Votes: 8 20.5%
  • P-9 Covert

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • PM-9

Votes: 23 59.0%

• Total voters

New_comer

Hello, everyone! ;)

I would like to know your opinions on the three Kahr models. What would be the limitations, advantages of one type over the others in terms of shootability, concealment, availability of accessories, practicality and variety in daily carry? My immediate concern on the covert and micro sizes would be the dangling pinky. How would the shortened grip affect accuracy.

The reason I ask is because I've just discovered who the importer of this gun is, and I'd like to know your opinions before I order...

Thanks to all!

Blackhawk

The dangling pinky won't make any difference. It doesn't with my P-32. The middle and ring finger do the gripping anyway. I'd go for the plastic one because lightness is important. A solid lump of steel like the MK9 can be more difficult to handle gracefully.

So? PM9.

Coltdriver

I used to have a Kahr P-9. Great little 9mm. I put a Pearce Grip extender on the magazine because I wanted that little extra in order to control the pistol. It was not really necessary because the recoil was so soft.

I sold the P-9 and got a Colt Pocket Nine which is on par with the size of the MK-9 only lighter. I used the pearce grip extender on it and it was useful because of the slightly shorter grip.

Sold the Pocket Nine and am in a holding pattern for an PM-9.

I also have a Kahr MK 40 and the pearce grip extender is mandatory for that pistol. For me, it is un controllable on a second shot without the extender.

I will probably use them on my PM 9 when I finally get it.

The pearce extenders just give a little hook for your bottom finger. The cost about $6 for two of em.

Let us know what you do and how much they go for where you live.

popnokick

A VERY good poll to take. It seems you are familiar with the Kahr 9mm polymer line. But I'm confused about your "discovering who the importer is". Kahr's are U.S. made, not imports.

The P9, P9 Covert, and PM 9 are ALL polymer models (unlike the K, MK, and E models). It goes this way:

P9 - 9mm full size
P9 Covert - 9mm shortened grip, full barrel length
PM9 - 9mm shortened grip AND shortened barrel

I have had my P9 Covert for about a year now, 1000+ rounds through it. Very satisfied. I improved the shortened grip with an $8 add-on: a Hogue Universal Hand-All grip sleeve. Helped a lot. For $8 or less try it. If you don't like it, throw it away or stick it on another gun. I'm fairly certain it would help with the PM 9, since the PM is the same grip as the Covert.

My concern with the PM9 would be accuracy (shorter barrel) and recoil (less weight than Covert). However, everything in a good carry weapon is compromise and the smaller size, lighter weight of the PM9 while maintaining 9mm firepower and Kahr reliability are VERY attractive. I have no trouble CCW with the Covert in whatever I want to use (IWB, pocket, ankle); but I am anxious to try shooting a PM9.

Onslaught

I have a Kahr P40, and I'm waiting patiently for the PM9...

I didn't get enough info from you to vote.... But here goes.

If you're going to carry this piece primarily IWB or OWB, then get the P9.

If you're going to carry it primarily ankle or pocket, then it's the PM9.

If you haven't made up your mind, get the Covert.

I personally (that's PERSONALLY, no reflection on the gun or it's owners) have decided that the Covert is the least of both worlds for me... I HATE the pinkie hanging grip, and a grip extension doesn't help me, because the backstrap is still too high for my personal comfort level. BUT I could deal with the pinkie hanging if the slide were short enough to fit in my pocket.

In other words, if I'm going to suffer with a short grip, I want a short slide. If I'm not going to have a short slide, then I want a longer grip, with a consequently longer backstrap, for a more "full" feeling in the hand.

P.S. - I put A-Grip on my P40, and it has made ALL THE DIFFERENCE to me.
I tried the hogue hand-all, and while it felt better to hold, I don't like the palm swells when it's in the holster. They defeated the purpose of having a thin, super-flat pistol. And the lump kept knotting up a spot my back.... I've also found that the Hogue grips are slippery when your hands get sweatty, and they can snag your clothing on the draw.

IRock

Instead of buying a smaller gun and making it bigger with grip extensions. Why wouldn't you just step up to the longer gripped frame (P9 ) and have a extra round. I never understood the thinking there, and see it all the time.

archer215

ive handled them at the gun show a few weeks ago and my personal preference is for the full size p9 as it fit my hand better than the others i tend to lean toward compacts more than subciompacts but thats just my opinion:D

popnokick

The main reason I chose the Covert over the P9 was for the shorter grip. I frequently carry in a pocket holster or on the ankle, and the shorter grip makes that much easier to do. Of course, the PM9 would be best for pocket or ankle.

New_comer

Excellent replies! Appreciate it very much! ;)

What can I say? No experience in pocket guns before, and your comments are truly invaluable in my quest for one.

One thing's for certain: I don't want to get caught up with the novelty of the PM9, and later regret it...

The full-size grip does lend itself to more practical applications as I still dabble a little in sports shooting. My USP has been truly remarkable so far, but does me little in terms of concealed carry. As it is always practically "summer" conditions here in Manila, the Kahr should provide me with greater CC flexibility. So this leads me to incline towards the full-grip 3.5" P9.

But hey, keep 'em coming! Somebody out there is definitely in the market for a Kahr, and your comments should be beneficial to them too. Who knows, I still could be swayed to pick either of the other sizes.

Again, my thanks to all... :D

William V

newcomer,

i'm also from manila and i also plan to get one of these fine pistols. i know a couple of dealers here that sell kahrs but they dont have the models you mentioned. i plan to get the mk9 or the pm9 but i'm really getting frustrated because i havent seen one yet. do you mind sharing with me your information?

thanks!

