What will the military do with m16s when they are done with them

What will happen.... will they come on civilian market and be cheaper or will they sell them to some one else???

I hope they put them on the civie market :D and drive the price down.....

shaggy

They can't come into the civilian market. When the military is done with them, some go to LE agencies, but most get destroyed.

luchs

most of the small arms drop out by the us military force were sell or give as aid to the ally...
back in 1982 israel army find many thousand of new M16A1 ,still in box, in the hand of plo...the weapons was from the aid to lebanon army...

3 weelin geezer

How about cuba or guatemala or costa rica perhaps? My opinion is that they will end up given away to someone else and piled up in someones backyard to just rust like those tommy guns.

Last edited:

63Belair

there was a picture in some other thread I saw a few weeks back of several (and I mean SEVERAL) WWII era thompsons in a pile rusting

Primer

I believe that a law was passed a few years back during the Clinton administration preventing militray surplus arms from ever being sold to the general public as the old WWI and WWII 45s were. I would have to check on that to be sure. I will let you know what I find.

rkba_net

Full-auto weapons owned by the US military are NOT registered with the BATFE... so even though many of these weapons were made before the 1986 cutoff they are NOT transferable...

tintcutter

I know....

I rebuilt the bathrooms in the building they are shipped to at least in part at the Anniston Army Depot in Alabama. The guns are of course inventoried, but those with good parts get cannabilized and the resulting guns meet a good enough standard to be sold. Anniston is the largest arms supermarket in the world. The United States makes a great deal of money on arms sales, or perhaps political capital. While I was there Isreal bought 80,000 M16's and the crew was getting it ready for shipment.

The bad parts, sears and burnt out barrels are sent through a grinder affectionately called "Captain Crunch" which is very loud, and the bits are then melted into slag with torches. From the destruction a metal powder I believe is called cadmium is produced that is very bad for you to breath. I feel for the folks working in that place.

Anyway, I heard about governments shopping for missiles and tanks and heavy guns like the M60 also. That building only handled light arms.

pawz68

A bunch are going to police departments for the cost of shipping. I think each department is allowed to order 10% of their department manpower. A department of 400 can receive 40 rifles. The ones I've seen are beat up M16A1's. Hope this helps.

CQBArms

We just saw some come in and they are really nice NIB M16A1's....drop the top, new upper you are good to go!

CQBArms

Many parts are some are exaggerations. Certainly the leaving stuff behind is...there are bone yards with hundreds of thousands of old guns just rusting in the sun.

Niantician

The military will never be done with them. New conflicts sometimes require old weapons. Imagine how suprised I was when my Platoon SGT handed me a scoped M-14 3 months into my tour in Iraq. They said they were going to phase out the 50-cal machine gun, but now they can't get enough of them. They thought of getting rid of the 40mm grenade and the m-203 that shoots them, now they handing out M-79s to soldiers.

GeorgeF

Its too funny, theyve been saying that about the .50 since Vietnam. "old weapon" blah blah blah. And every time they get in some situation where they need vehicles or light cover (improvised bunkers, people in buildings, etc) taken out - the ol Ma Deuce is the most economical way to do it. Bring a few HumVees with pintle M2's and you can chew up a LOT. You'll saw through a concrete block in no time, so unless the cover is solid with rebar and all, it wont last very long.

Try fiddling with that with M16's, 249's or even the 240. And if the target is a few hundred yards away the bloop gun wont be that accurate. Besides, using the M79 effectively requires some practice, same as anything. How many people today have much time with one of those?

Yeah, that ol .50 will be a round a long, long time. Nothing (Western) exists which fills that role so effectively - it aint a rifle and it aint a cannon. But what it does, it does well.

Silent Trigger

While I'm no fan of the M-16 (I prefer the AK series of assault rifle), I'll say I'd much rather them keep the A2 through A4 variants in active service than adopot that damned XM-8 assault rifle. Over the years I've grown fond of the M-16 even though I remain a Kalishnikov man, but supposedly that new space age toy looking assault rifle is the shiznits. :confused:

dang shame the current M-16s couldn't just be made to semi-auto only and sold into the Civilian market @ surplus, didn't know about that rule passed to make that illegal. :( ***But it's not like it's that big of a deal, I've had experience with fully automatic weapons and other than situations where extreme supression fire is needed, (and in a combat situation you'd want someone with a SAW or LMG backing your six) there's really no need for full auto, semi-auto is all one needs, and you can fire off what you need fast enough anyhow. Or you can cheat a bit and get one of those Auto Burst non internal modification faux automatic mods.