What to use as a Nyclad replacement?

cnemeth

Now that Federal has made their Nyclad line LEO, I need to find a suitable replacement for my 340PD. I've been using the 125 gr .38 spl hp's. What would be the best choice to replace them?

Thanks
Chris Nemeth

P.S.
Maybe we can start a letter writing campaign going to see if Ferderal will reverse their decision?

Kentucky Rifle

Chris...

I've already asked my contact at Federal if a letter writing campaign would change any minds. He said, "No, it was purely an economic decision. We simply weren't selling enough of it". At least that's what he said to me. My wife and I both used Nyclad too. We've switched to RBCD in just about everything. RBCD's .38 special is just 60 gr. However, muzzle velocity is 1705 FPS and muzzle energy is 385 Ft./lbs! Pretty impressive. Non +P also. It costs more, and that puts some people off.
Anyway, RBCD is what is now in our .38 specials.

KR

Melos

RBCD is what I carry in my 342PD.

WinClean for practice. Recoil is close enough to that of RBCD to make this a good carry/practice combo.

Druggie

Consider Remington 110 gr. SJHP's (standard, not +P). I own a 337 AirLite Ti and a 638 AirWeight--+P ammo kicks like hell and offers NO advantage over standard loads in ballistics--especially out of a 2" barrel.

Remington quotes ballistics with this round at 950 fps/220 fpe (I'm sure out of a 4" barrel).

Some reasons why I picked this round to carry:

1. .38 spl. HP's are sometimes marginal in expansion.
2. It's really hard to find a 125 gr. JHP that IS NOT +P.
3. The Remington SJHP has a lead hollow point upper half, and the remainder of the round is copper jacketed.
4. Logically, the lead HP tip should expand more easily than a standard JHP.
5. Remington makes darned good reliable ammo.

I might be blowin' smoke, but this is my carry round...I wish it was 125 gr., but the 125 gr. Remington offers in the SJHP is a +P load...I bought it, shot it, and it's a MOTHER on my hand. The 110 gr. standard load is a *****cat to shoot.

Hope this helps.

Clemson

Chris, I have been happy with the Georgia Arms 125 grain Plus P's. they are new (not reloaded) ammunition in Starline brass with Speer Gold Dot hollow point bullets. They are very securely crimped, and that is significant for people shooting 340's and 342's. I have had no bullet pull problems in my Airlite. www.georgia-arms.com

SouthpawShootr

Look around at gunshows. I always see Federal and Winchester ammo (most of it +P+ hydroshocks) at gunshows. These boxes are marked as for sale to LE only. These dealers sell them to anybody who wants it. In fact one that I talked to said he believed that LE restricted lettering on the box actually makes people want it more. Prices are on par with premium ammo elsewhere. Since this is a company policy, there are no laws to break here. It is the dealer who risks having his supply cut off by selling to non-LE (and we all know that these companies are not going to cut off the revenue). Probably will be some 'net sites carrying it too.

106RR

You can use Black Hills 125gr. blue box. Very accurate, not plus p and cheap. I think the BH uses the Rem 125gr. It is a scallop jacket hollowpoint which expands easily. I tested mine in a snow bank and it expanded. I realize that a snowbank isn't scientific. Recoil is light in a 442 2".
Mike

MADISON

If you were using Nyclad because there was not suppose to be any lead in the air, then PLATED BULLETS is the answer.

juliet charley

Try just the plain old 148-grain wadcutter--preferably a hard cast. It will give you a nice big wound channel.

Chances are probably pretty good you won't see much, if any, expansion out the JHPs, and if you do get any expansion, you probably won't get enough penetration.

It doesn't always have to a "wonder bullet" to work.

Chieftan 6

I use Winchester 158 +P lead semi wadcutter hollow points in my 638, just like I used them in my old 649, and 3" model 60.

Reliable and if the hollow point fails you will shoot through them.

This round is managable althougth not really comfortable to shoot.