What was this guy up to?

Axion

Last time I was at the range there was a guy next to me shooting some pretty tight groups with an AR15. The thing that caught my eye, is that after each group (looked like 5 shots) he would lay the rifle down and just sit for a while. Was he letting the barrel cool, resting his eyes, what?

RevoRick

You should have asked him. I have found most shooters at my range anxious to engage in conversation about shooting.

blume357

Same reason I like to shoot with 10 round mags in my

little 10/22. And I like to just load 5 rounds in most rifles. Seems like the right amount.... gives you time to rest and contemplate your shooting. Some of us like to take our time... don't need to just spray lead down range.

TPAW

I do the same thing. I let the barrell cool, and relax my body, eyes included. I also decide what rifle I'll shoot next, I usually take 4 or 5.

Hedley

I find myself doing that with my Weatherby and K31. I hate to get the Weatherby hot, and I try to pace myself on expensive 7.5 brass. I also like to sit back and watch other, more seasoned, shooters too.

Hmm... My friends and I go to the range and burn off around 200-300 rounds of 8mm through my Mauser without stopping. Maybe thats why the bore looks like its a tribble farm.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
C.C., it's a "purpose" thing. I guess most folks regard a range session as a learning process, or load testing, or sight-in. Burning off a bunch of ammo in a short time, to me, is merely turning money into noise. I've done that sort of thing, occasionally, with a .22, but not with what I'd call a "serious" rifle. It's always struck me as a waste of money...

I'm not gonna tell anybody, "Don't do that!", but I'd just as soon not be around that when it's going on.

Knob Creek is a different deal. The intent, there, is to turning money into noise, for folks who can readily afford it and thereby be entertained. Sorta like car racing. :)

Art

Lonestar.45

shooting some pretty tight groups

If he was shooting for groups like that, he was letting his barrel cool. Especially if he had a lighter weight barrel profile. Once barrels heat up, the point of impact can change. My SKS shoots great at 50 yds for the first 10 rds or so, then if I keep shooting w/out stopping, the groups open up to 3, 4, 5 inches or more depending on how hot I get the barrel.

My Bushmaster has a superlight barrel, so if I want to shoot tight groups (like when sighting in), I never shoot more than 3-5 in a row before letting the barrel cool. If I continue the groups open up. Not terribly, but if I'm trying to sight in, I want the first shots out of cold barrel in the bull, so that's what you have to adjust to and work for.

C.C., it's a "purpose" thing. I guess most folks regard a range session as a learning process, or load testing, or sight-in. Burning off a bunch of ammo in a short time, to me, is merely turning money into noise. I've done that sort of thing, occasionally, with a .22, but not with what I'd call a "serious" rifle. It's always struck me as a waste of money...

I'm not gonna tell anybody, "Don't do that!", but I'd just as soon not be around that when it's going on.

Knob Creek is a different deal. The intent, there, is to turning money into noise, for folks who can readily afford it and thereby be entertained. Sorta like car racing.

Well when a rifle patterns as poorly as this one did, surplus ammo is 100 bucks for 1000 rounds, and every time you fire it a car alarm behind you goes off,
noise = FUN!

Plus the closest outdoor range is over an hour away for us, so we only get to go once every few months.

sindiesel666

I usually bring 4-5 rifles with me, and at least 1 of them has to be a .22LR. I'll shoot my centerfire 2-3 shots, with about a minute in between shots and then just lay it down, pick up the .22 and have some fun at 100 yard.
I just pick random clumps of dirt or whatever is out there on the berm for target practice. Shoot that for 5 minutes and then go back to CF.

Since I showed that to my shooting buddy (who averaged about 50 bucks in ammo every time we went out, since he waits for nothing to cool down) I've been saving him some serious cash, not to mentioned his groups have tightened up some as well. :)

Both IMO,,I get wicked eye fatigue when I keep looking through my scope..I think the barrel needs a happy medium(to cold changes everything as well to hot).I think he was letting the temp stay stable as well as letting his eye rest and also maybe relaxing and breathing a little while gathering his thoughts:)Maybe the wind picked up a little as well,I don't know

You guys are all wrong.

It was the MIGHTY recoil of the .223! I have a word for it: shatner. Everytime you fire it, yell SHATNER! as the blood trickles from your recoil addled nostrils. To let everyone know you are firing a .223.

Samuel_Hoggson

Shooting can be stressful. No doubt about it. I do the same, but after 90-120 rds of FA. I sit down to breathe, and to swap the upper for a cool one.

Then its back to the grindstone........;)

Sam

chadwimc

He had a Zen thing going on. He was becoming one with his rifle,ammo, target, etc. Very few people can master it. Since I'm a Baptist, I just shoot until the gun is empty. The only down time is for reloading mags...

AR15FAN

With the price of top quality .223 ammo I bet he was just pacing himself and enjoying time at the range. Guys at our local outdoor range will take some shots, relax, use binoc's to see their targets. Serious benchresters let the barrel cool between shots testing their handloads while practicing for competitions. I remember I was shooting an AR15 one afternoon and just taking it slow because I had a headache come on. Sat out a few turns and had the Rangemaster ask me if I was not shooting could I clear my point for the next guy.