What upper for AR build?

DFrame

Doing another AR build but undeceided about the upper. My last was a Rock River rifle that was a good shooter but heavy. This one is to be a carbine with telescoping stock. What would you guys recommend for an upper? Please tell me the advantages and disadvantages you see.

THORN74

I used a psa upper on my build, midlenght with a fnh barrel ... worked out nice :D

Topped it with flip up bus from gg&g and an eotech exps2-2

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

DeadCenter

I just built this one not to long ago, the upper is a 14" Noveske Afgan. Advantages are it's solid, accurate, weights in at just under 5 lbs, disadvantage I guess would be the cost. But it is sweet :)

IMG_1779.jpg

Marquezj16

My last build, I used a BCM upper. My next two builds I have another BCM and a YHM upper. I say go with what is available to you. The weight will be determined by the type of barrel you use and maybe the other components.

BTW, nice build Deadcenter.

eldorendo

IF you're talking about a stripped upper, you won't notice a difference in any of the major brands. However, if you have any hopes of qualifying for "Rambolistas Universal", you should use the words, "Noveske" and "Larue" in at least a couple of posts. :cool:

Justice06RR

Deadcenter, that is a sweet rifle!!

is the 5lb weight you mentioned just the upper? because i'm sure the entire rifle is more than that. My roomate has a the same UBR stock on his 300Blackout AR and it is very heavy when I shot it. Its a very solid stock otherwise.

Achilles11B

Blah blah blah Noveske blah blah blah LaRue. Do I qualify now? :D

I'm using a VLTOR stripped upper for my next build, an SPR-ish rifle. I'll post a review once I get it all built...in a few months.

Achilles11B

I wasn't aware of that. But, obviously, if Noveske uses it, it must be the absolute best of the best.

Due to the purpose of the build, I'm not really concerned with the upper itself, most of the focus is going in to the barrel and the trigger when the time comes.

In all seriousness, if the OP is building a general-purpose carbine, BCM is a great place to start looking.

DeadCenter

Deadcenter, that is a sweet rifle!!

is the 5lb weight you mentioned just the upper? because i'm sure the entire rifle is more than that. My roomate has a the same UBR stock on his 300Blackout AR and it is very heavy when I shot it. Its a very solid stock otherwise.

Thanks, I really like it. yeah, the 5lbs is just the upper, I think the entire gun with optics is around 8.5 lbs. I really like the Vltor vis monolithic receiver, its rock solid. I debated whether to go with a light weight build like the skinny moe and add a light weight stock, or go with this one. I'm happy with my decision :)

theP8riot

I couldn't be happier with my BCM upper, Just a Plain Jane 14.5" middy. I have only put about 400 rounds through it but, no failures at all.

ritepath

I've got a recently built lower just waiting for a mate...

But my quandary is more what caliber than what type (for a non 22lr I'd either go with a BCM or PSA)

My problem is what caliber...

I've about decided a dedicated 22 upper is going to be the thing...probably a CMMG. Something the whole family can enjoy.

I still want a 6.8,6.5 or 300 upper to hunt with.

DeadCenter

My problem is what caliber...

I've about decided a dedicated 22 upper is going to be the thing...probably a CMMG. Something the whole family can enjoy.

I've thought about a .22 upper for plinking fun. I've heard good things about CMMG as far as .22 uppers.