What type of holster wears your gun the most?

epic4444

I have a glock 17 and a blued colt commander and i was wondering what kind of holsters wear on the finishes faster...plastic or leather?btw im looking for open carry holsters not concealed...also i was looking into getting a Galco Avenger holster (leather holster open top and bottom with no button snap) but wondering just how secure the gun is just sitting in there?

JohnBrowningIII

Over time the leather will have a more prounounced effect. In the short term the plastic will dig in deep and leave deep scratch's but that is it. The leather will slowly wear a wider wear patern into the edges where the metal touch's the leather. The leather will also hold more moisture and body acid and salt etc....So you will get the purple-brown blueing color change with age in leather that would never happen with plastic.

Personely I do not look at guns as investments not in the classic sense. Sure I try to take care of them but I expect a certain amount of finish wear with any gun that is carried. I also expect my holster to feel decent. I mean let's face it unless you 150lbs. soaking wet no holster is going to fit you nice and stay out of your side so it might as well be some what soft. So if the holster is anyplace other then my leg I want leather. If it on my leg I like plastic.

TripIII

I chose a kydex holster because:

a. More concealable in an inside the waistband rig because it is thinner (comp-tac holster).

b. It has a faster draw out of the box. Many kydex holsters have adjustable screws to tension the holsters grip on the weapon. Not sure if a well worn leather holster is fast or not.

c. Easy to clean to minimize wear on the weapon and all of the other things mentioned by JBIII above.

d. To increase comfort, I stuck "moleskin" from comptac on the side of the holster that may contact my skin.

From everything I have read, it does not seem like there is a great difference in wear between the two. I think either one will produce a very nice "well worn" look on your weapon. What is probably most important is to pick a pistol that has a great finish...HK for me. All the rest is personal preference/experience

gglass

Leather will mar the finish of a handgun far more than Kydex. It is not because leather is abrasive, rather it is because of all the grit and dirt that gets embedded in the leather that makes it act like sandpaper.

I use a gun-snugging Kydex holster that is cleaned often. I also spray the inside with a dry silicone lubricant to ensure that NO contact abrasions form.

AK103K

Theres no way to stop the abrasions, its just one of those inevitable things. The more you use the holster, the more the wear will start to show, regardless of what its made of.

Generally with kydex, the wear is concentrated on the contact points. Leather tends to wear the finish all over, as the leather holsters are usually more fitted, and contact is more broad.

As was mentioned, over time, leather hends to pick up and hold dirt and grit, as well as moisture, which can accelerate wear, and let rust get started. Plastic and kydex dont, and are also easily and quickly cleaned if they should. Guns in plastic or kydex are basically impervious to sweat and moisture.

Keltyke

I prefer leather for comfort and fit to my gun. My carry piece is a "working" gun, a tool - and as such, will get worn from normal use. That's called "character".

bsbllrooster10

nylon?

have you tried the nylon type material. I'm not sure what the name is but that would seem like it wouldn't do any damage to your finish

CajunBass

If you want to keep a gun looking like new, leave it in the box. Holster wear is going to happen.

It's called "honest wear." It adds character.

JDG

The most important thing is to practice drawing from your holster, that alone will get ya some good wear. I prefer horsehide, thin as plastic, practicly no break in, very comfortable:) Sparks WS1 is my fave.

IMG_0552.jpg

jpoolsmyd2

second what Trip said. I also have an HK with a great finish. Hardly any wear at all from my comp-tac (kydex). Of course, I don't draw very often and when I'm not using it the p2000sk stays in the holster in my safe. So very little wear.

BTW, highly recommend the comp-tac minotaur. It is comfortable and can be worn all day. Don't even notice it is there!

spyderdude

I used to be a kydex holster fan, and carried in a Blackhawk Serpa. Only recently have I started carrying in a leather belt holster, and the finish doesn't seem to be wearing any faster than it did when I used my Blackhawk Serpa holster. I usually take the gun out of the holster and wipe down the slide with a silicone cloth after carrying it all day.

No matter what holster you choose, you're going to wear down the finish. Guns are tools that are subject to wear and tear. Here is my current carry setup. I have tried various IWB holsters, both leather and kydex. Every one of them have ended up in my box of un-used holsters.

G19Carrysetup.jpg

P97

If you're concerned about holster wear showing, get a bright stainless gun. I have carried this gun for over 2 years every day. I take it out of the holster at night and when I set on the commode. This would at lease twice a day average that it is in and out of the holster. 2x365=730 time at least that it has been in and out of the holster, and the only place you can see any wear is the top of the front and back sight, where the black has worn bright. I would say that you could carry this gun 50 years and it would show very little holster wear. I carry in a Milt Sparks VM2HS. This a recent picture:
p90-1.jpg

Chesster

For open carry, I usually buy custom due to being a lefty so I prefer a good lined leather holster which I saturate with a good silicone spay before putting a gun it.

2cooltoolz

I don't know and I don't disagree with you guys....

BUT!!

I had just finished reading this on the Robar website:
Which is harder, NP3 or Roguard?
NP3 will be more abrasion resistant because of the Nickel. However, keep in mind that Roguard will wear much better than Bluing, Blackening or Parkerizing! Regardless of the finish, holsters manufactured from Kydex or Nylon seem to wear the finishes faster than leather or horsehide. The NP3 is harder than Roguard.

http://www.robarguns.com/q_and_a.htm

I'm not arguing, because I don't know....but I would expect those guys at ROBAR would....

spyderdude

It is a DeSantis Speed Scabbard and matching double magazine carrier, by far the most comfortable carry set up for me.

The cool thing about the Speed Scabbard is you can either wear the gun straight against your body, or you can wear it at a canted position to hide the grip a little better.