what was the FN FAL designed for?

LTrain

Was it a military rifle? I'm really interested in one. I've seen the recent topics on them, but I was wondering, if I slap a scope on it, is it good for deer hunting? I'm pretty much torn between a FNFAL or an AR-15. Thanks guys!

Larry

yankytrash

Yes and yes.

The FN-series of auto-loading battle rifles have an interesting history dating back to as far as the 30's or 40's, before WWII (or, "before the war", as Art Eatman would call it. :D ).

The original design was a .30cal Garand-looking weapon, called the FN-49, but it's major downfall was it's production cost. It was just too damn expensive to really put into a full production run to outfit an entire country's military. By today's standards, it is said that the same rifle would've cost somewhere in the $3000-4000 range, per rifle!

Of course, that didn't stop the designers. After WWII, the gun was given a complete facelift, into the FN FAL that we know today. It was designed into the new "assault rifle" style of weapons that were starting to become so popular, although, by today's standards, it's considered a 'battle rifle' because of it's size.

I could blah, blah on about the history and effectiveness of the FN FAL rifle, but guys out there on the net have made much better web pages on the subject than I relate to you here. Here's a few to get you started:
John Landry's page on the FN-49
H.T. Dang's Short History and info on the FN FAL
THE web discussion board for the FN FAL rifle. You might as well visit this place, because you'll definitely join up when you buy your FAL.

It's definitely going to be a very effective deer-hunting weapon. It's calibered for the 7.62 NATO cartridge (308 Winchester), and that's one of the major rifle calibers used by big game hunters today. Practice ammo can be had at dirt-cheap prices in the form of military surplus, so you are going to have a great time getting to know your FAL without busting your wallet.

Almost any accessory under the sun is available for it, including scope mounts. They are plentiful and easy to find.

Good luck in your decision.

Jake 98c/11b

While the mechanics of the gun can be traced to before WWII I think it is more accurate to say the FAL is a postwar gun. Was originally designed around the .280 British cartridge fo their bulpup design until the US forced the 7.62 NATO round on all member countries. The FN-FAL was redesigned for this round and there we stand today. I always wondered where we would be today if we weren't so adamant about the 7.62x51. The .280 Brit and the 6mm saw were both ideas with merit I think.

yankytrash

I've always thought that too, about the 6mm series. Had they adopted it, I wonder if 5.56 NATO would even exist today.

straightShot

If the U.S. hadn't forced the .308 into the picture(and then ended up adopting the M1A anyhow), I bet the FALs would be using the other round and would even be a tad bit lighter...Originally, it was designed using the 7.92mm Kurz.

Go to The FAL Files for more info.

straightShot

Yanus

"what was the FN-FAL designed for?"

To kill communists........which it has done successfully for over 40 years.

Fabrique
Nacional(sp)
Fusil
Automatique
Legere

"National Factory - Light Automatic Rifle"

gryphon

If you are thinking of using it for hunting, make sure that your state will allow it. I know that in Ohio, there is no "rifle" hunting allowed except muzzleloader and shotgun. In PA, you are allowed to hunt with rifle, but it cannot be semi-automatic, which the FAL falls into that category.

Just want to make sure your not doing soemthing that might get you into a hassle with the Fish and Game Commision in your state.

blackamos

I am in Michigan and have hunted with a FN-FAL for years now. Michigan law allows for only 5 rounds so I had to pick up a few 5 round mags from www.dsarm.com , at $20 a pop they are a little more pricey then the 20 rounders but still a lot cheaper than having to buy new rifle.

jason10mm

But if you crank down the gas regulator, the fal is a mag-fed bolt action gun :) Wonder if you had a closed gas block installed if you could hunt with it. Probably not, damn anti's........ Later.

Destructo6

Actually, the FAL, version T-48(?), competed against the M14 as the US's main battle rifle during the ~1958 trials. If the US had gone with the FAL then, it is doubtful the AR-15 would have been adopted less than ten years later.