What was the Dealer thinking.

scoutleader

I stopped by one of the local gun dealers today while I was out and about. I am checking pawn shops and dealers for a used Lady Smith. At one dealer I got to check out what I thought was a used S&W 640. It had light rust on the smith logo, the inside of the frame where the cylinder fits had light surface rust on it. It looked like crap. I asked why so high on a used gun? They told me it was new, I showed them what I found and they told me it was normal. My 65-3 looks new than it did and it was a service pistol. Anyone else notice anything like this?
Danny

James K

Member In Memoriam
Some dealers define "new" the way some car dealers do. If it had never been sold at retail, it is "new". (It may have been used as a rental gun, shot the heck out of by a store employee, demonstrated to a hundred potential customers, or salvaged from the store flood, but it is still, by the dealer's definition, new.)

Jim

somerled

If it is new, the proprietor hasn't been wiping off the merchandise very well. A little investment in gun oil will pay dividends. :)

wjkuleck

Waaaaait a minute; isn't the 640 Stainless Steel?

26276.jpg

Mayhap not rust, but dried amber crud?

Regards,

Walt

ISP2605

Waaaaait a minute; isn't the 640 Stainless Steel?
Mayhap not rust, but dried amber crud?
Yup, not likely to be rust since it's stainless. Stainless doesn't do the brown rust but if neglected and exposed to the elements will get a tarnished type dull look. S&W uses a amber colored thick preservative sort of like cosmoline on guns leaving the factory. Given the locations of the "rust" it sounds more like the S&W preservative.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Stainless steel definitely DOES rust...just not as easily as carbon steel.
Yes, it does rust, but it's not like it's just a tiny bit harder to get it to rust compared to carbon steel. It's quite a bit more corrosion resistant.

In this case I'm inclined to agree that it's probably some sort of preservative or other reddish colored substance.

ISP2605

Stainless steel definitely DOES rust...just not as easily as carbon steel.
Yes it does, which is what I said. It just doesn't look like the typical brownish-red rust seen on carbon type steel.

scoutleader

It was rust, I check to make sure you could feel the raised spots in it. I have been helping my brother sand a car to paint and right now finger tips are real sensitive right now. I think that the revolver has been wet at sometime. The raised rust on the inside of the swing arm looks as if it was not wiped down.

PzGren

First, Stainless steel will rust. Some will rust faster than others, depending on their composition. Certain elements will let it rust slower, other will make it wear resistant, more flexible, and so on.

Second, if I find a gun dealer, or any other person, that is either stupid or obviously fraudulent, I do not worry about him but move on.

Majic

Since you didn't wipe the substance off and look at the underlying metal to see if it has pitted could the substance be a dried lube? Some of the lubes used by the factories have a reddish tint.