What was the WORST day in firearms history?

Falcon642

So what was the worst day in firearms history? What is the day that we should all wear black for in mourning? Some ideas:

• The day the Gun Control act passed
  • The day the Brady bill was passed
  • The day the Assault weapons ban was passed
  • The day Colt stopped making double action handguns
  • The day Gaston Glock was born (ok, ok, ok I'M KIDDING)
  • The day John Browning died

Please be specific and not talk about individual politicians.

Have fun.

lefteye

The day the Gun Control Act of 1968 became effective (as in became applicable law, not as in preventing unlawful use of firearms because, as we know, laws do not prevent crime.)

Nathan

Gun Control Act of 1968 or Gun Owner's Protection Act of 1986, were especially bad days. . .The Assault Weapons Ban and The Import Ban, too.

Crankgrinder

1968 and brady were both bad days but for me the "assault weapons ban" was particularly bad for me. Happened in my lifetime, could not get mags for my 10/22 had to keep reloading those awful 10 rounders and it was a .22 of all things. Mags for anything worth $20-30 cost $100. It was ridiculous. They keep talking about bringing it back, dont ever want to see it again.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Passage of the 1968 GCA--at least in the U.S.
I would say may 19, 1986 dealing with NFA. (going from the best of my memory here)
While it resulted in closing the machine gun registry, the 1986 FOPA was tremendously beneficial to gun owners and FFL holders in every other respect. It is probably the biggest single step FORWARD in terms of U.S. firearms rights in the last 50 years. The only possible contender is the Heller ruling.

Regolith

the NFA of 1934. It's what got the Fed's foot into the door. Just about everything following stems from the power grab that the NFA represented.

Last edited:

sam colt

worst day

March 30 1989, the day Bill Ruger sent a letter to all members of the House and Senate urging the ban on high capacity mags.:mad:

psyfly

National Firearms Act of 1932 may be the best example of the worst.

Door opened ten years later to allow the cancer to grow and spread, another black day:

November 9, 1942, Supreme Court hands down decision in Wickard v. Filburn.

Feds no longer constrained by any reasonable restriction on definition of Interstate commerce.

W.

Last edited:

Webleymkv

Worst day would have to be June 26, 1934 as that was the day that the National Firearms Act, the first federal gun control law, was enacted and opened the door for all further infringement by the federal government.

The second worst day would have to be October 22, 1968 when the Gun Control Act was enacted as that's when the asinine "sporting purposes" test came into law.

The third worst would probably be September 13, 1994 when congress passed and President Clinton signed the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act a.k.a. the Federal Assault Weapons Ban. Whether or not this is the third worst day, however, is debatable as we don't appear to have to live with this one since it "sunset" on September 13, 2004.