What velocity from short barreled .45???

leedesert

probably just shy of 1000 fps. Maybe between 950 and 1000. My 4" barrel shoots a 185 at about 1050fps, 200 at 990, and 230 at 850.

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16

John Lawson

I chronographed a factory fmj load at 835 from a GM and the same round from an Officers ACP at 650.
Obviously, commercial loads designed for higher velocity are the only way to go.

singleshot

I just did a little test to see. Here are the results.

Ammo 5" 3"

Federal 165 H/s 1024 910
W-W Silvertip 185 994 875
Gold Dot 200 gr. +P 1063 954
Golden Saber 230 848 760

JackNKoch

You need at least a ten and a half inch barrel (such as found on the Thompson M1/1928 SMG) in order for the .45 ACP cartridge to be a reliable "manstopper" with any factory loading. Out of the short 3.5" bbl, the bullet will not have enough velocity to do more than break the skin and perhaps cause an infection if not treated within a few days. I would strongly recommend a barrel swap to .45 Super Mag and fill the magazine with +P+ Duplex frangible/flechette rounds or Sabot SS109 bullets for maximum penetration and tissue distruption.

leedesert

Jacknkoch,
I normally don't respond like this but I hate it when someone asks a sincere question and someone else gives some off the wall on-founded advice.
Are you living in isolation or are you trying to be funny.
A 45 ACP out of a 3.5" barrel will maybe break skin? Would you be will to put your money where your mouth is and let someone shoot you with a gun of those dimensions?Heck, let's do it from 30yds to make it more interesting.
I feel kind of silly even entertaining your comment.
People are stopped and dropped by short barrel 45ACP's all the time. More often by lesser calibers.
What I can't figure out is how a 230grn. 45ACP bullet that can barely penetrate skin can go through a steel drum and come out the other side from 15 yds away. I do this all the time.
Please keep advice to factual imformation, not nonsense. Researched and supported advice are what make this forum so good.

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16

[This message has been edited by leedesert (edited January 01, 2000).]