• 250-255 Grain

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • 300 Grain

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rdmallory

What weight do you recommend?

I am hunting a small plot and don't want to use my .308 so I am loading some 45lc for my rifle.

Should I stay with the standard 250? Shooting maximum of 100 yards.

Ruger4570

I have used various bullets, most weighing about 250 grains and of jacketed and cast varieties. I guess I would go heavier rather than lighter as far as bullet weights is concerned. I know there are a lot of shooters that like the lightweights and they too seem to work most of the time, I just prefer heavy over light.

rdmallory

Results

This is shot in a Marlin Lever action.

200gr Leveraction crimped would not feed in the rifle.
250gr Leveraction non crimped would not feed in the rifle.
250grHP did not hold a good pattern.
300gr HP did not hold a good pattern.
300g sp Jacketed with h110 held a good pattern, fed well but kicked more than my 308.

Going hunting tomorrow with the 300g

Doug

13.5 grns. of sr4756 with a 240 grn hp gives you 1200 fps and is a safe load for ruger pistols and marlin rifles per sierra ballistic soft-ware. :cool:

fair groups for the rifle-bullet combo. No tack driver in this caliber that I know of. Make sure of the size of your bbl, and the size of your rounds. .452/.453? that will make a differance in group size. Charlie Serra

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
Smaller than 250 makes a pretty short bullet and I personally don't care for that at rifle ranges, (basically anything over 60+ yards). Rifle, carbine or revolver my choice is LFN or XTP in 250 grain. If I was after black bear or monster feral hog I would switch to 300 gr but it really wouldn't make much difference. I have shot both with 170 grains out of an ancient 32 Win Spcl and they did just fine. I just don't like hollow points, I want my bullets to penetrate before opening up. Personal preference from an old dinosaur for what its worth.