Eric Larsen

Each has its merit..depending on what its purpose is......

P9..Fullsize grip and comfortably fits more hands than it doesnt. More capacity than the others but only by one...with a flush fitting grip. Light enough to carry for years and slim enough to do it undetected. Dependable, accurate and a good size for a CCW thats versatile enough for a range/home defense gun if you feel the need. My K40 shot better than a Sig today...even surprised me alittle, they are very accurate for their size. Great size for IWB carry with other options as well. Pros...great balance in size, caliber and function...can be carried or shoot at the range. Larger grip is better for quicker followup shots in a defensive situation. Cons..to big for pocket carry in most cases.
Overall, a great Primary CCW and can double as a b/u when needed. Target shooting is nice with this gun and IMO, you will WANT to shoot it more than the others

P9 Covert Same barrel slide etc as the P9, longer barrel will give the same velocity as the P from your defensive round of choice which is important to some. The short grip can conceal alot better than the P9...the grip length is the first thing to make a CCW "print".
The shorter grip will also bring this into the pocket carry realm.
With a short mag for CCW and a back up mag with a Pearce Extension for when you need it or just feel like it...you have a choice which is always good. Pros...velocity that matches the P9 and conceals like the PM9. Carry it anywhere..IWB, pocket or ankle. Cons...the Odd duck of Kahr...great design just didnt catch on..shorter grip may limit followup shots as compared to the P9.
Overall, Great compromise between both. Could be a good Primary CCW and a better b/u gun as well. Not as ergonomic as the P but CCW is a trade off...this is a good example of that.

PM9..the super mini. Shorter both ways and the ulitmate pocket auto, IMO. Short, light and still carrys a big stick. The short barrel will loose a little velocity but its a pocket gun right? Most will live with the trade off. The grip is the same as above and with the shorter barrel, may rise more than the covert...just havent shot one to tell you first hand. Capacity is down from the P9 unless you opt for the longer mag....a good b/u mag but not a primary carry. Pros..damn thats tiny! Put anywhere you feel like it :D but its still big enough to shoot well when you need it. Cons..more muzzle rise and less velocity than the others...especially with the short grip which may limit quick follow up shots.
Overall...great pocket/ankle carry and stellar b/u gun. It wont sweet talk you to the range like the P' series will but should still be fun to shoot....

Shoot well

KSFreeman

I prefer the longer grip so a P9 is my bug (worn on the port side on belt behind my extra mags). I like the longer grip when I am moving and grooving or rolling around in ground fighting--firmer grip (at least I think it is and so it becomes reality in my mind, understand, brasshopper?).

YMMV.:)

New_comer

Very informative, Eric. Thanks a lot! ;)

That 1/2 inch shaved off the grip (and the slide) does allow for a much greater CC flexibility for the Covert and Micro versions, but at the expense of capacity and ammo velocity. Guess I'd have to re-evaluate my original position, and choose with everybody's inputs in mind. Too bad, we don't have a demo gun here to check these traits hands-on. Anyway, this is when my imagination would prove useful... ;)

William,

Hi there! You could call GEMINI Security. They're located near the Milelong in Makati. I don't have their phone number right now, but I know they're listed in our local directory. I just missed their last Kahr unit, an E-9 (economy) model, so I was left with no other recourse but to place an order for a P-9, and hope it arrives in time for the next gun show in late November. BTW, the E-9 proved te be just right size-wise, but the wife complained about the weight (glad I didn't get it! :D). I guess the P-9 would be just perfect, but with the inputs shared, I'm not so sure anymore. I'd give myself a week to decide, before I call them up should I change my mind...

TKHover

I don't mean to offend anyone, but come on guys..how can this poll be valid. 16 people responded that they preferred the PM9. It may be a great gun, but I doubt that many, if any, of the 16 have even seen a PM9. From all indications, it's pretty hard to find and only now making its way to the dealers shelves. I"ve had a P9 for a year and have put 1200 rounds through it. I'm happy with the gun but would never give an opinion on any of the others until I've actually shot them. If I'm wrong, I apologize.
Tom

William V

thanks newcomer! i'll give them a call or visit them this week. yup, i understand there's going to be another gunshow this november and hopefully the newer models will be available by then. thanks again!

shoot safe!

New_comer

You've got that buying itch you just can't scracth, eh, Will? :D I just replied to your cz100 thread...

I could understand your predicament... Can't make up ur mind coz there's a LOT of great guns out there! ;)

And searching for that ideal gun is such sweet agony! :D

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
For IWB carry, P9 seems perfect. It is too large for my pockets, which is why I'll get the PM9 once I can find one around here...

HankB

New_comer, I had a P9. Nice gun to shoot, reasonably accurate, but very unreliable - many and varied problems. It had to go back to Kahr many times for repair. Eventually, Kahr replaced it.

Some people have had good luck with Kahr's polymer pistols, so it would seem they CAN make decent guns. And they have a good service policy. But I found it very annoying to keep sending the pistol back, even when Kahr paid return postage.

I traded the replacement P9 for a G26 which has the virtue of actually working.

I see you're OUS - you need to weigh the hassle you'll have getting repairs if you're unlucky and get a "bad" example of a P-series Kahr.

William V

well newcomer, you've got mixed comments about kahrs' polymer line :)

IMO, go with the steel frame models (better to be safe than sorry) and reduce the chance of having the gun repaired/replaced :) you know how it is here...

shoot safe! :)