out.

Cornbread2

My problem with the Highpoint is that so many people that own them carry it with a round in the chamber.

This is not only a danger to the owner but to every innocent man woman and child that comes near the owner.

I never said the Highpoint was not reliable. I know that some are reliable.

The fact that some are reliable does not make them safe. It does not make it a quality gun.

I know of a Davis .32 auto that never missed a lick in 5 years. It was 100% reliable untill the barrel split and its owner lost one of his eyes. The Highpoint someday in its life is very likely to do the same.

I cant understand why someone would buy something like a Highpoint to use for the sole porpose of defending the life of themsevles and their family.

Money is not the issue here since that there are several good safe accurate and reliable guns that anyone can buy for about the same price.

There are cheap guns that are safe to carry with a loaded chamber. There are cheap guns that you can carry without 3 layers of clothing to hide it.

The Highpoint carbine is a neat little gun for plinking. The ones I have seen were reliable. It is still not a quality gun. It still is not safe to carry with a round in the chamber.

The Highpoint like the Davis is more or less a cheap gun that will be reliable untill the day that it comes unglued and hurts someone.

In my years on this Earth I have known of many gun accidents. I even have a .22 round in my leg that was put there when I was a kid by someone that did not know better than buy a junk gun.

Almost every one of these terrible accidents could have been avoided by owning a decent gun instead of junk.

Some of these accidents could have been avoided by listening to someone that knows what they are doing.

I know another guy that bought a Talon .380 because he thought it was "cool".

He has a huge scar on his forehead put there by the slide of this "cool" little gun when it came into three pices during the firing of the 3rd mag he put through it.

The metal on the barrel of this gun was so soft I could cut it with my Swiss Army knife.

I know of a case years ago where a guy droped a .25 auto and it fired putting a bullet in the head of his 3 month old baby.

You people can live the way you want but I will not have an unsafe firearm.

If I shoot someone it will not be an accident caused by a junk gun.

Erich

I owned a Jennings J-22 and a J-25. The J-22 was the third pistol(fourth gun) I ever owned, and was purchased to be something for summertime concealed carry - It was 1987, I was a college student and didn't have a lot of dinero. And I didn't realize how ineffectual a mousegun might be.

It always worked fine for me. It liked Stingers, and with them it didn't have problems.

I bought the J-25 when I was managing a gun store. I owned lots and lots of guns, and lots of CCW guns, but my experience with the J-22 was favorable enough that I thought I'd go for the $34 price tag of the .25 (I was on a .25-collecting roll at the time - don't remember why).

It, too, worked fine. It wasn't as pleasant to shoot (somehow) as the J-22, so I didn't really use it beyond a couple of boxes.

Don't know about Hi-Points, and don't know about those clunky .32s/.380s Jennings came out with later. I liked the teensy Jennings pocket pistols. I don't have them now (can't bring myself to rely on a .22/.25), but they worked for me.

But, what would ever possess a TFLer to start a thread with such an inflammatory title? :confused:

vyper005

Erich,
This post was never meant to hurt or belittle anyone...

If someone wants to carry a Jennings..Hi-Point..Davis..whatever it may be...so be it...Who am I to change there mind...I've always known that these "cheaper" made guns were kinda dangerous & didnt last very long...

From all the stories I've heard concerning these "Sat Night Specials" I really dont think I wanna fire any of them let alone bet my life on one...I was just curious as to the reasoning behind the purchase...Is that so bad ??

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
"Lets face it if bar napkins were dollar bills we'd all be drinking Guinness." (Frank Kelly Rich, Modern Drunkard) ;)

Money doesn't grow on trees, and the "myth" of "cheap" "saturday night specials" has been used by the antis to keep (poor and often black) citizens from owning weapons.

We as responsible citizens should not allow these myths to continue. It plays into the hands of the antis.

I think there are far better quality arms available from the old warsaw pact nations for similar pricing, however NOT everyone who buys a firearm knows that. Not everyone who buys an inexpensive arm is a gangbanger or a hoodlum. Not everyone who considers buying a weapon has access to the Shotgun News, or to a forum like TFL, to even be aware that there are high quality defensive arms available. Thats OUR job as responsible owners to help out the new shooter.

Rather than use our time bashing this or that brand name, lets try to be pro-actice and promote the shooting sports while remaining civil and professional.

If all you can afford is a Hi-point, by all means buy it. But practice with it regularly just as you would any other firearm.

Status
Not open for further replies.